SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Nintendo Revolution renamed

Reply to topic
RegalSin
PostPosted: May 10 2006 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well personally I think your going to have to hit home to get them to change names. Like E-mailing the kids of the peopl who is part of Nintendo or Nintendo Employees home address.

Personally I give up on Nintendo Revelution from the start. The y never really needed to upgrade and they never really used the power of the Gamecube. I mean even N64 had more heavy hitters then Gamecube.

The Gamecube is the next closet thing to the SNES2 but still not as close as PSX.
If PS3 was curved like a CD player with a grey top I would just buy that. It's just not worth it anymore talking to Nintendo.

Also there consoles are made or directed towards kids n the USA while the Japanese Market is towards everybody else. If I am correct there is killer novels and various sex games on the SNES.

It's just not worth it anymore to try and make a diffrence for family Nintendo
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 10 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After seeing the line-up and everything, I'm already over the name change.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 10 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
After seeing the line-up and everything, I'm already over the name change.

I'm over it to an extent, but it shouldn't be something that one has to get over. The thing I tend to hate about Nintendo is that blatantly ignore criticism and they don't admit their mistakes (Virtual Boy, making the N64 cartridge-based) until years later. The thing that bugs isn't so much the name, it's that the name is unpopular, particularly with nonfans, which is in direct conflict with their stated goal of making a system that appeals to all demographics. The GTA crowd has already written off the system based on its name, and that frustrates me. Nintendo is under the delusion the system will sell itself. Unfortunately, that's not true. It may sell itself to fanboys, gamers who can appreciate the technology, and parents looking for a cheaper alternative to 360 and PS3, but it's not going to win over any new followers. Image is a huge part of business and right now, Nintendo is still perceived as a kiddie company. While this image is completely misguided, Nintendo does tend to lose out on a lot of licenses. Tomb Raider Legends is currently on every platform (XBox, PS2, PSP, PC, 360) EXCEPT Nintendo. Games like Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, Manhunt, and GTA: San Andreas also made it onto both XBox and PS2 but not GCN. If Nintendo is try to make a system for everyone, it has to be able to offer a wide variety of games in EVERY ESRB rating. And in order to entice developers to offer titles like GTA that aren't currently on Nintendo, they need to show that there's a market for it. And in order to get that market, they need a name that's slightly less gay.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
RegalSin
PostPosted: May 10 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well GTA: Vice City in Japan is only on PC since they do not allow both sex and violence games on consoles.

Also Thinking about it the kiddies will be like Nintendo Weeeeeeddd right about now.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Oct 12 2015 07:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, looking back at this topic is kind of strange. So many people were against the Wii name. Nowadays, I don't think many people remember that it was going to be called Revolution. Personally, I like the name. It conveyed that this was a console that EVERYONE could play. Revolution sounds like a name that caters specifically to the hardcore gaming crowd.

It's also interesting seeing some people thought that the name doomed the console to failure. Especially Syd's comment that there's no way a system named Wii could be the #1 or even #2 console. As the Wii's incredible sales proved, that was entirely false, and it was the #1 console of the generation, #2 if the DS is taken into consideration. Nintendo dominated last generation despite the name. I also saw people commenting (humorously, of course) that this system would be ideal for quadriplegics and people who couldn't move much. And yet, motion controls really drove the system, making this a shitty console for people like that.

Hindsight can really be a funny thing, can't it?

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

LeshLush
PostPosted: Oct 12 2015 08:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HardcoreGamer4Ever wrote:
Wow, looking back at this topic is kind of strange. So many people were against the Wii name. Nowadays, I don't think many people remember that it was going to be called Revolution. Personally, I like the name. It conveyed that this was a console that EVERYONE could play. Revolution sounds like a name that caters specifically to the hardcore gaming crowd.

It's also interesting seeing some people thought that the name doomed the console to failure. Especially Syd's comment that there's no way a system named Wii could be the #1 or even #2 console. As the Wii's incredible sales proved, that was entirely false, and it was the #1 console of the generation, #2 if the DS is taken into consideration. Nintendo dominated last generation despite the name. I also saw people commenting (humorously, of course) that this system would be ideal for quadriplegics and people who couldn't move much. And yet, motion controls really drove the system, making this a shitty console for people like that.

Hindsight can really be a funny thing, can't it?

You know what was a really shitty choice of name, though? Wii U.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Oct 12 2015 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I will agree with that. Made many people think it was just going to be an upgrade or add on for the Wii rather than a new console. It's a great system, but horrible, horrible name. At least it's better than the Wii U's code name, Project Cafe. Now that name was awful.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Nov 06 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can see where Syd was coming from in his post as everyone felt the same way about the name when we first heard it....

However the Wii is the 2nd best Nintendo console system ever made after the NES IMHO. N64 sucked, SNES was pretty much on par with Genesis game wise except for a few titles and the Gamecube was what the Wii should have been. The PS2 was the more logical choice in that generation.

From a hardware design standpoint its almost perfect. It didn't have top of the line hardware but it was efficiently made, cost effective and never overheated or gave weird issues like the 360/PS3. It was a great system for the casual adult gamer who also played AAA titles on PC.

Paired with a classic controller it is the best emulation machine. I love finding them in the wild for 30 bucks. They work 9/10 times so I can buy one without testing and know it will work enough for me to mod it. It is under appreciated right now from a collector standpoint but it was the last real console system that didn't rely on online content and DLC like we have today.

The Wii U however is a piece of shit. I bought one for my daughter and now she mainly uses it for Netflix and it makes no real sense to sell as I would get like 100 bucks for it. It was more than double the cost of the original Wii when I got it but I thought the first party future titles would justify the cost down the line. Well we waited like 3 years for Mario Kart and it still isn't supremely better than the Wii version for as long as we had to wait. Splatoon is ok but even it gets boring after a while. New Super Mario Wii U was good but I wish they had made more of that same style for the original Wii instead of making me dole out 400 bucks for a platform game you get tired of in a week. Also the adult titles sucked like COD with barely anyone playing and just an inferior experience even over older 360.

Im done with Nintendo now even if there next gen console system is good. PS4 and PC is good enough for me to fullfill all my gaming wants and needs and anything casual I can just play on my phone since Nintendo makes mobile now. I am sure some of feel differently but its just the way the market is going.

Reply to topic

Jump to: