0%  [ 0 ]
Super Smash Bros. Melee
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 6

Vert1
PostPosted: Feb 19 2017 02:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

SUPER SMASH BROS 64

Look at Smash64 cartridge - How can I describe hundreds of hours of playtime with friends in one review.
Smash 64 is a fighting game where anyone can perform a flashy move to say "look what I did".
Quote:

I will compare it to my childhood handheld fighting game King of Fighters 95.
King of Fighters 95 is a fighting game where performing a flashy move moves closer to "look what only I did".
Quote:

Smash 64 has KoF 95 moments of "look what only I did" when linking multiple moves; intricate action by multiple customizable inputs.
Super Smash Bros. 64 was the first game that made me cry when I lost until I came back to win by "harnessing the bullshit" by throwing items galore with Link.
[only I can do that vs i can do that] - distinction
Smash 64 was the first 4 player game I played (although it may have been GoldenEye 007). It certainly was the first 4 player fighting game I played. 4 player frenzy - various characters / concepts
Smash 64 was the first game that got serious where I played someone in a store and they attempted to out-of-game interfere with me winning. Sidenote: Super Mario 64 was the first game that caused annoyance at stores because the person up front (i.e. the player) wouldn't stop winning (i.e. playing). [Sidenote: when everything you do feels good, you feel like a winner; you feel that you are the event maker; i.e., in control]
Smash 64 was the first controversial Nintendo game I played; it let you beat up beloved characters, but it never got demented or mean-spirited.
Smash64 multiple fighting game flat layers to jump on versus KoF95' flat stage. The environment in Smash 64 was more interactive than simple crowd cheering in KoF95.
Smash 64 was the first diverse single player experience with its multiple game modes, but its multiplayer has always felt stronger at capturing that portal-to-a-playroom theme you see in the intro cutscene. The stage tornado, the bumper ball, containers - dk only able to carry said large containers,yoshi eggs, kirby swallow & copy, kirby's gravity-defying piledrive throw from the heavens, edge guarding games, throwing bob-ombs at the right angle to hit someone half way across the screen. -- Smash 64 is the orgy, the party game AND a competent fighting game. I haven't played tested enough Capcom and SNK games to truly qualify the games' ranking (I had played to a small extent Garou: Mark of the Wolves using Rock Howard, which I feel is justly deserving of its high tier placement on message boards), but I will write that as standalone title it earns the fighting game classification, and was, and still is a truly monumental event in fighting game history.
The actual interesting practice mode where you can wander off from cpu, which is impossible in King of Fighters 95. This freedom from locked-on characters produced greater mobility and fighting styles than KoF95.
every item is cool / worthwhile. even the the items that have little effect (i.e. magikarp) produce joy.
pokeballs is the coolest due to random factor
the smoke trails when you get launched is very stylish.
repeatedly bouncing player like tether ball against a wall is very stylish
Smash 64 can be played however you want. I like to 1v1 friends w/out items while playing 2v2 w/items. I may even on rare occassion tinker around with one particular item in 1v1 or 2v2. Smash also lets you do the most interesting matchup: assymetry. So, 1v3. You can make them cpus weak (lvl1) or fragile (handicap 1). The N64 allowed so much customization that wasn't seen before on Nintendo systems; GoldenEye 007, WaveRace 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, etc. Nintendo needs to return to that era of multi-player bliss. And I believe they did with the Wii U (i.e. Splatoon). And I believe they will be recognized for this achievement by everyone with Nintendo Switch.

Smash 4 has up to 8 players; 2 vs 3, 2 vs 4, 2 vs 5, 2 vs 6, 3 v3, 3v4, 3v5, 4v4, 1v1v3, 1v1v4, 1v1v5, 1v1v6, etc.
Smash 64 has universal inputs; KoF 95 does not. KoF 95 w/out a manual is very difficult.
Smash 64 tutorial comes up quickly on title screen. focus on movement first, then attacks.
Smash 64 platforming, then break the targets.
Smash 64 player bonuses (hidden unlike today's games)
Carnival - Giant DK, yoshis x30, kirbys x8, ally vs red team, knocking enemy around careening off walls (chainging attacks with the environment), falling just slightly above th kill floor over your also falling opponent, using items to help you along your journey, player intros 3-2-1, go!

SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE
Faster, more cutting edge, vicious -- a much more serious Smash game.
smash melee: coin battle

Discuss the tournament situation where top players refuse fun for comfort; i.e. no coin mode serious tournaments, no items, no super sudden death mode serious tournaments; only their version of "fun". -- i.e. only mechanically-dominated play

Discuss coin mode: getting coins, keeping coins, ko'ing coins from people
Discuss accentuated differences
Discuss the immediacy of contact / control

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 19 2017 04:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

If I'm picking a Smash game from the whole series, I honestly prefer the newest one; the roster is obscenely excellent (even if all of the DLC characters outside of Bayonetta do not interest me in the slightest, and even she skirts dangerously close to having a moveset too similar to Mario & Ryu), the 8-player mode is insane, it has all of the technical aspects of Brawl that I love without that stupid random slipping, and Pac-man is probably my favorite character to play as in the whole series.

Between 64 and Melee, though, I definitely pick Melee. To me, it's the difference between Street Fighter 2: Turbo and Alpha 3; both are "classic", but one is definitely deeper than the other.

Also, I'm pretty sure you posted a screenshot for the manual of King of Fighters 95 on the Game Boy, which I also own/owned as a child (and have to commend you for).

Vert1
PostPosted: Feb 25 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
If I'm picking a Smash game from the whole series, I honestly prefer the newest one . . . the 8-player mode is insane

Review it.

Quote:
Between 64 and Melee, though, I definitely pick Melee. To me, it's the difference between Street Fighter 2: Turbo and Alpha 3; both are "classic", but one is definitely deeper than the other.

It's hard for me to say which one I like more; Smash 64 has more "knockability" by making shielding bad and rolls easily punishable combined with no side step or air dodges; you whiff or get knocked. Melee has faster combos and slicker animations.

Quote:
Also, I'm pretty sure you posted a screenshot for the manual of King of Fighters 95 on the Game Boy, which I also own/owned as a child (and have to commend you for).

Yep. What was your first memory of coming across the game?

Also, some crazy Smash tournament videos:

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 25 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Melee is definitely a more polished and better balanced game, but I have much more nostalgia for 64, so it has a certain x-factor that often makes me find it more fun. The main problem with 64, for me, is that you need a near perfect controller to pull off smash attacks (I have yet to find a 3rd party controller that reads smash tilts consistently), but smash attacks do a fast job of wearing out an N64 controller's stick. I have 4 near pristine 64 controllers, but I only use them for Perfect Dark, since it also demands a perfect stick, but doesn't really wear them out.

I'll agree with Cameron, though. Wii U is my favorite of the Smash Bros. games. 8-player smash is hilariously chaotic, the graphics are impressive, and I love so many of the new characters. My only gripe with Smash Bros. for Wii U is that too many of the stage have stage hazards, and I wish you could turn hazards off without turning the stage into final destination.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 04 2017 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like melee over 64, but like the others said, smash for wii u/3ds is my fave right now. I like that they were able to apply patches AFTER launch, which is something that the others couldn't do... unless you mod brawl to play project m or even brawl minus

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: