"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
2008 SydLexia.com NES Championship

Reply to topic
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

It got flushed down the toilet like an early morning dookie. Seriously, I don't think the videos posted here will help anyone play better except for knowing exactly where the coins are to avoid. But then again if you are playing and participating in the round you already know where the coins are. I see no harm in it. Let us continue on with it!
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
The only problem is, I'm on a Mac. There isn't a good screencasting program AFAIK.

Hey, I'm on a Mac as well. Try using iShowU. It works well for me although Douche claims my vids are eyesores. If you have an intel mac you'll probably be fine. To get the green DEMO VERSION off the screen try using SerialBox. That is all I can tell you
Mitch
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 03:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi's (The winner) pinbot videos are up (3 parts):

Thanks Douche. I guess youtube stopped being such a douche.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
So what happened to not posting results until the challenge was done?

There are two types of videos that are being discussed.

The first type is people who have no skill and are clearly not competing because they think they can win.

These videos are proof of "trying" and/or just entertaining.

On the other hand, people who are actively trying to get as few coins as possible and are capable of doing well, they are not posting anything because that would be sharing secrets.

Is it a perfect rule based system? No. Absolutely not. But does this really need such black and white rules when there are people just playing for the fun of it?

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 03:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
My Contra entry

I actually heard you say "Fuck!!!" when you died by being hit by the bubble.

Not Sure
Too Good At 2D Games
Too Good At 2D Games
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 03:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wait till you see my run. Smile

My Youtube Channel | 2012 NES Challenge standings
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

With the way NotsureBot is playing, we all might as well concede the championship to him/it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Not Sure
Too Good At 2D Games
Too Good At 2D Games
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 04:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey... the people are fighting back, having defeated me 2 rounds in a row.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 06:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, I took him down in round 3 Very Happy

Anyway, I think I know the absolute minimum coins possible, doing it however, is a different story. I have an entry sent in, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet this round.

Remember guys, it's Coins then Time. So if you think someone has the same coins as you clean up your run for best time. If I can nail this perfect run I'm not going to do it again Razz It's definitely difficult and I'll take 2nd if Not Sure can beat me.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Looter
Title: awesome
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 09:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

dont get too cocky not sure i just completed a very lucky (not that it didnt take skill and millions of trys) run that should give u a run for your money. thoese damn hammer bros were nice to me and didnt jump in my face. I swear they give me more trouble than doing the tricks to avoid the coins. maby because im too stubborn to get a damn mushroom.
Not Sure
Too Good At 2D Games
Too Good At 2D Games
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 09:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I might consider improving my run if I weren't so confident.

However, my hubris was my downfall the last 2 challenges. Razz

Ghandi
PostPosted: Jun 29 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This Challenge is won and lost at 8-1. ...and you still may not place as high as you think you should if you were slow.

Mario should have his suits back in this game. I'm sure I could make those jumps if Mario was stuck in a giant boot.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Looter
Title: awesome
PostPosted: Jun 30 2008 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

ya its definitely a bitch when getting a coin is worse than dieing
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jun 30 2008 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How come you can have more than 10 minutes in video on Youtube but I can't?! F THAT!

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jun 30 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, mine's in.

I'm a little irritated that even though one run was very nice (with one major f-up) and another one was horribly ugly, but won with one less coin, that the ugly one is my entry. But meh.
Ghandi
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 07:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't find the motivation to play the game yesterday. Maybe if the important levels weren't so far into the game Very Happy

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

To hell with this challenge. Its my favorite game of all time and I couldn't even come up with anything suitable for turning in. If save states were allowed, I could get it done with zero coins. But that jump in 8-1 is such a pain in the ass, the few times I've made it, I didn't beat the game. Any time I beat it, I had too many coins. Because I was just dubbing over everything, thinking I was going to come up with something better, the end result was me not having anything to turn it. I was so burned out on the challenge, I didn't even feel like putting together a last minute desperation video. This pisses me off because this is a game that I'm really good at. Oh well.

drewbocop
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
To hell with this challenge. Its my favorite game of all time and I couldn't even come up with anything suitable for turning in. If save states were allowed, I could get it done with zero coins. But that jump in 8-1 is such a pain in the ass, the few times I've made it, I didn't beat the game. Any time I beat it, I had too many coins. Because I was just dubbing over everything, thinking I was going to come up with something better, the end result was me not having anything to turn it. I was so burned out on the challenge, I didn't even feel like putting together a last minute desperation video. This pisses me off because this is a game that I'm really good at. Oh well.

Quoted for truth. I came to this conclusion on the 2nd day, lol...

Rycona wrote:
Now that rainbows are confiscate of the Gay Empire Or Whatever©, they're suspect to foul play. People follow it expecting a pot of gold and a leprechaun, but all they find is a mannequin with a melted ass and a bloody rubber inside... and a leprechaun.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Anything that beats the game is good for points. May as well, even if your coin total is in the double digits.

I think so many people are shooting for 1st place that they're even refusing to consider a lower placing. You never know how your run will compare to others, so why not give it a shot?
Ghandi
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Douche, the sydapedia could use a hand with your records on where everyone placed. We're trying :p

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Ghandi
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:

I think so many people are shooting for 1st place that they're even refusing to consider a lower placing.

Perhaps, but not me Razz I successfully did the Challenge 3 times where I increasingly got lower coins, after that I was burned out and fine with how I had done. I don't know where I'll be, but frustration won out after getting irritated on the same stage every time.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Quote:

Anything that beats the game is good for points. May as well, even if your coin total is in the double digits.

I think so many people are shooting for 1st place that they're even refusing to consider a lower placing. You never know how your run will compare to others, so why not give it a shot?

Um.. my run where I only got to 8-1 counts for points. You get points for trying. A run that beat the game with 9999999999 coins would beat me if it got further.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 01:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi wrote:
Hey Douche, the sydapedia could use a hand with your records on where everyone placed. We're trying :p

Ick.. yeah it looks like things got really botched up there.

Week 2 has two people ranked at #7

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 01:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
Quote:

Um.. my run where I only got to 8-1 counts for points. You get points for trying. A run that beat the game with 9999999999 coins would beat me if it got further.

I suppose you're right. I could just run through it real quick. Is it too late? What time do I need is submitted by?

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 01 2008 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Um.. my run where I only got to 8-1 counts for points. You get points for trying.

Yeah, but he was talking about not submitting -anything-. That gets you zero.
Reply to topic

Jump to: