"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Super Bowl XLIX

Reply to topic
Methid Man
Title: Spawn of Billy Mays
PostPosted: Feb 01 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was the closest Super Bowl I've ever seen... Seriously, that was a great game~
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 03:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Holy fucking shit! My heart was just pounding during that last two minutes! Though I understand the logic behind it (doing the unexpected perhaps?) I'm pissed they ran a passing play and got intercepted. God damn. We almost had it!

But I'm happy for Tom Brady. One more Lombardi to put him among the greats.

And holy shit, where did that Matthews guy come from???

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 09:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Meh. I am convinced that this game, like many other high profile professional sporting events, was staged. There is way too much money involved with advertising and they need to fix games like this so people don't lose interest. The NHL is the only one of the big four leagues where I have not seen some sort of TRULY unbelievable bullshit. That's just what happens when that amount of advertising and gambling revenue comes into play.

Don't get me wrong, it's still entertaining. I just don't give a damn who wins or loses anymore because most of this shit is planned out beforehand.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 08:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Meh. I am convinced that this game, like many other high profile professional sporting events, was staged. There is way too much money involved with advertising and they need to fix games like this so people don't lose interest. The NHL is the only one of the big four leagues where I have not seen some sort of TRULY unbelievable bullshit. That's just what happens when that amount of advertising and gambling revenue comes into play.

Don't get me wrong, it's still entertaining. I just don't give a damn who wins or loses anymore because most of this shit is planned out beforehand.

That's actually the first time I've ever heard that theory. I would expect myself to roll my eyes at it, but (as an ENORMOUS fan of actual competitive sports and of pro wrestling) ...it kind of rings uncomfortably true. I dunno. I can see a clutch play like this going badly; it's more thinking about all the weird and insane penalties and calls sometimes (and NO it's not just because I'm a super salty Cowboys diehard) that give me pause.

I wonder.

Honestly, it wouldn't change my enjoyment at all, though. I'd still wear my Cowboys gear just as proudly as I wear my Shawn Michaels t-shirts.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 09:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was a hell of game. So many big plays. And the brawl, oh, the brawl.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't expect a game between two teams I dislike to be so entertaining. Congrats to the Pats.

That brawl at the end was just stupid and insulting to the legitimacy of the game. Sore losers man.

Also, not enough funny commercials, and too many emotional and depressing ones.

First time I didn't have to use a vacation or sick day for work the next day because so much snow fell in the Chicago area the day of the Super Bowl that my office was closed.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 07:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

What's really dumb is that whichever Seahawk started the brawl erased any chance his team had of still winning. Without the yardage gain the Pats got from that penalty, the Seahawks could have potentially forced a safety, narrowing the gap to two points. Then the Patriots would have to kick, and the Seahawks would have had a chance for a field goal or touchdown.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ha, too true. I forgot how excited I was about how each team would react to the possibility of a safety occurring, and then some moron ruined the strategy of the whole thing with brute force.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I know about this Super Bowl is that it sounded like "ex licks" if you said the numerals out loud. I am excited that next year should be Super Bowl L, however.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:

I don't know, I think last year's Super Bowl kind of debunks that theory. It was terrible.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 06:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If it was fixed, the 49ers would have won Super Bowl XLVII.

Also, last year's Super Bowl was great... for people who dislike Peyton Manning.

I really don't believe it's fixed. There's no real point. It's a single game, which huge viewership regardless. I might be willing to believe refs intentionally influence games. The Packers beat the Cowboys in the playoffs this year on a controversial call, and let us never forget the infamous Tuck Rule Game.

However, I ABSOLUTELY believe NBA games are fixed, especially in the playoffs. You see so many bad and missed called by the refs in the NBA playoffs, and the popular theory is that is intentionally done to draw out every series to as many games as possible in order to maximize advertising revenue. It's a very plausible theory.
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
If it was fixed, the 49ers would have won Super Bowl XLVII.

Also, last year's Super Bowl was great... for people who dislike Peyton Manning.

I really don't believe it's fixed. There's no real point. It's a single game, which huge viewership regardless. I might be willing to believe refs intentionally influence games. The Packers beat the Cowboys in the playoffs this year on a controversial call, and let us never forget the infamous Tuck Rule Game.

However, I ABSOLUTELY believe NBA games are fixed, especially in the playoffs. You see so many bad and missed called by the refs in the NBA playoffs, and the popular theory is that is intentionally done to draw out every series to as many games as possible in order to maximize advertising revenue. It's a very plausible theory.

http://youtu.be/qjRcTiwVEwo

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 05 2015 04:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard a theory today that Pete Carroll was pressured from above to do a passing play instead of a running play, the reason being that a successful passing play would clinch Russell Wilson as the Super Bowl MVP, while a successful running play would clinch Marshawn Lynch as the Super Bowl MVP. From a PR standpoint, Wilson is the guy you'd want to be giving a free truck to, not Lynch.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 06 2015 02:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lol, that's just hilarious.
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Feb 20 2015 01:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First off, the super bowl was awesome to watch. As a Pats fan I completely expected to lose after that fucked up deflected, bouncing, ridiculous catch on the 4 yard line. And proceeded to lose my mind after Butler's pick.

And the pass not run theory Syd mentions, I think was more in concern of signing Lynch to a new contract this off season....if he is Super Bowl MVP, it kind of screws the Seahawks to pay him big money but if Wilson is the MVP, it takes a little of that pressure off.

As for pro sports being fixed, that's an unrealistic theory. I do agree that the NBA might possibly try like hell to sway some games with the officiating, especially since there is zero consistency in foul calls making it easy to get away with. But come on, just using that last drive by the Seahawks as an example....there is no way that could have been planned, there are way too many moving parts to ever make something like that work. Not to mention the NFL would never purposefully make their number one poster child a mockery come playoff time...Peyton pulled that off all by himself.
Reply to topic

Jump to: