"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
HBO

Reply to topic
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
No I got ya, I just was getting this "there's this special guy that only I really know about!" vibe from your comments.

There was an anime con at a hotel I stayed at one time, it was literally the most disgusting thing I've ever smelt, heard or seen. Just so much body odor, shit covered toilets, running "kids" (these people were definitely in their twenties) and so many fedoras. Oh God the fedoras.

Was not trying to pass that vibe, just not too sure most people are aware of how influential he has been, specifically on the topic of Scientology.

Also, I have been in those situations.

The two twin sisters at high school that dressed up in nothing but Sailor Moon outfits and talked loudly like they lived in that anime...

The freaks at the mall I worked at circa early 2,000's, with their Narotu goggles or bunny ears that were totally offended at you not knowing about some dumbshit obscure anime they were talking about when you very clearly had no interest in talking with these sorts of people at all (not to mention their preternatural ability to not understand this and just fuck off).
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 12 2015 03:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 16 2015 03:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Probable Muppet, I'd like to get back to the topic of Scientology and the occult for a moment, if you don't mind.

I don't know if you are aware (I would guess from your earlier posts that you are) that L. Ron Hubbard was close friends with Robert Heinlein and introduced him to the man who would become his agent, Lurton Blassingame. Other friends of Hubbard included Frank Herbert, Theodore Strugeon (who was present for Hubbard's "You want to make real money, start a religion" comment), Arthur C. Clarke and William F. Nolan, to name a few. It is very interesting that all of these authors have various occult themes present in their work and in many ways have greatly influenced the world as we experience it today. The amount of metafictional and even magickal references in the aforementioned authors' works is quite fascinating.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 16 2015 06:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Probable Muppet, I'd like to get back to the topic of Scientology and the occult for a moment, if you don't mind.

I don't know if you are aware (I would guess from your earlier posts that you are) that L. Ron Hubbard was close friends with Robert Heinlein and introduced him to the man who would become his agent, Lurton Blassingame. Other friends of Hubbard included Frank Herbert, Theodore Strugeon (who was present for Hubbard's "You want to make real money, start a religion" comment), Arthur C. Clarke and William F. Nolan, to name a few. It is very interesting that all of these authors have various occult themes present in their work and in many ways have greatly influenced the world as we experience it today. The amount of metafictional and even magickal references in the aforementioned authors' works is quite fascinating.

Yes I know that. You know I have a tendency to make already long winded posts and I try my best not to. Accused of this by Woodzy (I say this lightly, I sort of stopped talking about this thinking "There is enough, or more than enough information for people to educate themselves on the topic if they are interested in doing so, as my attempt to do so is starting to anger people."

All of the above people lived in the same era and traveled the same circles. They may have been influenced by not just the occult but history. You do your research on these topics when writing fiction. I have done that research for the same reason. Frank Herbert wrote my favorite series of science fiction, space drugs and space Jews ect ect extrapolated to the extreme. It's just too bad he died before his son fucked it all up.

In the case of Frank Herbert and Clarke; I would argue that they were far too smart to fall into the crazy place occupied by Crowley and LRH. They continued to be authors and not megalomaniac cult leaders. There is a very thin line, a tight-rope walked carefully over that abyss.

And no, I don't mind at all. Just feel like both of us are speaking to the choir especially when talking to each other. I love talking about this shit.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 03:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Also, can't help myself. You lead lead me on to believe less than you originally stated on how much you know or knew about this subject . If this is not the case sorry. The doc was free to anyone who had cable last weekend by the way...

I will not stop thinking or believing that Scientology is something nothing short of sick. A plague that needs to be purged.

Question(s), did you watch the movie? Have you read the books? Have you been to this church? Do you know what I mean? Why have you not answered my questions, as I have done my best to answer yours? Or do I need to keep talking...

Wink
Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Conclusion: It's all a Satanic conspiracy! Wink
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Conclusion: It's all a Satanic conspiracy! Wink

Just the opposite. It's all bullshit.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it seems like that. All the occult stuff just stoked my Catholic instincts. Wink
@om*d
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Probable Muppet wrote:
Also, can't help my self. You lead lead me on to believe less than you originally stated on how much you know or knew about this subject . If this not the case sorry.
My apologies, as I do indeed know a bit more than I made myself out to know. I did so because discussing religion or spirituality in an online forum can be a dicey endeavor. Sometimes I approach discussions such as these as though my will is not my own. What more can I say? Amen.

Probable Muppet wrote:
I will not stop thinking or believing that Scientology is something nothing short of sick. A plague that needs to be purged.

Most organized religions offer some form of salvation, benediction or other spiritual "enlightenment" in exchange for tribute and devotion. I would argue that almost all religions (the organizations, I have no problem with what others would like to believe) should be dissolved.

Probable Muppet wrote:
Question(s), did you watch the movie? Have you read the books? Have you been to this church? Do you know what I mean? Why have you not answered my questions, as I have done my best to answer yours?

No. Yes. Yes. Pretty much. I have been busy and now I shall answer some that I have found.

Probable Muppet wrote:
Would you not agree that LRH and Miscavige are megalomaniacs and a bit nuts?

Of course they are. I am sure I would have the same opinion of almost any leader of any organization in our times, or even if I were to travel back or forward in time and meet founders of leaders of organizations that have been and have yet to be. The pursuit and acquisition of power can be intoxicating. In the hands of the feebleminded, such power can be dangerous. I am sure we also know that power can corrupt those who are lacking in will.

Probable Muppet wrote:
As for your familiarity with Crowley, please elaborate...
Well, I own at least 30 books written by him(or compiled by editors from his writings posthumously). Being raised Catholic, I was always interested in the occult, as that which remains hidden in plain sight is a huge part of Roman Catholicism. I also have deep interests in Gnosticism, Hinduism and Buddhism, among many others. A great director once said, "In a mad world, only the mad are sane." Sometimes you just have to reach out and feel the madness, you know what I mean? Anyways, I am just here to collect and reflect. If I can, through my actions or inactions, get others to introspect about what they think about certain subjects, then the day is good.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We do in fact have a lot in common (sorry, maybe =). That is where I will leave it. One day I hope we meet in a bar under the sea.

"When the going gets weird, the wierd turn pro."
@om*d
PostPosted: Apr 17 2015 01:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I should have also added that I had an aunt on my mother's side of the family who was a Scientologist. The last anyone ever heard from her she was going to Clearwater, Florida. She disappeared when I was quite young in the mid 1980s.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Jul 11 2015 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sderiis
PostPosted: Oct 12 2019 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My roommate just switched our cable from Comcast to (cheaper) AT&T, paying extra for HBO. I'm going to enjoy catching John Oliver the night of release, rather than just the segments they post to youtube.
Grampa Fuddy
Title: Silly Hats Only
PostPosted: Jul 24 2020 01:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Going through this thread about HBO and I'm surprised no one posted the epic feature presentation intro they used back in the 80s and 90s.

"I don't like zoos. Awful." --Christopher Walken

Flexderec
PostPosted: Aug 07 2020 03:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sidewaydriver however.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Aug 07 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Grampa Fuddy wrote:
Going through this thread about HBO and I'm surprised no one posted the epic feature presentation intro they used back in the 80s and 90s.

When I was a kid in the 90s, I remember HBO being really explicit, something adults paid extra for and watched at night. I didn't realize it was mostly safe shows, and even now I'm amused that it is family friendly now. HBO Max seems pretty cool.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Reply to topic

Jump to: