SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Diamond Select has the BSG license...

Reply to topic
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: May 20 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...and I spent more than $100 preordering every figure announced thus far.

Apollo, Helo, "Sexy" Six in red dress, and "Caprica" Six in black. Also, not pictured, is the Time and Space Toys "Hot Dog" exclusive. The first wave is also said to include a DST exclusive Chief figure and a Suncoast/FYE exclusive Anders.

Thank God I slowed down my "Star Wars" collecting. This is going to be insane.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 20 2007 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Diamond Select annoys me. They have the Buffy license and at one point, I was looking into buying a Dawn figure so I could do a series of comics about Michelle Trachtenberg. Unfortunately, Diamond is not good at doing female sculpts. All the Dawn figures they had make her look like she was 40.

I have the same complaint about these BSG figures. The male figures look pretty much exactly like the actors , but the Six figure doesn't even begin to do justice to the amazing hotness of Tricia Helfer. The Six sculpt looks like one of those nightmarish Star Without Their Make-Up features that the Enquirer is goddam fond of running.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 20 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Diamond Select annoys me. They have the Buffy license and at one point, I was looking into buying a Dawn figure so I could do a series of comics about Michelle Trachtenberg. Unfortunately, Diamond is not good at doing female sculpts. All the Dawn figures they had make her look like she was 40.

I have the same complaint about these BSG figures. The male figures look pretty much exactly like the actors , but the Six figure doesn't even begin to do justice to the amazing hotness of Tricia Helfer. The Six sculpt looks like one of those nightmarish Star Without Their Make-Up features that the Enquirer is goddam fond of running.

Well, you can always acquire the license yourself and have your company make it. Oh wait, you don't have a toy company!

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 22 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry Black Zarak, you're right. Because I don't have my own toy company, I shouldn't be able to criticize poor sculpts done by various toy companies.

I don't have my own video game company either, so I guess I shouldn't make fun of Bandai's games.

And I've never run my own country, so I can't criticize Hitler.

I apologize. I forgot we live in a society where only industry insiders can have opinions. about any given industry. Maybe someday, if we're lucky, society may evolve to the point where consumers are allowed to publicly voice opinions about saleable products. Oh, how I long for that day... must it be just a pipe dream?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: May 22 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

RACE WAR! Race war! Syd's gonna fight Black Zarak! RACE WAR!!!

RACE WAR!

Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 22 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I'm sorry Black Zarak, you're right. Because I don't have my own toy company, I shouldn't be able to criticize poor sculpts done by various toy companies.

I don't have my own video game company either, so I guess I shouldn't make fun of Bandai's games.

And I've never run my own country, so I can't criticize Hitler.

I apologize. I forgot we live in a society where only industry insiders can have opinions. about any given industry. Maybe someday, if we're lucky, society may evolve to the point where consumers are allowed to publicly voice opinions about saleable products. Oh, how I long for that day... must it be just a pipe dream?

It's about damn time you came to your senses!

Seriously though, I only said that because as an artist who aspires to be a toy sculptor someday, it's not cool when you spend months and months on a project getting it as close to perfect as you can and then the art patrons/fans/whathaveyou start complainig about how you suck. Especially before the product is even out. Even with the sort of 3-D scanning of actors that many companies use these days, sculptors are still required to touch-up pieces after the initial sculpts are made. And I don't know how Diamond's sculptors feel on the subject personally, but I find that humans in general and women in particular are extremely hard to get "perfect" in one's work. Also, these aren't released yet, right? It's entirely possible that these are just painted resin hard copies to be used for solicitations and the final products could have much better sculpts. Also, also, I've seen their Buffy figures and while I didn't watch the show, I do know what Michelle Trachtenburg looks like and I disagree that Diamond sculpted her looking forty. Also, also, also, if you want a horrible female headsculpt, go find Leia from the 95 Power of the Force 2 line, known by collectors as "Monkey-Leia."

And you know, if you don't like the product, you have no obligation to buy it. I made the factory crack because unless you have the money, tools and skills to sculpt a better version of these figures yourself (and I know you don't, you broke bastard), you don't really have any validity in saying they suck. To paraphrase and slightly rework a conversation between Bart and Comic Book Guy: "They've given you hours of [action figure] entertainment for [moderate prices], if anything you owe them!" "Worst Battlestar Galactica figures ever."

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 22 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fair enough.

And I would never diss any toys you made. So, uh, make some.

How about an electric blanketmobile?
Black Zarak
PostPosted: May 22 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Fair enough.

And I would never diss any toys you made. So, uh, make some.

How about an electric blanketmobile?

You've been reading my top secret plans!

Reply to topic

Jump to: