Reply to topic
Vert1
PostPosted: May 07 2017 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1. Resident Evil 4 [GC]
The Ultimate Game.

2. Super Mario Sunshine [GC]
The Ultimate Movement.

watersliding

This new friction mechanic is done by spraying water on the ground and diving, which makes Mario slide very fast along the ground. This ability can be used everywhere and is useful for anytime a lot of ground needs to be covered. The end of the water slide is never in sight, and getting off is a matter of bailing out when necessary. The linear movement keeps it from taking over from being the default way of getting around as to avoid simulating racing car control. It does have different gears though as you hit top speed after a second or so. It gives fast momentum to slide off an edge. Triple jumping off the edge of a huge drop in a spraying spin and diving right before impact to hit the ground speeding is truly spectacular.

the nature of platforming

The excitement to touch on everything. Placement. Being able to perform complicated maneuvers to reach your destination. "I'm on this" "I've gotten here." "Hey! Let's go over there." The call to move. Too much touch = saturation - needs less guarantee. The feel of " I can't believe I got past all that when zooming the camera out". The movement in this game make it so that looking at any videogame map becomes exciting to think about moving through.

Quote:
To go nowhere, even to ride around in a deserted quarter or on a crowded freeway, now seems natural for the voyeur-voyager in his car. On the contrary, to stop, to park, are unpleasant operations and the driver even resents going somewhere or towards someone.

- Paul Virillio, The Aesthetics of Disappearance

3. Splatoon [Wii U]
The Ultimate Multiplayer.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 [GEN]
The Ultimate Aesthetic.

5. Senko No Ronde [ARC, 360]
The Ultimate Head-to-Head.

6. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes [GC]
The Ultimate Adventure.

7. Resident Evil [GC]
The Ultimate Exploration.

8. Crazy Taxi [DC]
The Ultimate Racer

9. Ninja Gaiden 2 [360]
The Ultimate Combat.

10. Conker's Bad Fur Day [N64]
The Ultimate Transformation.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/1652954ee437a4f04340c07f860887e0/tumblr_plg2s7FzcP1rozuvno1_1280.jpg

LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: May 14 2017 09:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vert the past 6 of 10 threads in this subforum have been made by you. You doing okay buddy? Feeling lonely?

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Vert1
PostPosted: May 15 2017 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

True. Pardon my proliferation. That'll be it for new threads till I substantially update the ops with the promised write-ups.

My condition is normal, but I do feel stress about ranking games from best to worst in this list. What do you think of those 10 games? How many would you place in your top 10?

LordHuffnPuff
PostPosted: May 16 2017 07:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think any of them would break my top 50

I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: May 17 2017 01:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

6, 7, and 8 would probably make my top 10. Not sure what you're smoking to pick Mario Sunshine though. But Damn, the GameCube was such a great system.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Vert1
PostPosted: May 20 2017 07:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the feel of controlling Mario in Sunshine...

And Super Mario Sunshine was the best platformer of that gen.

If you compare it to Jet Set Radio or Super Mario 64, the ranking becomes confusing as to why it is ranked higher. It's ranked higher than those games due to it having superior speedy movement options in covering large varied terrain. Jet Set Radio is the complete package though. It has no lows. Super Mario 64 is rightly complained about as being too easy and directionless for a platformer in spite of the unprecedented bliss it brought to 3D control. Sunshine finds itself by incorporating Crazy Taxi styled timed sequences of blue coins and the red coins in athletic courses.

Continuing the paragraphs on platformers, I really liked Maximo [PS2], which has two awesome large descending jumps (jungle level and final level) and several sections of touch-and-go platforming. Jak & Daxter, which gets compared to Sunshine a lot, I see as a 'hopper' than a platformer: Jak's jumping abilities and the environment he climbs up are almost always done in very small lengths. Jak also has unsatisfying movement speed, which diminishes the enjoyment of moving through its open world.

But the gen after GC/PS2/XBOX era had Mirror's Edge. I haven't played the Time Trial stages, but I wouldn't doubt that they would give Sunshine's athletic courses steep competition since the first-person view combined with gathering momentum of running speed and parkour is quite exhilarating when everything is going right. Plus, there are way more of these levels than athletic courses in Sunshine.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: May 25 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

So far your list is complete trash. Resident Evil 4 is the only great game on your list at this time, the other two are only good. I am completely aware that this is only your opinion, but you clearly need to branch out into other games/consoles.

Vert1
PostPosted: May 25 2017 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Such as?

LordHuffnPuff
PostPosted: May 27 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried a system not made by Nintendo? Splatoon as the best multiplayer game ever made? Really? Splatoon is great but the best in history?

Vert1
PostPosted: May 27 2017 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, yes, and yes. Splatoon's multiplayer as a Permanent Inkbrush user is an immensely fun unique experience that has the #1 spot in aesthetic mayhem in all of gaming.

What games do you suggest I try, Lord?

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: May 27 2017 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vertmang. I clicked the link you had above labeled The Ultimate Control.

It's...way too big for me to read, admittedly.

I just need to know whether video games are your hobby or your job.

Vert1
PostPosted: Jun 01 2017 04:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Haha.

Yes...what is this all about? All those words written and time allotted on one game...

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 22 2017 07:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to see Mario Sunshine on the list. I much prefer Sunshine to Mario 64. Don't get me wrong, Mario 64 was very innovative and deserving of a place in history, but Sunshine holds up way better.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jun 24 2017 01:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never played Sunshine before. You guys are making me want to rectify that.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jun 25 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sunshine is a fantastic game that gets way too much flak. Yes, it has a lot of padding, yes, the cutscenes are terrible, and yes, the difficulty is all over the place. Despite that, it's still one of the best 3D platformers ever. Great level design, dope soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, and unique mechanics. I actually prefer it to Galaxy, though 64 will always be king.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Reply to topic

Jump to: