SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Why isn't it legal for me to kill people?

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 02 2007 01:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=23639

God, 1st Paris adorers and now Lindsay Lohan followers. So many people need to be put out of our misery.

EDIT: More tidbits from a sick society. There's a new Dutch reality show about to air. What's the prize for the lucky winner? The chance to live!

I am not shitting you.

Here's the scoop:

Step aside Big Brother housemates - three dying contestants competing for a donated kidney will plunge reality television to fresh lows this week.
A terminally ill cancer patient will gift one of her kidneys to one of three recipients chosen by a television audience, in a bizarre Dutch program.
Viewers will watch video clips depicting the three "contestants" chatting about their lives - and then will vote via text message to literally save one.
The identities of the would-be recipients will be kept secret until the program airs, but it is known all are Dutch, and aged between 18 and 40.
Donor Lisa, 37, is believed to have wanted to establish a connection with the recipient of her organ rather than donating anonymously.
She reportedly agreed to participate in the reality program after failing to decide on a suitable recipient herself.

EDIT 2: Thank god, it turns out that the reality show was a hoax:

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A Dutch reality show in which a supposedly dying woman had to pick one of three contestants to receive her kidneys was revealed as a hoax on Friday.

Identified only as "Lisa", the 37-year-old woman turned out to be a healthy actress but the three candidates were genuine kidney patients, details the show's producers revealed in the last minutes of the "The Big Donorshow".

"Their life is bitter reality," the presenter said, after revealing the deception at the moment when Lisa was to have made her life-saving choice.

The show, co-produced by makers of "Big Brother" Endemol, had said its aim was to focus attention on a chronic need for donor organs but it was condemned by the Dutch prime minister ahead of transmission and sparked controversy worldwide.

"I think you can make a show like this one once. Nobody else can do a show like this," said Paul Roemer, head of Endemol Netherlands. "For me, it already worked. Tonight, we had 12,000 applications for donor cards."

Dutch Education Minister Ronald Plasterk hailed the show as a "fantastic stunt" and an intelligent way to draw attention to the shortage of organs.

However Kuik Bas, a spokesman for the Health Ministry, said: "This is not the proper way to get more donors."

The Netherlands has one of the lowest donor rates in Europe, according to data compiled by the country's Health Council.

(Read the full story here: http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSL3147302220070601 )
Reply to topic

Jump to: