[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
God I hate Massachusetts

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Uppity liberal bastards in Massachusetts have pressured Kellogg's to stop advertising to children until they increase the nutrional content of their cereals: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070614/ap_on_he_me/kids_food

"By committing to these nutrition standards and marketing reforms, Kellogg has vaulted over the rest of the food industry," said Michael F. Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "This commitment means that parents will find it a little easier to steer their children toward healthy food choices — especially if other food manufacturers and broadcasters follow Kellogg's lead."

Jacobson's nutrition advocacy group, along with two Massachusetts parents and the Boston-based Campaign For A Commercial-Free Childhood, had served notice in January 2006 of intent to sue Kellogg and the Nickelodeon cable TV network under a Massachusetts law to stop them from marketing junk food to kids.

One of the groups is called Campaign For A Commercial-Free Childhood.

A commercial-free childhood? FUCK THAT. That goes against everything I stand for.

I hereby declare war against the CCFC. I don't wish death upon them, but if they do die, I'll most certainly piss of their graves. Then I'll put it on YouTube.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JStrangiato
Title: El Hombre Strangiato
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What happened to the good old days when parents taught their kids eat healthily instead of placing all the blame on advertisers? If you want your kids to not eat sugary cereal, just tell them no. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

My music/humor blog (R.I.P.): http://lavidastrangiato.blogspot.com/
Chondra "Mrs. Claudio" Sanchez on Enshin a.k.a. Jake Strangiato wrote:
I really like this person.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't you heard? Parents don't have to be responsible for their children anymore.
S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Uh, didn't you know that parents aren't supposed to actually parent their children anymore? The government and self-righteous "watchdog" groups are more than willing...nay, they demand!...to raise your children how they see fit.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

enshinkarateman wrote:
What happened to the good old days when parents taught their kids eat healthily instead of placing all the blame on advertisers? If you want your kids to not eat sugary cereal, just tell them no. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Exactly.

It's not like there aren't healthy cereals like Cheerios and Kix out there. And it's not like kids have any buying power. Kids can't eat Frosted Flakes if you don't fucking buy it for them.

I just had this nightmarish flash of an apocalyptic future where Count Chocula and Frankenberry have been replaced with Count Branula and Colonbury.

S. McCracken wrote:
Uh, didn't you know that parents aren't supposed to actually parent their children anymore? The government and self-righteous "watchdog" groups are more than willing...nay, they demand!...to raise your children how they see fit.

If there's one thing that history should have taught us by now it's that we should never allow a small but increasingly vocal minority of people to implement measures that are "for your own good" or "in society's best interest" because it never turns out well. I know the Holocaust is a rather tired example, but if the oven fits...
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
S. McCracken
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I would probably eat Count Branula.

I'd probably stay the hell away from Tony the Tofu, though.

"They're gggggggggggggggay!"

Or the new Rice Krispies guys, "Choke Down", "Digest", and "Keep Regular".

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just read about this. Ridiculous. Is life worth living without Toucan Sam? I propose that it is not.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:

Goddammit Spanky, you have no idea how hard I had to try to keep the entire office building from hearing me laugh.
S. McCracken
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
S. McCracken wrote:

Goddammit Spanky, you have no idea how hard I had to try to keep the entire office building from hearing me laugh.

I regret nothing!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In a free society, we should have the choice to eat whatever we want. Foie gras was banned in Chicago last year, which I'm pretty sure was the last city in the US where it was legal. I would have liked to have tried it, as it's considered a delicacy, but that dream is now effectively dead.

I know what's the healthy and what's not, and I demand the right to choose for myself what I consume. My worst fear is that one day I'll walk into a Burger King and hear this:

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's people like this that cause oppression, because their idea of a utopia is where everything is safe and regulated, instead of being free, yet peaceful. Assholes!

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 07:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
My worst fear is that one day I'll walk into a Burger King and hear this:

WOOT! A scene from the workprint of Brain Candy! I miss that subplot, even if it went nowhere... Sad

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Jun 14 2007 07:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CEREAL IS CLOGGING OUR KIDS ARTERIES!

ARTERIES ARE A SERIES OF TUBES, THEY'RE NOT A TRUCK!

I figured given the urgency of the situation, all caps was necessary.

There never was an image here, what the fuck are you talking about?

Reply to topic

Jump to: