[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Boondocks on Cartoon Network

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Nov 23 2005 07:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thoughts? Opinions? Disgust?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Nov 23 2005 09:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know, the show really doesn't offend or upset me. Neither does the comic, which I feel is inferior to the show. The comic feels like it is trying too hard to be controversial. The show has the same feeling, but not to the extent of the comic strip, where there's only so many boxes to get the point across. The show drowns out the mean spirited tone with background and comical atomosphere... That sounds kind of weird, but I mean that the show works better comically because there's a certain absurtity not present in the comics.

Personally, I really enjoy the show because of its faux anime style. I was expecting Dilbert style animation but I'm loving the anime look. Sure the comic characters look out of place, but considering they are supposed to look out of place in the 'burbs it makes sense.

I think so far the only thing that bugs me thus far is the fat, fried chicken eating, black lady's line in the R. Kelly episode which was "cause he's goooood!". The animation and timing of that line SUCKED and off. I hate it when that happens in animation. Happened in Gofur Gurl and I can't remember one episode of the Simpsons where bad animation happened that way. Nit pick, I know. Usually that's what I end up not liking in something (like I critized Antitrust for using the wrong sounds of a Mac keyboard).

Is the show funny? Mildly amusing. I've laughed a couple of times. The only shows getting me to laugh is Everybody Hates Chris and My Name is Earl which I watch via videotape. Even then it's about three times per episode. Andy Richter Controls the Universe was the only show to get me to laugh more than a dozen times every episode even on repeat viewings... Damn I miss that show...

EDIT: I totally forgot Seinfeld. (seasons 5-6 on sale now)

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 24 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't think I was gonna like the show, but I do. It's not as mean spirited as the comic, because like Tebor said, it draws it out with background and comic tone.

Favorite moment so far: Grandpa's flashback to the civil rights movement where he shows up for a march wearing a raincoat and the other activists get pissed at him.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Nov 24 2005 08:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Favorite moment so far: Grandpa's flashback to the civil rights movement where he shows up for a march wearing a raincoat and the other activists get pissed at him.

That one and the quote along the lines of "Not every black celebrity in jail is Nelson Mandela..."

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 29 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had a feeling I was gonna like this show, and indeed I do. It through me off at first because the comics always made Huey seem like the crazy one and Riley like the level headed one, whereas it's basically the opposite in the cartoon. The latest episode I thought was a little too heavy handed and lacking in laughs, but the other 3 have been great, especially the R. Kelly episode (Because Adam West makes anything awesome).

Grandpa with the raincoat is one of my favorite moments, along with the girl taking the stand in the R. Kelly trial: "Yeah he pissed on me, big deal! It's R. KELLY! I've been pissed on by guys that didn't have record deals"

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Dec 08 2005 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone notice Samuel L. Jackson played a white guy? Half his dialogue was also from Pulp Fiction... Well, the man has a cool voice none the less.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 27 2006 08:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This and South Park is the last thing I watch on telivison anymore.

As a rule or stereotype when a Light Skinned person or White man do something they can do whaterver they want but when a Darkskined person or Black man creates something it has to make sense.

The Boondocks make this so true in many ways. Unlike South Park where the first episode was about Cartman having a Sattlelight up his but and was being controllerd by aliens the Boondocks had the introduction of the main characters followed by an example of each chracter. The plot was about how grandad was invited to his neighbor who just happens to be light skined and when they got there you got an example of how these people operated and what they looked foward too besides the grandson from Iraq with the uasaully "Yo homes. My Nigga" Attitude. Then even after the man just wanted to hang out with somebody like him in some way kinda like the people typing in a form. He was imbarased by his kids.

The point is from that episode to the next you have activities consisting of Stereotypical atitudes that screams reality and what if. Everytime I turn on the Boondocks I learn something new.

Besides seeing a dirty balding light skined man hustling money from a small little girl who just wanted a pony, what is the outcome of Vets in the military, the truth about how business is run to gain property, how a normal man would look erasist to other dark skined people just for being normal, how Rosa Parks had other people with her?, What if Martin Luther King was not shot by MUD, The first black political party which looked bad the fact people came there to have fun but instead
they got a message which caused trouble.

To be honest I could understand these messages but this in not 20-50 years ago like my teacher said he and his freinds was pushing a famous rapper back in the days and his trainer made him gain those muscles. Now that film studies but

The boondocks so far has been the only thing I watch on tv that is new. I don't have any special service to watch Japanese telivision or anything like that. So it's just South Park and Boondocks.

However I really wish they would get rid of Uncle Rucus. Uncle Rucus is like Chef calling himself a White man literally. Rucus is like Bobby Brown in the Proud family but is extremly making me close my eyes when I see the ugly toad face of his.

On the flip side the art is okay to look at but at times it feels the same person who scetched for Jackie Chan adventures or maybe some anateur hentai also scetched for Boondocks as well.

What comes to mind when I think about Boondocks it reminds me of this show on channel 11 where little dark skined kids would go about there day with various activities. I forget the name but one episode consisted of a guy making one of there freinds who was a girl look bad and he used a Janitors ID to get into a movie.

Also the boys reminds me of the Waynes brothers which I am glad they are put to rest.

Once again great animation but will never go that lever South Park did.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 08:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

From your first sentence I thought you were saying it was the last thing you'd watch when you should say they're the only thing you watch. And "skinned" has two Ns in it, it's "Wayans" not Waynes.

As for Ruckus, he's there just to make fun of white supremicists I suppose. I'd say he was there to "represent" the Uncle Tom, but that's obviously Jasmine's dad's "role."

RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 03:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
As for Ruckus, he's there just to make fun of white supremicists I suppose. I'd say he was there to "represent" the Uncle Tom, but that's obviously Jasmine's dad's "role."

I stil wish they would get rid of Rukus. He is the negative to Chef. Chef don't care about the color of his skin or anything about it he is just cool like that. Like any other member of the community and at times have to deal with the dumb stereotypes.
Rukus is living in a world where nobody cares about the fact he is dark skinned nore they could careless about his disorder that MJ has.

Uncle Tom is just Joe average citizen with his job. Then again he throws out facts like when he was playing the piano or any various jobs that he is Africa American. In reality he is just a regular person living in this world and has dark skin. Out of all the characters he is the most regulare character in the toon.

My favorite character is still the little peace maker who keep trying to scare all the light skined people into panic. When in reality he fails the fact people already knows, people ignore him, or something like the goverment steps in to stops him.
Imagine a guy trying to cause a certain group of people to fight each other.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, an "Uncle Tom" is basically a "white black," what some Afro-Americans might even consider a traitor to their race or at the very least a sellout.

"My little girl selling out for the first time, I'm so proud"- Mr. Dubouis. Jasmine's Dad in the lemonade episode.

And as an aside, Ruckus says he actually has re-vitiligo (the opposite of Jackson's vittiligo--which turns out to be a real disease O.O)

What does that thing at the bottom mean?

RegalSin
PostPosted: Apr 28 2006 04:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
No, an "Uncle Tom" is basically a "white black," what some Afro-Americans might even consider a traitor to their race or at the very least a sellout.

"My little girl selling out for the first time, I'm so proud"- Mr. Dubouis. Jasmine's Dad in the lemonade episode.

And as an aside, Ruckus says he actually has re-vitiligo (the opposite of Jackson's vittiligo--which turns out to be a real disease O.O)

What does that thing at the bottom mean?

To me when you open a business you are selling out to people like if lied about lied about how if you buy the X-box 360 you will never see jaggeds again and people used the same idea with Dreamcast. That's normal.

Ruckus made up desease is in fact is the same exact desease but for the white man. So yes

He is not a sellout he is just confused like many other people. Like when he was playing th Piano he called himself Hip Hop Artist. Yes obviously his name is refering to a Sellout and yes I have seen people that seems like sellouts when in reality they are just normal or in the green.

Like in this show about a resteraunt that was going to close down and how people would be affect by the place and they had to keep showing a clip of a man in his late Twenties who is cmpletely bald and is pushed a side by a couple of Neighborhood kids.

In this case Tom in this series is the same stereotype as that man. I have seen people like Tom but inreality they are just normal people. Like a cop who is shaved to his skin, a guy who is completely bald dressed in bussines man clothing. In reality Tom is just a Regular Joe with Curly hair who could careless about the color of his skin.

I just wish he was not such a idiot/wuss at times. If just responded without making some anullment about himself or run away when somebody says something that could easily be avioded by sayin the correct answer then Tom would be cool.

The only person he is a traitor to is the Stereo Type african American listening to rap music or the people who go around saying there hairstyle is not dreads but what Egypt people wear.

Oh that was a typo at the end where I was going to write something but I forget.
Reply to topic

Jump to: