SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What is your favorite point and click adventure game?

Reply to topic
Yasin_RGG90
PostPosted: May 10 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

What are your favorite point and click adventure games?
It's very much a dead genre, but there are still many classics to be played. In today's age of boring shooters and explosions, it's nice to relax and work at your own pace, exploring the story and solving puzzles.
Personally, my favorite is Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, a beautiful game aesthetically with the hand drawn backgrounds and characters. The story is also quite deep, and keeps me intrigued throughout. It is bloody difficult though, that goat puzzle stumped me for hours on end.

RUNNING IN THE 90S!
Also, check out my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RetroGamerGuardian90
You will not be disappointed, hopefully.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 10 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's a toss up between King's Quest IV, Day of the Tentacle or The Dig. Probably Day of the Tentacle though.

Yasin_RGG90
PostPosted: May 10 2015 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Between those three, I'd have to choose Kings Quest IV, it's so much fun. The story is interesting, the dialogue is well written and amusing, and the puzzles are great. Day of the Tentacle is pretty fun as well, but I was always a Sierra guy. Not to say Lucasarts were bad, I just prefered Sierra.
Haven't heard of The Dig, but I must say I am intrigued.

RUNNING IN THE 90S!

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 11 2015 01:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm usually a Sierra guy, too. Infinitely more challenging games (though some were just unfair), while Lucasarts had the "you can basically never lose" motto for many of their games.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: May 11 2015 02:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

The only point and click game I remember seriously playing was Zork: Grand Inquisitor which came with the Gateway PC my family got back in 1998. It's a fond memory.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Yasin_RGG90
PostPosted: May 11 2015 04:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Zork was a great series overall, always great fun, although Return to Zork was hard as balls. I wanted to like it so much, but I could never get very far in it all. Brutally difficult.
I still have a copy lying around, maybe it's time to finally Return to Zork after all these years (See what I did there? Hm? Hm? I'll be here all evening)

RUNNING IN THE 90S!

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: May 11 2015 09:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Peasant's Quest. I don't think the ending could be improved upon in any way.
maverickhuntergirlz492
PostPosted: May 11 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maniac Mansion is fun and so is Princess Tomato, I'd like to try Zakk and Wikki's Search for Barbaros Treasure some day if I can get my mitts on it
Methid Man
Title: Spawn of Billy Mays
PostPosted: May 12 2015 01:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty late in the game with this genre as I never had a chance to play these types of games when I was a kid. The first point-and-click game I ever played was Maniac Mansion back when I first started emulating games back in 2005 (in fact, MM was the very first game I played through emulation) so only within the past 10 years have I dabbled in these kinds of games. If it really is a dying genre then I guess I kinda "missed out" even though many of these games I have better access to than I did in the past, which is ironic.

Aside from Maniac Mansion, I've also played King's Quest, Willy Beamish, Scoody Doo Mystery on the Genesis, and I've lightly dabbled on Peasant's Quest. Not sure if Princess Tomato counts since that uses menu commands rather than a pointer, but if it does, I'll count that too as well as Snatcher and Policenauts.

RIP Hacker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Yasin_RGG90
PostPosted: May 12 2015 05:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Snatcher is more of a digital comic, but regardless it's still a masterpiece of game design and presentation.
Adventures of Willy Beamish was a game I have fond memories of, one of my first (and only) Mega CD games. Good fun, but a strange game, very odd presentation.
Maniac Mansion set the standard for the genre, and is still great fun to this day. Dave's theme on the NES version is still a rocking tune.

RUNNING IN THE 90S!

maverickhuntergirlz492
PostPosted: May 13 2015 01:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yasin_RGG90 wrote:
Snatcher is more of a digital comic, but regardless it's still a masterpiece of game design and presentation.
Adventures of Willy Beamish was a game I have fond memories of, one of my first (and only) Mega CD games. Good fun, but a strange game, very odd presentation.
Maniac Mansion set the standard for the genre, and is still great fun to this day. Dave's theme on the NES version is still a rocking tune.

hell yeah it is! love green tentacles solo too
Cattivo
PostPosted: May 13 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Another Sierra guy here. My favorite is probably Quest for Glory 1 (fka Hero's Quest).

I was a big fan of the Leisure Suit Larry series. Besides being risque, it was just flat out hilarious thanks to Al Lowe.
Yasin_RGG90
PostPosted: May 13 2015 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Another Sierra guy here. My favorite is probably Quest for Glory 1 (fka Hero's Quest).

I was a big fan of the Leisure Suit Larry series. Besides being risque, it was just flat out hilarious thanks to Al Lowe.

I agree entirely, Al Lowe is hilarious, I wish he'd get to work with a new Leisure Suit Larry game. Box Office Bust was awful on so many levels.

RUNNING IN THE 90S!

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: May 14 2015 04:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Space Quest IV was my all time favorite. That games was ridiculously hilarious.
Cattivo
PostPosted: May 14 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

What they did do the LSL franchise after they fired Al Lowe and the rest of the Sierra mainstays in the 90s was tragic. Possibly the darkest day in adventure game history. Still want to see what he had planned for LSL8.

I really enjoyed Space Quest V because of all the trek references.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: May 14 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Longest Journey and Full Throttle.
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: May 15 2015 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I plaid a Goosebumps point and click as a kid, I guess that one was my favorite since I remember it the most.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 15 2015 03:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

By and large, the MacVenture series, particularly the NES ports of Deja Vu and Shadowgate. Deju Vu was my very first point-and-click at the age of four. Not is it the game that sparked my love of the genre, but it's really what spawned my love of reading in general.

As for my modern favorite, probably either Downfall or The Cat Lady. Downfall is (so far) the only game to actually give me nightmares, and it's probably both the most accurate and abstract (and only?) portrayal of eating disorders and other psychological topics that I've seen in any video game. I adore The Cat Lady for similar reasons; there's a sequence early in the game where the protagonist struggles through daily routines without completely falling apart, and the accuracy of its portrayal of major depression is impressive. Both were made by the same person, which isn't surprising.

Other favorites include the NES port of Maniac Mansion, Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingtom, Resonance, and Clock Tower (a guilty pleasure). I really want to play I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream (though it doesn't seem to work on my computer, despite downloading it via Steam).

Reply to topic

Jump to: