"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
HBO

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Apr 07 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*single tear rolls down cheek*

This was truly something beautiful. I have never been more proud.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Apr 07 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hope you read it before he went back to edit his posts to make it look like he was onto the trolling.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 07 2015 04:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay first off, I initially suspected the trolling. I did not edit that in. I suspected this all the way up until you posted that phone number but less and less as the posts continued. Woodzy I honestly thought was pissed.

Sidewaydriver however. Jesus fuck, you really had me going there, I will admit.

You bastard. =)

I do lots and lots of edits. Mostly due to the fact that I am on an iPad and use the auto fill feature too much while distracted by other tasks. That and the iPad often automatically attempts corrects as you are typing. It is quite annoying and this is not specific to this thread.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 07 2015 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, just glad there's no long term damage done and you don't have PTSD from this or something.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 07 2015 05:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Haha, just glad there's no long term damage done and you don't have PTSD from this or something.

No, it was a more of a I'm shaking my head thinking "This is fucking unbelievable, is this guy for real?" kind of thing. This probably should have been a clue...

That and the fact he uses Pol Pot as his avatar, which I did comment on specially when he flipped to the Fox News comment.

Rolling Eyes

Edit: In my defense, I have seen people from Scientology lash out in batshit insane ways at critics similar to this in other forums both public and on the Internet before. Sidewaydriver did a pretty good job of emulating this behavior wether he knew it or not.

It should be obvious by now how much I dislike this religion. Not its membership, but it's concept and leadership.

I went to junior college back when I was 18 years old and these people were everywhere with two or three booths at this institution (De Anza in Cupertino). They would aggressively attempt to recruit. Out of boredom and curiosity I started a conversation one day with one of them when approached. They ended up taking me to a room at this JC and attempted to E-Meter me. At this point I just walked the fuck out.

This peaked my interest however, so off and on for years after I looked into it. The more you do so the harder it is for me to understand how people have not gone to jail.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I apologize for taking it so far. At first I was just messing around but after I said I hated Scientology and you sounded skeptical, I wanted to see how ridiculous it could get. I promise, nothing I said was legitimate in the least.

Also, I don't really think you're an Isamaphobic racist.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

And on the subject of my meows, I don't actually type that. GPFontaine did something where it automatically adds that to the end of all my posts. It's strictly involuntary.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

People are so quick to act all outraged online, I find it quite amusing at times. I actually feel like you have to be in the know to act in such a way. It really does look ridiculous from the outside looking in.

I would like to know more about the Scientology stuff that was alluded to and I would prefer if it would be posted here in this thread instead of through PMs so other people can have a chance to learn something and form their own opinion on the matter.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
And on the subject of my meows, I don't actually type that. GPFontaine did something where it automatically adds that to the end of all my posts. It's strictly involuntary.

No, I know about your Meows.

I can't say that I don't look back through this thread and smile. That is some quality trolling...

Still a bastard. =)
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
People are so quick to act all outraged online, I find it quite amusing at times. I actually feel like you have to be in the know to act in such a way. It really does look ridiculous from the outside looking in.

I would like to know more about the Scientology stuff that was alluded to and I would prefer if it would be posted here in this thread instead of through PMs so other people can have a chance to learn something and form their own opinion on the matter.

It will take some time but sure.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Those fucks would set up tents on my campus too and bug the shit out of me. I assure you I share your disdain. And don't get all soft on me now, I hate the members just as much as the rest of it.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 02:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

The origin of the Church of Scientology is stranger than fiction.

First it is important to know a little bit about Aleister Crowley. A famous (infamous) British occultist who was a member and leader of a number of secrect societies most prominently The Order of the Golden Dawn and Ordo Templi Orientis and the A:A:. He is arguably one of the most influential occultists of all time.

All of these organizations still exist today, but read on...

He created something called the Thelema in a book called The Book of The Law (Liber Legis or Liber AL vel Legis) claiming that he channeled an angel named Aiwass through his muse The Scarlet Women, Red Rose, Divine Whore ect. (Leila Waddell). Some of these organizations go back 100s of years or more and he is heavily influenced by alchemist John Dee, Hermantic Qabalistic beliefs such as the Tree of Sephiroth, Eastern Philosophy, The Lesser Key of Solomon (a book of forbidden knowladge used to supposedly summon demons) and heavy drug use. This book was created in 1904. He began referring to himself as "The Beast 666" and was a hopeless opium addict which eventually lead to his death.

His most famous quote is:

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

This can and has been misinterpreted in many ways...

I should also disclose that I find Crowley absolutely fascinating as evidenced on my own very outdated wiki page on this site. He is full of shit and crazy as hell but nothing less than one of the most influential individuals of the last century that almost nobody knows about. Listed as one of the most important British citizens right along with Churchill. I can elaborate on this further but it is off topic.

On that note, he actually was approached by British intellegence in WWII and was procured as a propagandist and as a result heavily influenced a fellow spy by the name of Ian Fleming whom you may know as the creator of James Bond.

This is a topic all in itself. There is a lot more to it but I'm getting tired. Also, I own all of the above books I admit. Good luck making sense of any of Crowley's books though as they are cryptic as fuck, but sadly, I would say I might be able to help with that. Confused Although I am pretty sure nobody would be interested and a lot of people are just straight scared of this kind of shit and creeped out by it (including my girlfriend).

So, anyways how does this apply to Scientology? Well several of Crowley's protégés and students started other organizations. Anton Szandor Lavey started something called The Church of Satan, Micheal A. Aquino started The Temple of Set (arguably a more aggressive version of the Church of Satan) and L Ron Hubbard by way of another student of Crowley was heavily influenced in the creation of the church of Scientology. A chemical/rocket NASA scientist named Jack Parsons.

All of these people ended up hating each other as they are all megalomaniac/sociopathic self proclaimed messiahs of their own separate version of the new "Aeon".

http://io9.com/5978746/the-strangely-true-connection-between-scientology-the-jet-propulsion-lab-and-pagan-sorcery

All of the above have very similar levels of degrees required to reach enlightenment. Also, all still exist to this day and you are welcome to join any of the above if you wish. Very Happy

Quick side note from the cult known as the A:A:

"The A∴A∴ applies what it describes as mystical and magical methods of spiritual attainment under the structure of the Qabalistic Tree of Life, and aims to research, practice, and teach "scientific illuminism".

Sound familiar?

Ironically, Scientology is by far the most dangerous.

More on that later...

Edit: I can try to add more anchored links later into this post but I am getting tired. Until then Google it at the least if more curious.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

A bit more to chew on until I post more:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY

"I’d like to start a religion. That’s where the money is."
- L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach in 1949, quoted by Eshbach in OVER MY SHOULDER: REFLECTIONS ON A SCIENCE FICTION ERA. Donald M. Grant Publisher, 1983

L. Ron Hubbard established the Church of Scientology (CoS) in 1954 against the following backdrop: He had dropped out of college with failing grades. Although he would later claim a distinguished wartime naval career, Hubbard in fact never saw combat and left the US Navy petitioning the Veterans Administration for psychiatric care. Two bigamous marriages failed. He found success writing pulp/science fiction, but as he declared in the late 1940s: "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion." (1)

Hubbard took up ritual magic, the occult and hypnosis, giving demonstrations of hypnosis in 1948 and writing to his literary agent about a therapy system he was working on that had tremendous promotional and sales potential. (2) Piecing together hypnotic techniques, Freudian theories, Buddhist concepts and elements of other philosophies and practices, Hubbard came up with Dianetics. He published DIANETICS: THE MODERN SCIENCE OF MENTAL HEALTH in 1950.

In Dianetic practice the "patient," working with a partner called an "auditor" recalls past painful experiences in reverse chronological sequence, supposedly erasing their negative effects and attaining a state called "clear," allegedly free from all ills. (3) The auditor carefully records any intimate revelations, including sexual or criminal activities and marital or family troubles; these records are kept on file.

Hubbard represented Dianetics as a mental health therapy. He asserted that it was scientifically based and developed through careful research, and his use of the word "patient" suggests that he anticipated acceptance of Dianetics by the medical profession. But he never produced copies of any research protocol. Dianetics was opposed immediately by the American Medical Association and the American Psychological Association, the latter recommending that its members limit use of Dianetic techniques to investigation only, until Hubbard’s claimed results could be corroborated. (4)

The public, however, made the book a bestseller, and it seemed that Hubbard’s ship had come in.
He created the Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation to promulgate his theories and techniques.

With auditors repeatedly asking patients in trance state to recall "earlier similar incidents," patients began to report past lifetime experiences. Hubbard incorporated belief in past lives into his evolving ideology, discussing the concept in his second Dianetics book, SCIENCE OF SURVIVAL.

The Hubbard Foundation began to collapse as the initial Dianetics craze wore off, and Hubbard’s new-found emphasis on past lives exacerbated tensions with the Foundation’s financial partners. By 1952 Hubbard was penniless and had lost control of Dianetics.

Scientology is Born
Hubbard became interested in a type of lie detector called the "electropsychometer" that he believed would yield better results in auditing. He obtained a franchise for this device, which he renamed the Hubbard Electrometer, or E-meter. He began calling patients "pre-clears" and "within six weeks had created a new subject apparently out of thin air." (5)

Hubbard called his new subject Scientology and in introducing it, he claimed to have discovered the human soul. Whereas Dianetics had addressed the body, Scientology involved freeing souls (which Hubbard called "thetans") from supposed entrapment in the physical or material world and restoring their alleged supernatural powers.

Hubbard established a headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona, awarded himself the degree of D.Scn. (Doctor of Scientology) and in May 1952 incorporated the Hubbard Association of Scientologists International under the personal control of himself and his third wife, Mary Sue. The AMA meanwhile continued its opposition to Dianetics and Scientology.

In 1953 Hubbard regained control of Dianetics after a protracted legal battle and incorporated the Church of Scientology, Church of American Science and Church of Spiritual Engineering. In 1954 he incorporated the Church of Scientology of California, which became the mother church. In 1956 the church was granted US federal tax-exempt status.

In 1957, passing himself off as a nuclear physicist, Hubbard gave a series of lectures in London on "nuclear radiation and health," promoting a vitamin compound which he claimed cured both "radiation sickness" and cancer. Also that year the CIA began a file on him.

Hubbard repeatedly wrote to the FBI with complaints of Communist and Nazi persecution. The Bureau considered him a mental case, but kept a file on him and would later, as his organization grew, investigate him actively...abusively, Scientologists maintain. (6) (7)

International Expansion
In 1959 Hubbard moved to England and bought Saint Hill Mansion in Sussex, from which he would direct international operations and expansion of the CoS until 1967. The 1960s saw the introduction of "Ethics" procedures, which include harsh punishments (even for children) and the "disconnection" policy, which requires Scientologists to sever ties with family and friends critical of Scientology.

Although the essentials of Scientology had been thoroughly presented early on, Hubbard turned out a steady stream of books and audio tapes that are aggressively marketed to his followers. He created systems of "Security Checks" in which members are interrogated to ensure loyalty and extract confessions. He produced reams of policy directives on subjects varying from Scientology "tech" (technology) to church management to approved cleaning solvents to his own recipe for baby formula; all these missives are considered by CoS members to be sacred scripture.

In the late 1960s Hubbard released the "upper levels." Scientologists who had spent hundreds or thousands of hours vainly pursuing often-promised supernatural abilities were guaranteed that these procedures would finally deliver on the promise. Based on a science-fiction-like story taking place millions of years ago and involving a cruel Galactic despot named Xenu and his evil minions (elsewhere identified as present-day Christian clergy and psychiatrists), the upper levels are kept secret until a member is deemed ready to receive them. The estimated cost from beginning Scientology courses through completion of the upper levels is today $300,000 - $500,000 in US dollars.

In 1967 the IRS stripped Scientology’s mother church of its tax-exempt status. With his organization coming under increasing scrutiny from a variety of governments and tax woes abounding, Hubbard wrote his famous "Fair Game" law, which states that anyone named an enemy of Scientology "may be tricked, sued, lied to or destroyed." (Cool A year later, he would issue a directive canceling use of the term, "Fair Game," (due to negative publicity) but making plain that attacks on Scientology’s perceived enemies were to continue. (9)

In mid-1967 Hubbard bought three ships and put to sea with a small cadre of followers. Styling himself "the Commodore," he spent the next several years wandering the Atlantic, pursued by imaginary Reds and Nazis and attended by "Commodore’s Messengers," teenaged girls dressed in white hot pants who waited on him hand and foot, bathing and dressing him and even catching the ash from his cigarettes. He had frequent screaming tantrums and instituted brutal punishments such as incarceration in the ship’s filthy chain-locker for days or weeks at a time and "overboarding," in which errant crew members were blindfolded, bound and thrown overboard, dropping up to 40 ft. into the cold sea and hoping not to hit the side of the ship with its razor-sharp barnacles on the way down. These punishments applied to children as well as to adults.

Hubbard made bungling attempts to take over Morocco and Rhodesia and was banned from further entry into Britain. He began the Sea Organization (SO), whose members wear pseudo-naval uniforms, adopt naval ranks, sign billion year contracts and are pressured to have abortions when they become pregnant because children are perceived as interfering with their SO obligations. Hubbard created the infamously abusive Rehabilitation Project Force as a special punishment for SO members who fail to follow orders, make mistakes or fall short of production goals.

Going Religious
During the early 1970s the IRS "proved that Hubbard was skimming millions of dollars from the church, laundering the money through dummy corporations in Panama and stashing it in Swiss bank accounts. Moreover, church members stole IRS documents, filed false tax returns and harassed the agency’s employees." (10)

A US federal court in 1971 ruled that Hubbard’s medical claims were bogus and that E-meter auditing could not be called a scientific treatment. The CoS responded by "going fully religious, seeking First Amendment protection...counselors started sporting clerical collars. Chapels were built, franchises became ‘missions,’ fees became ‘fixed donations,’ and Hubbard’s comic-book cosmology became ‘sacred scriptures.’" (11)

After years of running the Scientology organization from aboard his flagship, the Apollo, in 1975 Hubbard bought the Fort Harrison Hotel and a former bank building in downtown Clearwater, Florida under the name United Churches of Florida, to hide Scientology’s connection. He moved his crew to Clearwater, establishing the Flagship Land Base, a.k.a. "Flag."

While the Church of Scientology continued to expand, its private intelligence agency known as the Guardian’s Office (GO) ran cloak-and-dagger operations against the mayor of Clearwater, various governmental agencies and anyone else perceived as in their way.

Hubbard had established the GO in 1966 for internal and external security purposes. The GO’s purview included attacking critics, keeping members in line and silencing defectors. GO agents "stole medical files, sent out anonymous smear letters, framed critics for criminal acts, blackmailed, bugged and burgled opponents, and infiltrated government offices stealing thousands of files...Critics were to be driven to breakdown or harassed into silence." (12) Eventually, in the early 1980s, eleven GO officials, including Hubbard’s wife, were imprisoned following a massive bugging and burgling operation against government offices across the US that Hubbard had personally created and code-named "Operation Snow White." Hubbard, himself was named as an unindicted co-conspirator but escaped justice because no one could find him.

Almost from the beginning, Hubbard had been in trouble with the law. In 1951 the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners brought proceedings against him for teaching medicine without a license; he fled to Los Angeles to escape prosecution. His organizations were repeatedly charged with practicing medicine without a license; E-meters and vitamin compounds were seized. The FDA accused Scientology of falsely claiming the E-meter could cure medical ailments and all E-meters were required to carry labels disavowing such claims.

At various times, Hubbard (and/or the church) was investigated by the US Justice Department, the FBI, FDA, CIA, IRS, NSA, Bureau of Customs, DEA, DOD, the Secret Service, the US Post Office, INS, BATF, Department of Labor, police departments of various US cities as well as Interpol and a host of other governmental agencies worldwide. Hubbard was convicted in absentia of fraud in France. The Church of Scientology was convicted of breach of the public trust and infiltration of government offices in Canada. Scientology was banned by the state of Victoria, Australia. Hubbard attributed all these events to widespread plotting by Russian communists, neofascists, bankers, the media, the IRS, Christian clergy, fiendish extraterrestrials and the psychiatric profession, which he considered his arch enemy.

Scientology Post-Hubbard
Hubbard went into seclusion following the "Operation Snow White" debacle and in the early 1980s David Miscavige, a second-generation Scientologist, took the reins of Scientology at age 21. At that time "...high-level defectors [were] accusing Hubbard of having stolen as much as $200 million from the church [and] the IRS was seeking an indictment of Hubbard for tax fraud. Scientology members ‘worked day and night’ shredding documents the IRS sought," (13) according to a defector. Hubbard died in 1986 before the criminal case could be prosecuted.

During the power struggles and purges of the 1980s, many people left the church. Some established independent organizations based on Hubbard’s writings. The CoS quickly undertook mass copyrighting of all Hubbard materials and took legal steps to shut down the independents. In 1983 the Office of Special Affairs was created to carry on the purposes of the defunct Guardian’s Office. (14)

In 1991 the internet newsgroup alt.religion.scientology (A.R.S.) appeared. Scientology immediately pounced, but the church’s heavy-handed attempts to shut down A.R.S. failed. The conflict attracted the attention of free speech advocates worldwide and sparked a proliferation of anti-Scientology newsgroups and websites.

Hubbard advocated harassment of opponents by lawsuit, and so following the CoS’s loss of tax-exempt status in 1967, Scientology declared war. For 26 years "...they attacked the IRS consistently on many fronts; suing and investigating individual IRS agents, deliberately obscuring their records, constantly suing the IRS directly, taking out anti-IRS advertisements, funding anti-IRS groups, lying, infiltrating, stealing, bugging, offering rewards for IRS whistleblowers, pressuring congressmen to investigate the IRS, filing countless Freedom of Information Act requests, creating a corporate maze, publishing anti-IRS articles in their own magazines, and other methods. The attacks worked." (15)

In 1993 the beleaguered IRS and the Church of Scientology International reached an agreement, the terms of which were kept secret but were leaked to THE WALL STREET JOURNAL four years later. Per the agreement, the church gained tax-exempt status for itself and its subsidiaries and in return agreed to drop the lawsuits and settle its back tax obligations with a payment of $12.5 million -- a fraction of the estimated amount owed. Many questions have been raised about provisions of this agreement, however the IRS and CoS maintain that it is confidential and will not discuss it. (16)

Scientologists have sought to undermine anti-cult groups by infiltrating them or shutting them down outright. Multiple lawsuits were filed against the Cult Awareness Network (CAN), which was for 20 years the US’s best known resource for information and advice on religious cults. CAN’s legal fees forced it into bankruptcy; the rights to CAN’s name, logo and hotline number were bought by a Scientologist in bankruptcy court and the new CAN is staffed by Scientologists.

The CoS relies heavily on celebrity spokespeople and front groups for favorable publicity and recruiting. A number of organizations working in the areas of literacy, drug counseling, human rights, and business and management techniques, while not legally connected to the Church of Scientology, promote Hubbard’s philosophy and draw people into the church. The CoS capitalized on the Sept. 11, 2001 World Trade Center tragedy, with its corps of "Volunteer Ministers" setting up a flurry of centers to help/recruit traumatized emergency workers and grieving families, while simultaneously interfering with mental health professionals wherever possible. (17) And US troops returning from service in Iraq have apparently been targeted for recruitment into the church. (1Cool.

Governments in France, Germany, Australia, Israel, Spain, Canada, Greece, Italy, Sweden, the Netherlands, Denmark, England and elsewhere have taken actions to protect their citizens from exploitation by religious cults, with Scientology frequently a focus of concern.

In recent years, hundreds of longtime Scientologists have quit the church (many charging emotional and physical abuse) and are criticizing it, despite the CoS’s well known reputation for ruthlessly harassing critics. (19) (20) Some have continued practicing Scientology outside the CoS. Others have sued the church and won; most notable perhaps is Lawrence Wollersheim, who was paid over $8 million by the church in 2003 after winning a case in which he claimed that Scientology practices had nearly driven him to suicide.

In 2003 Fox News and other media outlets reported that the Church of Scientology has begun requiring its members to sign a release form agreeing to be held against their will for indefinite periods, isolated from friends and family and denied access to medical care (particularly psychiatric care) and absolving the church of responsibility for any resultant harm. (21) The document was apparently drawn up in response to a wrongful-death suit brought against the church in 1997 by the family of Lisa McPherson, a 36-year-old Scientologist who died in 1995 after being held in isolation for 17 days while undergoing Scientology "processes" at the Fort Harrison Hotel in Clearwater. At the time of her death, she was comatose, severely dehydrated and covered in cockroach bites. Following a seven-year legal battle, an out-of-court agreement settling the suit was reached in May 2004; the terms of this agreement were sealed. (22)

Today, directly across the street from the Fort Harrison Hotel, where Lisa McPherson suffered and died, Scientology’s new 380,000-square-foot headquarters is under construction. It is called the "Super Power" building, after the "Super Power Rundown" ("rundown" in Scientology parlance = a series of steps designed to produce a certain result) which, according to Hubbard, "consists of 12 separate high power rundowns which are brand new and enter realms of the tech never before approached... [giving a Scientologist] the super powers of infinity." (23)

NOTES:
1. Eugene M. Methvin, "Scientology: Anatomy of a Frightening Cult," READER’S DIGEST, May 1980. http://tinyurl.com/2dkw2
2. Jon Atack. "The Total Freedom Trap: Scientology, Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard," Chapter 9. Online article: http://tinyurl.com/245dd
3. L. Ron Hubbard. DIANETICS: THE MODERN SCIENCE OF MENTAL HEALTH. (Los Angeles, Bridge Publications, original copyright 1950, edition 1992., pp. 13-14).
4. Lucy Freeman. "Psychologists act against Dianetics," THE NEW YORK TIMES, September 9, 1950.
5. Op. cit., Jon Atack, chapter 10. http://tinyurl.com/245dd
6. CHRONOLOGY OF THE SCIENTOLOGY MOVEMENT, compiled by the Free Zone Association, individuals practicing Scientology outside the CoS. http://tinyurl.com/2ws9u
7. Collection of FBI files relating to L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. http://tinyurl.com/28ur2
8. L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 18 October 1967.
"ENEMY SP Order. Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed."[SP = Suppressive Person a.k.a. critic of Scientology]
9. L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 21 October 1968, "Cancellation of Fair Game"
"The practice of declaring people FAIR GAME will cease. FAIR GAME may not appear on any Ethics Order. It causes bad public relations. This P/L does not cancel any policy on the treatment or handling of an SP."
10. Richard Behar. "Scientology: The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power," TIME MAGAZINE,May 6, 1991. http://tinyurl.com/28nox
11. Ibid.
12. Op. cit., Atack, chapter 16.
13. Op. cit., Behar.
14. Chris Owen. "Scientology’s Secret Service: An exposé of the shady activities of Scientology’s intelligence agencies." Online article: http://tinyurl.com/37nw4
15. Jeff Jacobsen. "Scientology’s Tax Exemption Should be Rescinded." July 19, 2001. Online article: http://tinyurl.com/26ow5
16. Ibid.
17. Chris Owen. "Scientology at Ground Zero." May 2003. Online article: http://tinyurl.com/23kt3
18. Press Release, April 26, 2004, from L. Ron Hubbard Public Relations West U.S., "Collateral Damage in Iraq Includes Military Suicide" http://tinyurl.com/2n8gk
19. Guardian Order, GO 121669 MSH, 16 December 1969, "Programme: Intelligence: Internal Security"
[MSH = L. Ron Hubbard’s wife, Mary Sue, head of the Guardian’s Office] http://tinyurl.com/2mkst
20. Sworn affidavit of former CoS executive Jesse Prince. http://tinyurl.com/2uuof
21. The Church of Scientology’s release of liability agreement. http://tinyurl.com/35lws
22. Robert Farley. "Scientologists settle death suit," ST. PETERSBURG (Florida) TIMES, May 29, 2004. http://tinyurl.com/yqxj5
23. L. Ron Hubbard, Ron’s Journal 30, 17 December 1978. Super Power Rundown Series, Confidential, Executive Directive.

REFERENCES:
Jon Atack. A PIECE OF BLUE SKY: SCIENTOLOGY, DIANETICS AND L. RON HUBBARD EXPOSED (New York: Lyle Stuart/Carol Publishing Group, 1990). http://tinyurl.com/25rov

Jon Atack. "Possible Origins for Dianetics and Scientology." Online article, extensively referenced.
http://tinyurl.com/37pnb

Stacy Brooks. "My Perspective on Auditing." Online article. http://tinyurl.com/ypzkl

Paulette Cooper. THE SCANDAL OF SCIENTOLOGY. 1970. Web edition November 1997. Cooper’s groundbreaking book on Scientology precipitated a 15-year ordeal of harassment by the Church of Scientology that included nineteen lawsuits, theft, malicious prosection and framing her for bomb threats. http://tinyurl.com/ypk3k

"Cult Awareness Network now in the hands of Scientology." Online notice at the American Family Foundation website: http://tinyurl.com/37kep

"Did the cult Scientology bludgeon the IRS into a billion dollar tax revenue give-away?" Online article at factnet.org. http://tinyurl.com/ywept

Essays on Scientology. An online collection of 37 articles. http://tinyurl.com/2ho4m

Martin Gardner. "Propheteering business," Nature, 14 January 1988, p. 125 http://tinyurl.com/3ehor

L. Ron Hubbard. SCIENCE OF SURVIVAL (Los Angeles: Bridge Publications, original copyright 1951, edition 1989).

"Human rights group in hands of a cult." IOL World online news service, June 16, 2000. French anti-cult official claims that the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights has been infiltrated by the Church of Scientology. http://tinyurl.com/2g595

Jeff Jacobsen. "A Brief History of Scientology." Online article. http://tinyurl.com/2jsyj

Stephen A. Kent, "The Creation of ‘Religious’ Scientology." Paper presented at the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, 1992. Published in RELIGIOUS STUDIES AND THEOLOGY, Vol. 18, No. 2, December 1999, pp. 97-126. This paper references L. Ron Hubbard’s Professional Auditor’s Bulletin, No. 31, 23 July 1954, "Duplication" which describes Hubbard’s belief that Christian clergy and psychiatrists "implanted" thetans (Scientology’s term for the soul) with false and misleading information in the cosmological past and that both occupations continue to implant people today. http://tinyurl.com/22xt4

Stephen Koff. "Scientology Faces New Charges of Harassment," ST. PETERSBURG [FLORIDA] TIMES, December 22, 1988. http://tinyurl.com/2erl5

John A. Lee. LEE REPORT ON DIANETICS AND SCIENTOLOGY. This is chapter 4 of SECTARIAN HEALERS AND HYPNOTHERAPY, a study for the Committee on the Healing Arts, Canadian government. Ontario, 1970. http://tinyurl.com/3hlyr

LMT Literati Contest: Essays on the nature of Scientology. Winning essays online: http://tinyurl.com/ywrkl

Eugene M. Methvin. "Scientology: The Sickness Spreads," READER’S DIGEST, October 1981. http://tinyurl.com/237px

Russell Miller. BARE-FACED MESSIAH: THE TRUE STORY OF L. RON HUBBARD (London: Michael Joseph Ltd., 1987). http://tinyurl.com/3d2sk

Bette Swenson Orsini and Charles Stafford won a Pulitzer Prize in 1980 for their 14-part investigation of the Church of Scientology for the ST. PETERSBURG [FLORIDA] TIMES. http://tinyurl.com/35jbv

REPORT OF THE BOARD OF ENQUIRY INTO SCIENTOLOGY, by Kevin Victor Anderson, Q.C. Published 1965 by the State of Victoria, Australia. Also known as the "Anderson Report." Exhaustive report on Scientology. http://tinyurl.com/yq6co

Joel Sappell and Robert W. Welkos, "The Scientology Story," LOS ANGELES TIMES, a six-part series, June 24-29, 1990 http://tinyurl.com/3djd9

Scientology v. the IRS. An online clearinghouse for reports and court records on the Scientology v. IRS controversy. http://tinyurl.com/2t5yw

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
The official Church of Scientology website:
www.scientology.org

Websites for the Freezone, practicing Scientology outside the CoS:
www.fzaoint.net
www.fza.org
www.freezone.org

Alternate views:
www.xenu.net
www.factnet.org
www.scientologywatch.org
www.suppressiveperson.org/
www.spaink.net
www.snafu.de/~tilman/
www.narconon-exposed.org
www.studytech.org
www.modemac.com
www.truthaboutscientology.com
www.scientology-lies.com
www.lermanet.com
www.freedomofmind.com
www.altreligionscientology.org
www.xenutv.com

--------------------

How does it silence its critics:

http://tonyortega.org/2013/06/10/scientology-goes-after-critics-with-legal-threat-letters-following-strange-infiltration/
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 08 2015 02:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

One last post for tonight. This guy is the great grandson of LRH. His grandfather was L Ron Hubbard Jr. Before having to change his name to DeWolf out of fear. (odd how people directly related to the church's current leader Miscavige, who was groomed as a teen by LRH himself to succeed him, have reacted similarly to Miscavige; most of this is not in that documentary).

I admit he is a hipster douchebag. He can't help it though as he is related to LRH. =)

He actually sort of admits this himself. Just don't let this get in the way of what he has to say when viewing it.

View on YouTube Very Happy

There is also a movie called The Master (which I believe is available on Netflix) that is a portrayal of Scientology and LRH without ever mentioning either out of fear of retribution from the church. It really pissed of Scientology regardless:

View on YouTube

In the trailer the fellow who states "He is making this all up as he goes along. Do you not see that?" Is LRH jr. AKA DeWolf.

At the very least it has Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman. On that note, fuck drugs in killing Hoffman and Joaquin's older brother, River Pheonix (of Stand by Me fame ect.).

Anyways...

If you are not a little bit creeped out or angry at this point regarding this topic, then I don't know what else to say...

Besides well, I have a lot more to say, and dammit I hope that there aren't any actual Scientologists on this board...
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 01:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

hah... that was awesome trolling indeed. its been a while since i have read something like that

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

So Scientology is like pretty much every other religion, except since it is modern in origin we have a more detailed history of its founding and shady practices.

It doesn't sound as bad as people make it out to be. Everything is open to interpretation and "laws" can be upheld and applied differently over the generations. Give it some time.

Also, I should note that I am quite familiar with Crowley and the various Thelemic orders. Looking into my post history and observing some of my actions over my time here should make that obvious to anybody familiar with Thelema.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
So Scientology is like pretty much every other religion, except since it is modern in origin we have a more detailed history of its founding and shady practices.

It doesn't sound as bad as people make it out to be. Everything is open to interpretation and "laws" can be upheld and applied differently over the generations. Give it some time.

Also, I should note that I am quite familiar with Crowley and the various Thelemic orders. Looking into my post history and observing some of my actions over my time here should make that obvious to anybody familiar with Thelema.

This is exactly why discussing religion is dangerous, as it may very well piss people off. I wouldn't argue that other religions have done more harm in the past but again this is a sensitive topic. However, I would argue that due to the fact it is a more modern religion is exactly why it is important to talk about it, especially considering Scientology in regards to how it deals with its critics using pretty brutal and often illegal means.

Would you not agree that LRH and Miscavige are megalomaniacs and a bit nuts? You kind of have to be one to start a religion especially in the case of scientology; it is Themela with a science fiction twist and a pretty obviously ridiculous one IMO. In the case of Miscavige he actively parcipates in humiliating the church's executives and there are multiple examples of him using physical violence to intimidate them. What kind of church leader jumps up on a table and punches one of his subordinates in the face during a board meeting, or plays audio/video of Tom Cuise's auditing sessions at parties containing his sexually fantasies for kicks?

As for your familiarity with Crowley, please elaborate, I am too lazy to dig through your posting history. If you are uncomfortable doing so I would understand. Just intersting to me. Pretty much nobody I have met in "real life" knows anything about him and it isn't really a topic that is easy to bring up in a casual conversation, if you know what I mean...

I am pretty certain most people are not familiar with him. The reason why I gave a brief history of who he was.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 02:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
Those fucks would set up tents on my campus too and bug the shit out of me. I assure you I share your disdain. And don't get all soft on me now, I hate the members just as much as the rest of it.

Eh, I like Beck too much to be mad at its membership. This might be the sole reason why I stated so to be honest...

Probable Muppet wrote:
That Muppet NIN cover is great. The only thing that might top that is maybe:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM

=)

Also, I'm glad Beck won the Grammy over Beyoncé, take that Kanye West, you ass...

Despite Beck's background with Scientology, he is still extremely talented and I have been a long time fan of his music.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 03:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Crowley is very famous/infamous with anyone who has an interest in that sort of thing or even not. I first heard about him when I was like 12, because I read Jimmy Page was obsessed with him and even bought his former mansion. He's not as underground as you'd expect.

Plus, harking back to a previous discussion in another thread, "Adam Crowley" from Nightmare Creatures is absolutely based on him, lol.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 03:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Crowley is very famous/infamous with anyone who has an interest in that sort of thing or even not. I first heard about him when I was like 12, because I read Jimmy Page was obsessed with him and even bought his former mansion. He's not as underground as you'd expect.

Plus, harking back to a previous discussion in another thread, "Adam Crowley" from Nightmare Creatures is absolutely based on him, lol.

Well in my personal experience people know little about him. Honestly, how many people do you know who are interested in talking about an occultist who goes by the monicker "The Beast 666"?
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 04:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Every nerdy, angsty teenager ever? lol

I'm just remarking that he's very well known, there are Facebook and Twitter pages dedicated to him, YouTube documentaries with millions of views about him, hundreds of books, etc.. In my personal life I probably know two real people that even know who he is, but all over the world and the internet proves to me he's relatively well known everywhere.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Every nerdy, angsty teenager ever? lol

I'm just remarking that he's very well known, there are Facebook and Twitter pages dedicated to him, YouTube documentaries with millions of views about him, hundreds of books, etc.. In my personal life I probably know two real people that even know who he is, but all over the world and the internet proves to me he's relatively well known everywhere.

I get your point, but the internet is the internet. =)

Guesstimate how many people walking down the street in some random city if approached (1/100) would know who he is let alone how many would know anything more than vague details.

Was curious, just checked the event schedule at the nearest O.T.O lodge to me. It is dominated by Anime event nights. I can only fathom the twinge and awkwardness that takes place in those rooms...
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 04:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why does that even matter? He's not some super obscure underground figure, is my point. He was on the cover of fucking Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band for christ's sake, The Song Remains the Same was filmed on his property, Ozzy Osbourne wrote a song about him, Timothy Leary has said he was "carrying on his work", you can find his quotes and posters on any random hipster college dorm room. He's one of those names that isn't household, but clearly millions of people know who he is all over the world.

Though I concede probably half of the people who are aware of him just know him as the vague and creepy occult guy from back in the day without knowing much about him.

Quote:
Was curious, Just checked the event schedule at the nearest O.T.O lodge nearest to me. It is dominated by Anime event nights. I can only fathom the twinge and awkwardness that takes place in those rooms...

Don't forget the smell. Oh God the smell...

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 04:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Why does that even matter? He's not some super obscure underground figure, is my point. He was on the cover of fucking Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band for christ's sake, The Song Remains the Same was filmed on his property, Ozzy Osbourne wrote a song about him, Timothy Leary has said he was "carrying on his work", you can find his quotes and posters on any random hipster college dorm room. He's one of those names that isn't household, but clearly millions of people know who he is all over the world.

Though I concede probably half of the people who are aware of him just know him as the vague and creepy occult guy from back in the day without knowing much about him.

FFS. I was just try to make the point as to why I gave a brief history of him. It doesn't really matter. Expect, you know, some people might not know...

And yes, the stench and the Magick of J-Pop.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 10 2015 04:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No I got ya, I just was getting this "there's this special guy that only I really know about!" vibe from your comments.

There was an anime con at a hotel I stayed at one time, it was literally the most disgusting thing I've ever smelt, heard or seen. Just so much body odor, shit covered toilets, running "kids" (these people were definitely in their twenties) and so many fedoras. Oh God the fedoras.

Reply to topic

Jump to: