SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Yoshi's Story Vs. Croc

Reply to topic
LeshLush
PostPosted: Aug 18 2015 09:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some of you may remember the game Croc, for PS1 and Sega Saturn, an early 3D platformer that was better than many of the other games in that genre from that generation. However, like most 1st generation 3D platformers not named Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie, its memory has mostly been lost in time, like tears in rain.

Something I recently discovered is that Croc was originally developed by Argonaut as a Yoshi game for the N64. Argonaut had helped develop Star Fox, and hoped that Nintendo would like their Yoshi game and give the go-ahead. But Nintendo saw their prototype and said thanks but no thanks, so Argonaut changed the main character into a crocodile, removed any tongue/egg action, and took their game to the greener pastures of the PS1 and the browner pastures of the Sega Saturn.

It turns out Nintendo had their own ideas for a Yoshi game. They released Yoshi's Story, a game very much in the spirit of Yoshi's Island for the SNES. Yoshi's Story is not remembered fondly, perhaps unfairly. It was too easy, it placed a huge emphasis and collecting, and it's graphics were not CUTTING EDGE LATE 90s 3D, which was of course in vogue at the time. To use a Simpson's comparison, its graphics were old-school Itchy and Scratchy in an age that desired Poochy, though Yoshi's Story did feature a character named Poochy.

In fairness to Yoshi's Story's graphics, they have aged better than a lot of the heinous early 3D of that era, and the story book aesthetic was unique and something of a precursor both to Paper Mario and the upcoming Yoshi's Woolly World. But the art style is clearly inferior to the earlier Yoshi's Island, and in fact, doesn't appear to be technically much more impressive than the SNES Super Mario RPG.

The decision to go with Yoshi's Story set down a course for the Yoshi franchise that Nintendo continues to follow. Yoshi would carve out his own identity, with a style of gameplay different than Mario. Croc was clearly a Mario 64 clone, but Yoshi's Story showed Nintendo taking a stand, not making another 3D Platformer, even though they had perfected in the artform while everyone else was making Bug or Bubsy 3D.

The question I pose is, did Nintendo make the right decision? I love Yoshi's Island. I have a soft spot for Yoshi's Story, borne mostly of nostalgia, but also because the game is sometimes very fun. But I've had no interest in Yoshi's later outings for the Gameboy Advance, DS, and 3DS. It appears to be more of the same, with an art style still inferior to Yoshi's Island. Would Croc Yoshi have paved the way for differnt, better Yoshi future, or would it have been more generic, and lacking in charm?

All I know is, my favorite Yoshi game for the N64 was Chameleon Twist.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 16 2015 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i feel yoshi works better on a large screen, mostly cuz of the cute visuals. they lose something when they are shrunk down, although the screens on the 3DS are decent size, they still feel/look better on a TV instead. but thats just me.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Sep 17 2015 01:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

All I know was that Croc was a blast and I never even played Yoshi's Story. I'm sure it's decent or whatever.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Sep 23 2015 09:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never played Croc (though I want to), but Yoshi's Story is a game I adore, and feel that it gets way too much undeserved hate. Not as good as Yoshi's Island, sure, but still a fantastic game.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

LeshLush
PostPosted: Oct 20 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

These Yoshi's Woolly World trailers have really been getting my motor running. Strongly considering getting it next paycheck.
Reply to topic

Jump to: