"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Street Fighter V

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 06 2015 04:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Seeing this atrocity inspired me to start a Street Fighter V thread...

I actually like the idea of a character with poison-based, damage-over-time attacks, but this is easily one of the worst character designs I've seen in a while.

Regardless, what does everyone think of the footage for Street Fighter V thus far? In case anyone isn't familiar with the new roster:

Returning Characters
-Ryu (yawn)
-Ken
-Charlie
-M. Bison
-Birdie
-Vega
-R. Mika
-Karin
-Chun-Li
-Zangief
-Dhalsim

Already-announced DLC characters
-Alex
-Guile
-Balrog
-Ibuki
-Juri
-Urien

New Characters
-F.A.N.G.
-Rashid
-Necalli
-Laura

Personally, I'm pretty nauseated that DLC has already been announced (yes, you can get it through massive amounts of grinding rather than paying actual money, but still), and I'm not particularly thrilled about the game having its own currency, or the over-abundance of blue and orange in many of the stages, or each DLC character costing six dollars apiece, or any of the new additions to the battle system...but I'm pleased that Alex, Juri, Karin, and Birdie are returning, if nothing else. The presence of Guile seems a little pointless given that he and Charlie played so similarly in previous games.

Three of the new characters either look horrid or bland, but at least Laura looks like an interesting character to play as. I can think of at least ten SF characters I'd rather see in the game than R. Mika or the chinese stereotype/Fu Manchu in the trailer above.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Dec 06 2015 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually stoked about the roster. A great variety and not just SF2 with added characters. This looks miles better than 4. I wanted Birdie, Karen, R. Mika, Alex, and Urien back for so long. And I'm actually digging Fang's design. So far the new characters' designs are way better than 4's newcomers. Though I wouldn't mind C. Viper return.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 06 2015 08:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Guile is the only wasted slot I'd say. And I'd take Hugo over Zangief. With any luck we'll see Poison again.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 07 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Still holdin out for Q.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Cameron
PostPosted: Dec 08 2015 01:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I will concede that the new SFV characters are much more interesting than the ones from SFIV (excluding C. Viper, Juri and Hakan, though the latter two weren't launch characters). I'm personally hoping for Q, Poison, Elena, Sean (entirely possible given he's Laura's brother), Hakan, Rose, Dan, Ingrid, and Skullomania.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 08 2015 01:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Laura is Sean's sister? That's awesome. I like Hakan too, I was just referring to the initial newbies. I'll go buy a PS4 the day Q is announced.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Dec 08 2015 09:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The game looks interesting. I don't have much of a friendbase for it yet. One hometown bud, MellowMeek (if he buys it), and another online friend. The third guy actually participates in EVO every year so maybe he'll hype me up to buy the PC version. I am hopeful that PC and PS4 users can chat together. If not...that's a problem.

Capcom's promise of no staggered releases/one purchase is very cool. Though I am curious whether they will keep their word. I seem to remember they announced that Super IV would be the final version of IV...could be wrong, though.

Rashid, Laura, and Bison look fun. Maybe even Ken, Vega and Alex. Would obviously love Q (the YouTube comments hype for him, and Sean, have my approval, alongside my amusement).

Kind of surprised Akuma hasn't been mentioned, as he's been a majpr mainstay.

I need to add myself to the Sydapedia list of People Who Can't Dragon Punch Very Well, but typing on my phone leaves me too hot and tired to continue
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Dec 08 2015 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is Yoshinori Ono the one responsible for ruining my favorite company of all time?
LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 08 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Every time a new Street Fighter game comes out, I check the roster for every character from Street Fighter 2, and when not every Street Fighter 2 character is represented, I feel sad. I have not purchased a Street Fighter game since Street Fighter 2: Turbo - Hyper Fighting for the SNES. If you feel that this makes me a bad person, I will accept your judgment.

The above is also true for every Soul series game after Soul Calibur 2.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 09 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that SF4 was so SF2 heavy is what kept me from buying the first iteration. I live and die by Third Strike.

Cameron
PostPosted: Dec 09 2015 02:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
Every time a new Street Fighter game comes out, I check the roster for every character from Street Fighter 2, and when not every Street Fighter 2 character is represented, I feel sad.

Oh puke. I, for one, am sick of Capcom shoehorning the original-12-plus-Cammy into every game they can, especially a lot of the crossover games where Capcom seems to be obsessed with throwing the original-12-plus-Cammy-plus-Morrigan into the game and calling it a day. If I wanted to play those characters against each other, I'd play SF2 and be done with it.
sidewaydriver wrote:
The fact that SF4 was so SF2 heavy is what kept me from buying the first iteration. I live and die by Third Strike.

Pretty much this. One of the reasons I love SFIII so much is the abundance of unique, interesting characters. I own Super Street Fighter IV, but haven't expanded into the newer editions because I haven't really been impressed with the roster.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 09 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron, I accept your judgment.
Preng
PostPosted: Dec 09 2015 07:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The more I look at F.A.N.G. the more I think we're witnessing a Street Fighter incarnation of Waluigi.

F.A.N.G. looks kinda interesting, will need to watch some full gameplay matches though.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 10 2015 01:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm an absolute casual Street Fighter player. I think most of the people who grew up when Street Fighter was a new thing are in their 30's and 40's now, and just absolutely don't care about new random characters that look like they're from the worst animes ever created. We love nostalgia, we love the original characters, and when most of those are missing...well, there's a reason every single Street Fighter game has sold less and less and less every single iteration. I dunno who they're even pandering to anymore.

At the same time, I realize that video games are not created just for me, a thirty something year old man. These new characters might resonate better with the teenage or early 20's crowd, so if that works for them, that's fantastic and I'm not gonna be a complete asshole about it because like I said, it's not even really my genre, I just follow it for nostalgia reasons.

Oh and yeah, Soul Calibur is basically dead to me lately. As is Mortal Kombat. I don't have time to learn new characters moves, I remember old characters moves from rote memorization. Basically, I'm lazy as fuck when it comes to fighting games, so that's on me.

Cameron
PostPosted: Dec 10 2015 04:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Oh and yeah, Soul Calibur is basically dead to me lately. As is Mortal Kombat. I don't have time to learn new characters moves, I remember old characters moves from rote memorization. Basically, I'm lazy as fuck when it comes to fighting games, so that's on me.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hate on Mortal Kombat for things like that, considering the button inputs for virtually every character's moves keep changing with every game made after MK4.

I'm not sure a lot of the latter-day SF characters really appeal to any kind of crowd, young or old, especially the ones from SFIV - I haven't exactly seen a huge uproar for characters like Abel or Seth back for SFV.

Preng
PostPosted: Dec 10 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
I'm an absolute casual Street Fighter player. I think most of the people who grew up when Street Fighter was a new thing are in their 30's and 40's now, and just absolutely don't care about new random characters that look like they're from the worst animes ever created. We love nostalgia, we love the original characters, and when most of those are missing...well, there's a reason every single Street Fighter game has sold less and less and less every single iteration. I dunno who they're even pandering to anymore.

I agree to this to a certain extent but wanted to chime in that the market has become much more saturated since. Street Fighter II was everywhere when I was a child, be it arcades or Wal-Mart kiosks or at a friend's house. Nowadays there's just so many more options (beyond the fighting genre, even).

There's also an argument that as time passes for the Street Fighter/fighting game genre, the barrier to entry (if you want to become anything more than casual) becomes greater and greater. Obviously growing up has increased responsibilities, but fighting games in particular are crawling with players who have several years of experience just ready to frustrate you. My super early days with Street Fighter III on GGPO were, uh, super humbling.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 11 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very true, Prengles. And honestly, of course I'm just throwing out numbers, but imagine there's a million people who owned Street Fighter II back in the days it came out. How many of those million do you think STILL play Street Fighter games to this day, people that have families, careers, children, etc.. I'd wager less than 20% of them. I'm an exception, obviously, because I still torture myself with this shit even when I'm absolutely terrible at it.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 11 2015 02:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Psh, I don't want to hear an opinion from a casual like you, Woodzy. Go play Smash Bros, n00b.

Preng
PostPosted: Dec 12 2015 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hear you, Woodzy, I hear you.

Also apparently Akuma's chillin' with the Tekken 7 crew now. My guess is that he'll likely show up in SFV DLC eventually.
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 13 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
There's also an argument that as time passes for the Street Fighter/fighting game genre, the barrier to entry (if you want to become anything more than casual) becomes greater and greater. Obviously growing up has increased responsibilities, but fighting games in particular are crawling with players who have several years of experience just ready to frustrate you. My super early days with Street Fighter III on GGPO were, uh, super humbling.

It's hilarious to me that the very people responsible for this think they're the friendliest people in the community. They have no idea that the more they try to come off as personable, the worse they make the community look to outsiders.

Preng wrote:
I hear you, Woodzy, I hear you.

Also apparently Akuma's chillin' with the Tekken 7 crew now. My guess is that he'll likely show up in SFV DLC eventually.

That face when Namco makes Capcom vs. SNK 3 before SNK does

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 18 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody picked this thing up yet?
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Feb 19 2016 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I picked it up. So far my favorite two characters are Nash and Birdie. Everyone is hyped about Vega being "super OMG fun" now after his redisgn, don't get it but I never really liked him in he first place.

I'm a little disappointed overall. It feels like it was rushed out. There is no Arcade Mode. I assumed that Story Mode was Arcade Mode. Instead it is a total piece of shit way for Capcom to advertise DLC. It's just each character wearing their upcoming DLC outfits. Three to four single round matches sandwiched between cutscenes. Not even a 2 out of 3 match up? Come on Capcom, How hard could it have been to do random encounters with 10 opponents with these "story" elements placed sporadically between these random match ups (I even miss the super cheap, overpowered end boss)? You know, like Arcade Mode? The whole game feels like it is missing that Street Fighter feel.

Also, having to wait for Challenge Mode coming sometime in March.

I do like the new meters and the no chip damage minus supers though.
Reply to topic

Jump to: