"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
FF VII HYPE INTENSIFIES

Reply to topic
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: May 11 2019 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The really go all-out with that remake as it seems.
I am a bit torn about either i am hyped or not because FF VII is one of my favorite games ever (probably my favorite RPG of all time) and how are you gonna improve on something that is near perfect to begin with but maybe that is just my lack of imagination.
On the other hand they fucked up KH3 pretty bad (at least in my oppinion) so it is possbile that FF VII remake could suck.
There is no evidence to support that theory though.

Oh, screw it.
I AM OFFICIALLY HYPED.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Jul 31 2020 09:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Now that i played it and beaten it i can say:

The game was a huge let down and i don't agree with all the mindless praise it seems to get.
To me this is due the whole hype, mixed with the nostalgic feelings people have for the original game.

Objectively, it's not a great game and it didn't manage to "click" for me.

it was the best of times

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jul 31 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
Now that i played it and beaten it i can say:

The game was a huge let down and i don't agree with all the mindless praise it seems to get.
To me this is due the whole hype, mixed with the nostalgic feelings people have for the original game.

Objectively, it's not a great game and it didn't manage to "click" for me.

I actually completely agree with this. I borrowed the game from a friend for a good six hours and couldn't get into it. Thought the game took way too long to get going, hated the vast majority of the new characters (what is it with Square Enix and their love of profoundly annoying edgelords with mullets???), and I was shocked at how bland I found the new battle system. I know Square Enix knows how to make a fun action RPG (see: Kingdom Hearts, The World Ends With You) so it felt like a huge misfire.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Aug 03 2020 05:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

The game...it's just such a weird game and they kinda messed with the forumla and the whole narrative of "disc 1 FF 7" in a way that really doesn't make much sense or enhances the gaming experience.
And there where many things that kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

On one hand, especially in the cutscenes, the graphic/presentation is absolutely stunning and really the best the PS4 has ever shown but on the other hand there are the town areas with blurry textures and bland NPC's who stylistcally don't even fit in the FF-Universe because the look just like regular people, like from the Real World, whilst Cloud's character Design is pure over-stylized anime.
(Just an example of what i mean: https://i.redd.it/bd34oz2ch4s41.jpg)

The battle system is mostly okay, but by far not as groundbreaking or anything as people like to say it is.
It looks cool and it's pretty dynamic and action oriented but it feels half-baked to some degree and it doesn't really build on anything or gains depth through-out the game.
Basically just spam all the attacks, know the weakpoint of the enemy and heal yourself occasionally and you are good to go.

Story, well, that's probaly the most subjectiv point and really falls into the category "personal taste" but i really didn't like it what they added to the plot overall.
[SPOILER]
They added the Fate-Ghosts wich are basically a facless plot-device that let them do anything they want without fearing any consequenzes.

For instance, killing Barret in the end and then, whoopsie doopsie, bring him back in an instance because the Fate-Ghosts ultimately decide if someone dies or not.
Wich is unbelievable cheap and lazy from an writers point of view

Then there is Sephiroth EVERYWHERE. He literally shows up, in person, an hour into the game and from that point on continuously.
Wich felt hella anti-climatic.
Sephiroth was no mystery nor had he any surpirising moments that blew your mind a little like in the original (stabbing the Shinra Boss for instance).
He was just there, all the time, dropping cryptic lines for cloud and stuff.
Whatever.

And yes, the new characters basically all suck and just feel like a mixture of everything that can suck about an FF7 NPC (weird design, annoying personality, no meaningful impact on anything in the story etc).

Welp, i guess knowing that the KH-Writer stepped in to rewrite FF7 should have been the first warning sign.
The story of the KH games is downright the worst story (and i am not overexaggerating here) of any videogame series i can think of on the top of my head.
It's the epitome of a bloated, unneccassary conveluted, nonesensical mess of a story.
Someone should have noticed that this guy is seemingly to incompetent to write something as "complex" as a functioning story for a videogame, by now.

On the other side, it's not like there is a meaningful plot about the risks of intervening with nature and the destructiv nature of the human hybris somewhere to be found in the story of FF7, that he could have build upon.
[/SPOILER]

The game is also very tiring and gets drawn out way too long on some areas, so in the end i just sat down and thought "Ok i want to end this game already" and just stubbornly killed boss after boss till it was over.
When the final boss arrived, wich is supposed to be epicness overload, i bascially felt nothing but the need to get over this obstacle so i can lay down the controller already.

I expected a lot from this game and it didn't deliver in any category.
Ok, the Soundtrack was amazing i gotta admit.
But that's actually the only aspect of the game i have no gripe with.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game or anything but it certainly isn't a great game either.
It's a mostly very pretty looking, action RPG that does nothing exceptionally good or bad.
I had much higher hopes for this one in the end.

I feel obligated to play the next chapter but i am very far from being excited to play it.

it was the best of times

LeshLush
PostPosted: Aug 03 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

The good news is, the original has been ported to every single possible platform, so you can still play the old version no matter what systems you own.
i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Aug 03 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yea, i actually own it on the Playstation, Switch, PC and on the PS-Mini ^^'

it was the best of times

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 03 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On one hand, especially in the cutscenes, the graphic/presentation is absolutely stunning and really the best the PS4 has ever shown but on the other hand there are the town areas with blurry textures and bland NPC's who stylistcally don't even fit in the FF-Universe because the look just like regular people, like from the Real World, whilst Cloud's character Design is pure over-stylized anime.

This was one of the most jarring elements of the game's general aesthetic for me. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me (and I know that giving every single NPC their own unique model isn't realistic) but it seemed like anytime there was a cutscene in a populated part of town, Cloud would be standing a few feet away from a bunch of dudes in jeans, hoodies, sweat pants and polo shirts. I don't really know what they were going for. And I know what you mean about the textures, it was extremely bizarre to see the hyper-realistic Cloud standing next to a vendor booth that looked like someone upscaled a PS2 texture.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: Aug 04 2020 06:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:

This was one of the most jarring elements of the game's general aesthetic for me. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me (and I know that giving every single NPC their own unique model isn't realistic) but it seemed like anytime there was a cutscene in a populated part of town, Cloud would be standing a few feet away from a bunch of dudes in jeans, hoodies, sweat pants and polo shirts. I don't really know what they were going for. And I know what you mean about the textures, it was extremely bizarre to see the hyper-realistic Cloud standing next to a vendor booth that looked like someone upscaled a PS2 texture.

I personally think that they wanted too much with too little resources at hand so they just had to compromise to work with cheap character models and awful textures, to some degree.
It would have probably been better if the downsized the whole game, not just in size but also in playtime, so that the could really perfect things like NPC's, give them an actually fitting design, and make the town areas look real good etc.

I really don't like this quantity over quality approach in games and i would be ok if they just had cut 10 hours of playtime if the end-product would have a benefit from it.
The game drags on way too long in some areas anyway, so it wouldn't even hurt the game experience at all.
Gamedevs just think way too much in numbers these days and i am under the impression that they simply forced these 40-50 hours of playtime by watering the game down.

it was the best of times

Reply to topic

Jump to: