[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Remake of The Fog: will it suck?

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 01 2005 03:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So Hollywood is remaking John Carpenter's The Fog. After seeing what they did with Assault on Precinct 13, I am pretty sure this is a terrible idea. The original Assault was fucking classic that rivaled Halloween in terms of creepiness and suspense; the remake was a cheesy action film where the bad guys talks way too much. As far as I concerned, you really CAN'T remake Carpenter. Oh sure, you can take an old Carpenter script and rewrite it and reshoot it, but you'll never do the original film justice. Carpenter has a signature style that makes his films what they are. I don't know I'm explaining it well, but Tim Burton films are the same way. You can't remake Beetlejuice because the film is synonymous with Burton's artistic vision.

I actually might watch The Fog remake though. The original film is far from my favorite Carpenter flick, so it might fun to see what they do with it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 01 2005 03:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even John Carpenter was unhappy with The Fog. However, I hear this film will not be on the original style, which was a gore free ghost story. The footprints on the ceiling I see the trailer for the new one, seems in the same vain as this vision, but I heard they were going the gory route...

Will it suck? IDK. For what it's worth, I enjoyed AoP13 because it was a fun dumb action flick. Lots of action blah blah blah, etc.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 01 2005 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did you see the original version though?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 01 2005 07:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hell yeah, I did. Both of them.

AoP13 - Kinda slow, but hey any movie that kills a Disney kid ON SCREEN is pure magic in my opinion.

The Fog - Kind of a 2nd rate slasher pic. I enjoyed it overall, but I think they had more fun making it than I had watching it.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 02 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just remembered I wrote a song with garageband that I was inspired to make after watching John Carpenter's AoP13.

http://www.macjams.com/song/2855

Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 05 2005 03:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

SOOOOOOO The Fog remake is PG-13, eh...

Mad

Twisted Evil

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 05 2005 06:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

The original might have gotten a PG-13 rating if it had existed at the time... It wasn't all that violent.
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 05 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, but I'm very ho-hum to all PG-13 horror films. They all feel like their trying to be something thier not. I haven't really seen a good 13 horror film... like ever. For me it goes from the G rated Mr. Boogedy to the friendly R hated horror films.

On the other hand, the first cut of JC'S The Fog was supposedly going to have a PG rating, because it was much more of a old fashioned "ghost story" with no slasher scares, but atmosphere ones. That still appeals to me. If this new Fog can find that appeal, I'm all for it... but that's not what their hyping it to be.

Reply to topic

Jump to: