Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's now called the Nintendo Wii.

WTF?

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

NINTENDO WHEEEEEE!
RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 05:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Where is Waldo when you need him? Who was fired for this at Nintendo corp? Wii this is obviously some kind of advertment strategy to get people like me who will not buy any new console this time around. What I noticed the controller is shaped a bit diffrently. So was the Revolution a front and now people will be talking about Wii?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 06:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's probably some sort of acronynm like how DS stands Dual Screen. Still, it's a very bizarre name. I'm going to buy the system anyway, but I wish they would have stuck with Revolution (even though it was just the developmental name) or come up with something less silly.

I would have preferred:

NES-5
N^5
Wii (pronounced "why" instead of "we")

We is the sound that pigs make. We is the sound that little girls on swing sets make. We is what toddlers do in their pants. I sincerely urge everyone to contact Nintendo and express displeausure with this name. If it gets enough bad or tepid feedback, they may reconsider.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Chrisby
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 06:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wii will Wii will rock you.

There's about 8 million YTMNDs of this that were spawned in the span of about....5 hours or so.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 06:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It just sounds awkward.

I need a Wii.
Wanna play some Wii?
I've got a Wii.

Ick.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 06:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ULTRA 64, remember that one?

I made a new sig for you, Syd.

If you're not gonna use it, I am. Hahaha.
Kurt
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wii?

Wheeeeee!

I almost half-shit my pants from laughing. No, really.

Quote:

I've got a Wii.

Sereously, why change a better, if sorta impractical name to a shitty, if very impractical name?

Quote:
We is the sound that pigs make. We is the sound that little girls on swing sets make. We is what toddlers do in their pants. I sincerely urge everyone to contact Nintendo and express displeausure with this name. If it gets enough bad or tepid feedback, they may reconsider.

I doubt it, seeing as not very many of us are Japanese.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kurt wrote:
Sereously, why change a better, if sorta impractical name to a shitty, if very impractical name?

Remember when the Gamecube was codenamed Dolphin and people were worried the name would bury it? Remember how Nintendo had the foresight to change it to something better? They've done the exact opposite this time.
SamanthaMcPoopenstein
Title: Gadabout Ragamuffin
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 08:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Revolution was perfectly fine, why wii? That's really, really strange.

All I can think of, is maybe the guys at the company had some remorse for giving the system such a high and mighty name. Telling everyone they were going to change the face of gaming with their revolution. Maybe they didn't want to oversell it?

Well, it is a little late for that. I'm still going to get one.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 09:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's wiidiculous.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

SamanthaMcPoopenstein wrote:
Well, it is a little late for that. I'm still going to get one.

Oh, it's still got my money. But I'm going to have a hard time explain to various idiots that I bought a system called Wii. And that annoys me. Plus, I was really hoping to see t-shirts with Mario dressed as Che Guevara.

But there's not a whole lot of love for the system name anywhere. Penny Arcade came out against it and it is getting absolutely REAMED in the GameFaqs poll of the day. As of the time of writing this, less than 10% of 24,000 people polled like the name. 30% of people don't like it as much as Revolution or think the name could have been worse and 61% of people absolutely hate it.

As a supporter of the Big N, I am often left in a position where I have to either defend or apologize for their decisions. I hope for once they listen to the public, though history tells us that they probably won't.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They could've called it: The Nintende TBDSE*

The best damn system ever!*

I'd buy a system called that. Just like the "Nintendo Damn Straight!"

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You can contact Nintendo using the following form:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp
RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
You can contact Nintendo using the following form:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

My Explorer will not open the webpage and no I will not upgrade anything.

If I say anything there will the idea might be picked up?

I have alot of ideas for Nintendo and various other companies but really?
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I HATE GOD!

RIP Hacker.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 05:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the reply I got from Nintendo... my original message is at the bottom. Their webform destroyed my paragraphs. Also, it's a bit overdramatic.

To: <Syd_Lexia@SydLexia.com>
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 7:24 PM
Subject: Re : Webform: Revolution > None Selected

Message(#6851-000498-0372\4980372)

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments regarding the name of our next home console. If you haven't yet had the opportunity, please click the link below to learn why Nintendo chose this unique name:

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Rest assured that your feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate department for further review.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Alex Loren

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

-----

Take our Survey! You have been chosen to participate in an e-mail quality survey. This should take less than 5 minutes. Please click here.

-----

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
-----------------

Posted At: 09:25:50.000 04/28/2006
Posted To: Nintendo <nintendo@noa.nintendo.com>
Subject: Webform: Revolution > None Selected

By now, NOA is probably looking at the public response to the Revolution name change and wondering what to do. The answer is simple: CHANGE IT BACK. Let me start of by saying that I am a huge Nintendo fan. I got an NES for Christmas back in 1989 and I never looked back. I currently own a GCN, DS, and a NES-style GBA and I have *never* owned a non-Nintendo system. I love your company. I love the games that you guys make and I love your innovations. You guys took a big risk with the DS, and it paid off. It was an absolutely brilliant system. The Revolution is an even bigger risk, but I believe it can work. However, I do not believe it will work as the Wii. The Revolution was an exciting name. It made me feel like I was part of something big. The Wii does not. Wii is a completely goofy name and will not help to increase your market share. The XBox crowd will write it off right off the bat. Im begging you, please change it back to Revolution. I know it was just a developmental name, but you'd be hard pressed to come up with something better. You certainly havent yet. If youre against sticking with the Revolution, may I at least suggest either N^5 or NES-5? Do you know how hard it is being a Nintendo fan? So-called mature gamers constantly berate your systems as being made for kids. I vehemently disagree and I am out there on the frontlines every day defending your company and trying to win people over to the Nintendo side. There are lots of diehard Nintendo fans like me out there doing the same thing. Unfortunately, this Wii name isn't doing us any favors. In fact, it is SEVERELY hurting the cause. I'd like to see Nintendo have the #1 home console in the US, if not #1, then a commanding second place. Wii cannot do that, Revolution can. Please listen to reason. You are in the midst of a fiasco that rivals the New Coke ordeal.
RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 06:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds like a computerized message that somebody sent back by pressing 1 =.

Personally I want the real adresses of the people who makes the games and not the people who are sitting in the booths checking to see if a terrorist treath will be sent to Nintendo.

To be honest who the heck even understands anything from looking at the Wii page.
I bet somebody at Nintendo said the apocolypse is coming lets rename the system...WWWEEEEEEEeeee.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 07:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

Congratulations, you've made a console for quadrapalegics.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 29 2006 08:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:

Congratulations, you've made a console for quadrapalegics.

Really I get it this time there trying to be Nintendo the game company that promotes people who is barely unable to move a muscle.

Whats funny about this is the system they really had for quadrapalegics on the SNES.

Now we some game only bubble boy would be able to play and something that promotes people in Special ED. No really.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 10 2006 03:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The... ahem... Wiimote.

Is it wiimarkable, or wiipulsive?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 10 2006 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They unveiled the controller months ago, doesn't look like it's changed much other than the buttons on the attachment. I guess I'll have to see how it plays. And again, not all games will necessarily use it. The Revolution, as far as I know, is still supposed to be backwards compatible with the GCN and will be able to use its controllers.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 10 2006 04:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet, I was unaware of the controller backards-compatability.

Yeah, it doesn't look much different than the one from a while back, but they're claiming this is the "final" version -- or close enough to final, anyway. I still think the thing looks bizarre. But then, that's what I thought about the N64 controller, and look what---

Wait, no, that's still a bizarre controller.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 10 2006 04:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If the controller isn't finalized, I can only hope the name isn't either. At their press conference, a Nintendo spokesperson thanked "all two of you" who liked the name Wii and said they wouldn't change it. That begs the question, why WOULDN'T they change if they acknowledge that no one likes it?
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 10 2006 04:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
If the controller isn't finalized, I can only hope the name isn't either. At their press conference, a Nintendo spokesperson thanked "all two of you" who liked the name Wii and said they wouldn't change it. That begs the question, why WOULDN'T they change if they acknowledge that no one likes it?

Because everyone will buy it anyway.

I'm not saying it's a good reason. But it is a reason.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 10 2006 04:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I sent them another e-mail because I've become agitated by this whole thing once again:

Nintendo hinted at E3 that the Wii controller is not quite finalized. If the controller is not finalized, I ask you to reconsider the name. In a press conference, a Nintendo spokesperson even acknowledged the unpopularity of the name, thanking "all two of you" who liked the name. You guys have said that the name symbolizes how it is supposed to be a system for everyone. Well, how can you hope to sell a system to "everyone" when the majority of people in polls on popular gaming sites such as GameFAQs and IGN either hate the name or find it to be mediocre at best? I buy my systems based on what they can do, not what their named, but not everyone does. The sad fact is that many people with purchasing power consider Nintendo consoles to be "kiddie consoles" and a silly name only serves to reinforce that perception and it gives them ample ammunition to mock Nintendo fanboys such as myself. You need to change the name. Call it anything. Call it the Revolution again. Call it Nintendo Five. Call it Nintendo Wireless. Call it just plain old Nintendo. But this Wii thing has to go. As much as I hate to say it, this isn't 1992 anymore. Nintendo isn't invincible anymore. You NEED a different name.
Reply to topic

Jump to: