[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Knyte's VGM : Happy Sweet 16, Chun Li.

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 09 2007 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

16 years ago, the only females you ever saw in a video game, was the one's that you were sent to rescue. The poor helpless madiens that had been kidnapped by the evil Warlord, Monkey, Aliens, etc. And, it was up to the big brave male hero to save them. But then in 1991, a game came out called Street Fighter II : The World Warrior.

You had master fighters from all over the world come together to fight in a tournament to see who was the greatest in the world. You hade Ryu and E.Honda from Japan, Ken and Guile from the USA, Dhalsim from India, Blanka from brazil, and Zanghief from the former USSR. All men with Atlas-like bodies ready to show their worth. But then, there was an 8th entry into the tournament. From the land of China came a police officer who worked for Interpol, trying to track down M.Bison, a dangerous terrorist and killer of the officer's father. The only way to get close enough to M.Bison was to enter the tournament and win it for a chance to face him in the finals. Who was this cop on a mission of vengence? HER name was Chun-Li.

And for only being a character in a "fighting game", she had quite the detailed history behind her:

Vital Statistics

Affiliation: ICPO Special Detetctive

Fighting style: Wu-Shu

Birthplace: China

Birthdate: March 1, 1968

Height: 5' 8" (173cm)

Weight: ?kg (a lady never tells.)

3 sizes: B88, W58, H90

Blood type: A

Special Skill: Shooting (ranked 6th in an international contest)

Dislikes: Crime, Indecisive People, M. Bison

Chun-Li was an Interpol investigator who had been searching for clues to the recent death of her father. Getting into a friendly spar with an old teacher of hers and friend of her father, Gen, he gives her a lead into who may have killed her father-the mysterious crime syndicate Shadowloo. Finding its leader, M. Bison, she demands he tell her what happened to her father. To her surprise, Bison attacks and basically makes quick work of her, then flies away, laughing at her and telling her if she attacks him again he'll kill her-just like he did to her father. Chun-Li, tears in her eyes, swore revenge.

Chun-Li teamed up with an American Air Force member, Charlie, to try to track and take down Shadoloo. She then ran into someone she wouldn't have expected at all-Charlie's good friend and fellow lieutenant, Guile. Telling him he shouldn't get in over his head and to leave the two be, she learns he has orders to bring Charlie back. Attempting to use force to stop him, she instead finds herself defeated and begging him to leave them alone, to which he replies that he'll never abandon friends in need. Eventually, learning that Bison tricked the Air Force into cancelling the planned bombing of the main Shadoloo base, she rushed over to the two soldiers to tell them they were tricked and would have to destroy the base on their own. Chun-Li proceeded to plant bombs about the base as Charlie and Guile headed inside to destroy the Psycho Drive, but Guile then came rushing out, grabbing Chun-Li and telling her Charlie had urged both of them to get away. Along the way Chun-Li saw a young girl escaping with several others (who turned out to be Cammy leading the Dolls away from the base). Despite being distraught over the initial lack of evidence to prove Shadoloo's crimes, Interpol and Chun-Li managed to shut down much of the evil crime empire.

Chun-Li received an invitation to the second World Warrior tournament, and discovered that Bison had apparently survived the Thailand base's destruction. With this, she had the clear motive of destroying Shadoloo and avenging her father once again. The outcome of this tournament is not clear, but there are strong hints that Chun-Li earned the right to face Bison and possibly won the tournament.

Having made her peace, she continued her work as a police officer, and retired from mainstream street fighting to teach young girls martial arts after taking down Shadoloo for good. Urien has kidnapped a young child for his scientific projects and Chun-Li manages to catch up to him. Challenging him, she does her best to fight him and Urien, impressed by his opponent's fighting spirit, agrees to let the child go. Since then, Chun-Li has continued to raise her adopted kids.

Before there was Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, or even wannebe fighter Sonya Blade, there was Chun-Li.

So here's to your 16th annerversary, Chun-Li!

And, a little of Chun Li in action: (From "Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie")

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 09 2007 06:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chun Li rules. Don't forget, Samus came before her though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 09 2007 07:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

True, but not in the arcade. Wink

And Playchoice 10 doesn't count as a arcade game.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 09 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

UltimateFierce
Title: Nippon Yankee
PostPosted: Apr 09 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*SHRUGH*... This website seriously ruined my intrest in Chun-Li. She has become a form of trauma me after I read stuff in there.

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Apr 10 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's a good memorial to her,

It's a good Tokimeki Memorial to~

-Fuck up!!

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 10 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I'm just trying to mix it up a bit. If I did nothing but Video Game System writes up, I would be out of material in about 40 articles. So, I decided on trying to branch out and do a write-up on a famous video game character, but I didn't want to do any that have already been over done. (And, who kno which ones, I am talking about.)

No worries, though, as my next VGM is going to be on a couple of Systems most people have never heard of, much less played. So, you should find them interesting.

And, for the record, Chun-Li is a distance second, on my list of Street Fighter characters I want to bone. Cammy wins that contest... God, I wan't to rip her in half.... Razz

Petite, athletic build, an accent, and can break a man's neck with her thighs. What's not to love?
ChildrenofSlayer
PostPosted: Apr 10 2007 02:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chun Li's weight is listed around 135 pounds in the original SF2, making her too heavy to be a model, but perfect for an adult actress. (Which is her real job, if the ending in The World Warrior was any indication)

It's also funny Knyte posted a clip from the SF2 animated film, since I saw that exactly three days ago on Youtube. I remember there was a huge meeting of the minds, a serious debate among the users over whether Chun Li's shower scene (which occured RIGHT before the posted video) was in any manner censored or not.

Apparently, lots of people were upset that they only showed her breasts and ass.

Chun Li's character also used to be vital to me beating a Street Fighter game, since Sagat once kicked my ass all day long.
PhreQuencYViii
Title: olololol
PostPosted: Apr 10 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome, I'm sitting in the community college right now and just as scrolled past Mai's huge jubblies some blad guy walked past me staring at my laptop.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Apr 10 2007 03:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ChildrenofSlayer wrote:
Chun Li's weight is listed around 135 pounds in the original SF2, making her too heavy to be a model, but perfect for an adult actress. (Which is her real job, if the ending in The World Warrior was any indication)

It's also funny Knyte posted a clip from the SF2 animated film, since I saw that exactly three days ago on Youtube. I remember there was a huge meeting of the minds, a serious debate among the users over whether Chun Li's shower scene (which occured RIGHT before the posted video) was in any manner censored or not.

Apparently, lots of people were upset that they only showed her breasts and ass.

Chun Li's character also used to be vital to me beating a Street Fighter game, since Sagat once kicked my ass all day long.

The original DVD realase in the united states was censored, and did not include the nudity in the show scene, it also replace the original soundtrack with rock music from bands like KMFDM, Alice In Chains, and Silverchair. Until recently you could only get the full uncut version from Japan and the UK, but last year they released the "Uncut, Uncensored, Unleashed" version here is the US. It still has the Rock music instead of the original score, but it add in all the uncut footage.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 10 2007 03:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

personally I prefer the rock music anyways.

back when that movie came out, it probably wouldn't have done so well if it A: wasn't based on a popular video game and B: had an awesome soundtrack to carry it. Anime wasn't the fad in 1993 that it is today.

Tebor
PostPosted: Apr 11 2007 04:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JEW wrote:
Anime wasn't the fad in 1993 that it is today.

Got that right.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 10 2007 09:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

From rottentomatoes.com...

Early word is that Ms. Jessica Biel is in line to star as Chun Li, who is obviously a mega-talented butt-kicker, which means Jessica will have ample opportunity to jump around and look hot. Cute as she is, though, Jessica Biel doesn't look much like a "Chun Li" to me...

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 10 2007 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe because she's not.... what's the term?....oh yeah, fucking CHINESE!

My pick: Ziyi Zhang

Image = Image
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 11 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

SECONDED!

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: May 12 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll third it.

Oh, and telling someone that they can't play a chinese character because they're not asian is racist. Or logical.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 12 2007 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I remeber getting caught in the middle of a forum arguement about a year ago over a "Romance Of The Three Kingdoms" historic movie. (This is acually in the works in Hong Kong.) People were saying that they need to cast Hollywood actors into key roles in order to draw a bigger box office. I mean, sure, Brad Pitt could play General Cao Cao, and The Rock would make a kick ass Lu Bu, but that would be shitting on the chinese culture.

It would be the equivilent of casting, say french actor, Gerard Depardu (SP?) in the title role of a movie about George Washington. Americans would fucking boycott it! Or how about Jet Li as Abraham Lincoln? (I personally would be the first person to buy a ticket to that one, but that's just me.) People would throw a fit.

So, it's kinda the same thing here. I mean the crappy original Street Fighter movie, at least made a few decent casting choices. (A chinese actress as Chun Li, An aussie as Cammy (Which is pretty close to a Brit.), and such,
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: May 12 2007 05:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

reality check, gentlemen, and whatever the hell tish is supposed to be:

Chrisby
PostPosted: May 12 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hotlinking is bad for you.
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: May 14 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yeah.

Tebor
PostPosted: May 15 2007 02:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

JEW wrote:

GAME... OVER!!!

Sorry, Bison. You're off the air! Cool

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: May 15 2007 08:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe when the trailer comes out for the new Street Fighter movie, they should start it with a clip from the old movie, but then have it stop, and the screen flashes:

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: May 15 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That'd be awesome.

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 15 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

God, what a terrible movie...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

PhreQuencYViii
Title: olololol
PostPosted: May 15 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whats even worse is when you buy Street Fighter Alpha 3 and they give you Street Fighter The Movie and HAVE no more SF3A!

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: