"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Marijuana. Just legalize it FFS...

Reply to topic
Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 07:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm fine with it being purely for medical purposes, but nothing else. I have never met a single person who uses it recreationally that wasn't an annoying, irresponsible loser. Just like with alcohol or any other drug, excessive use of something to keep you in good spirits is indicative of more major issues that you need to deal with instead of drowning it in something.

I'm not saying that it doesn't help people who are in a very poor mental state. If it's been prescribed by your doctor or therapist, fine. But don't act like it's a totally cool thing for everyone. Just my two cents.
thenose_knows
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
I'm fine with it being purely for medical purposes, but nothing else. I have never met a single person who uses it recreationally that wasn't an annoying, irresponsible loser. Just like with alcohol or any other drug, excessive use of something to keep you in good spirits is indicative of more major issues that you need to deal with instead of drowning it in something.

I sympathize with this a lot. I went to a community college in Northern California for one and a half years, and stoners were the sole reason for me leaving there rickety tick. 28 years old, still living at home and trying to sell me their rap mixtape while on their 9th year of a 2-year degree. If I had never seen a pot leaf in my life, I'd assume it was a brand logo based on what you see out there. You'll see it on peoples' shirts, socks, pants, hats, etc. It's like a badge of honor. I also tried it my junior year of high school, and it put me to sleep, so I don't understand the fuss.

Reservations with the culture aside, I've seen it do great things for people. One of my political science professors told us about his late wife and how much marijuana helped her through chemo, and I think that's great. Also, who am I to legislate that people can't do what they want to just because I'm not into it? I abhor coffee and people who publicize their appreciation for it, but I'm not running to my county supervisor to put them behind bars.

Sure, they're annoying, but as far as I'm concerned, they're not hurting anyone (not sure about marijuana-related automobile deaths) so I tend to say live and let live. That's just my experience with it, anyway.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll agree that it does have legitimate medical uses, especially for people in such severe pain that more traditional painkillers aren't even remotely viable.

In that regard, it should be as legal as Vicodin. You can't just walk into a grocery store and buy Vicodin. Or Plutonium. Maybe in 1985 you can though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 09:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thenose_knows wrote:
Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:

I sympathize with this a lot. I went to a community college in Northern California for one and a half years, and stoners were the sole reason for me leaving there rickety tick. 28 years old, still living at home and trying to sell me their rap mixtape while on their 9th year of a 2-year degree. If I had never seen a pot leaf in my life, I'd assume it was a brand logo based on what you see out there. You'll see it on peoples' shirts, socks, pants, hats, etc. It's like a badge of honor. I also tried it my junior year of high school, and it put me to sleep, so I don't understand the fuss.

Reservations with the culture aside, I've seen it do great things for people. One of my political science professors told us about his late wife and how much marijuana helped her through chemo, and I think that's great. Also, who am I to legislate that people can't do what they want to just because I'm not into it? I abhor coffee and people who publicize their appreciation for it, but I'm not running to my county supervisor to put them behind bars.

Sure, they're annoying, but as far as I'm concerned, they're not hurting anyone (not sure about marijuana-related automobile deaths) so I tend to say live and let live. That's just my experience with it, anyway.

The difference between coffee and weed is the fact that coffee doesn't inhibit important brain functions. I can't justify the recreational use of something like that. At least, not intellectually. I do agree with live and let live. I also recognize that legalisation would bring in a lot of extra tax money. I suppose it comes down to: If it's legal, fine. If it's not, fine. I'll just stay out of it.

Also, welcome to the forums. I hope you stick around.
thenose_knows
PostPosted: Feb 02 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:

The difference between coffee and weed is the fact that coffee doesn't inhibit important brain functions. I can't justify the recreational use of something like that. At least, not intellectually. I do agree with live and let live. I also recognize that legalisation would bring in a lot of extra tax money. I suppose it comes down to: If it's legal, fine. If it's not, fine. I'll just stay out of it.

Also, welcome to the forums. I hope you stick around.

I understand. Certainly, I think action should be taken against people who show up to work or class high, official or unofficial. I've found that strangers who are high in public are only slightly more annoying to me than their sober counterparts, but I still think it should be discouraged. I have this friend in the design school who thinks it's endearing that he forgets everything he told you yesterday because he was "probably stoned, lol". I can only hope the craze from "Workaholics" dies down soon. The whole don't-give-a-shit, menace-to-society, everything's-cool-man attitude got old pretty much right out of the gate.

Thanks for the welcome, man, everyone's been real nice. I definitely plan on it. Cheers.
Ash Burton
Title: AshRaiser
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 09:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:

So alcohol should only be prescription? Plenty of hard working, educated and driven people would smoke marijuana, but perhaps fear judgement so they do it in secret. Anyone who boasts about taking an illegal drug would fit your description but that doesn't mean that by smoking marijuana you would become that.

Aside from all of this, the legalization of marijuana would absolutely cripple the Mexican drug cartels. Its marijuana that funds the import of the more serious drugs into the US. I don't smoke marijuana, but I know a lot of vets who use it for stress management and I did use it for a month to quit a more evil and legal drug, smokeless tobacco.

joshwoodzy wrote:
Ash is probably just home humping his SNES collection.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't say you would become anything. I was talking specifically about people who use it freely, claiming it has nothing but positive effects, without consulting a professional physician. Especially people who use it for things like anxiety and depression, again, without consulting a physician. And comparing it to alcohol - an addictive, harmful substance with no true long-term benefit at all - only hurts your own argument. I get that you weren't claiming them to be the same, but don't drag down your argument by getting that involved.

And Mexican cartels are so deeply rooted in the highest positions of government of Mexico that I'm unsure of weather or not legalisation would have any real effect on the cartels themselves.

I would like to add to this that I don't believe marijuana possession should be punishable with jail time. That is a gross misuse of money and resources.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, my gripes with pot pretty much starts and ends with the goofy culture attached. There should be absolutely no jail time associated with marijuana use or possession. However, it should be regulated tightly and you should NOT be able to drive under the influence. So all of you idiot stoners who says "But like, it makes driving better and I'm TOTALLY a better driver while stoned" can go ahead and eat dog shit.

GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am all for it as long as they can bring Macho Man back to life.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Yeah, my gripes with pot pretty much starts and ends with the goofy culture attached. There should be absolutely no jail time associated with marijuana use or possession. However, it should be regulated tightly and you should NOT be able to drive under the influence. So all of you idiot stoners who says "But like, it makes driving better and I'm TOTALLY a better driver while stoned" can go ahead and eat dog shit.

Total truth. I always wait at least three hours after I've smoked because white-knuckling it down the road at 35 MPH is a pain in the dick. If I get hungry, places deliver. No need for me to risk driving around.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 03:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ash Burton wrote:
Aside from all of this, the legalization of marijuana would absolutely cripple the Mexican drug cartels. Its marijuana that funds the import of the more serious drugs into the US.

Mexican drug cartels would not be crippled at all if Marijuana was legalized. Most of their money is made in human trafficking, sex trafficking and the smuggling of cocaine and heroin. Many of the cartels are also into real estate and construction. You would have to hunt down and kill most of them to change anything.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 04:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your brain is fragile and needs to be protected. That's all I'm saying. I can't understand why people would use any drug so freely without good reason. Then again, I'm not a drinker either. I'm not going to stand in its way if people want it so badly. Their bodies, I suppose. Just don't really agree with it.
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 07:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
Your brain is fragile and needs to be protected. That's all I'm saying.

Mmm, this argument doesn't work, if only because I've heard the exact same argument used to explain why people shouldn't take medication for things like anxiety and depression, and that argument doesn't work either. A lot of people do smoke marijuana for those exact reasons, at that.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 07:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
Your brain is fragile and needs to be protected. That's all I'm saying.

Mmm, this argument doesn't work, if only because I've heard the exact same argument used to explain why people shouldn't take medication for things like anxiety and depression, and that argument doesn't work either. A lot of people do smoke marijuana for those exact reasons, at that.

Yup...

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-medical-marijuana/2013/10/5-amazing-things-you-didnt-know-about-marijuana/

Quote:
It's no coincidence that marijuana legalization support has surged with the growth of social media. The voices of the Reefer Madness era are silenced daily as studies and testimonials continue pouring in about this often misunderstood plant. Ignorance still remains, however, and this fight won't be won without continued education of the masses.

It takes one fact that hits home to sway someone's opinion. Maybe one of the following will do that for you. Here are five things about marijuana you may not have known:

1. THC and CBD, marijuana's primary cannabinoids, are both cancer killers.

No, I'm not talking about using marijuana to help manage cancer's effects. It's actually anti-cancer.

Recent research out of Spain suggests that THC, marijuana's psychoactive ingredient, kills brain cancer cells. Study co-author Guillermo Velasco claims that when THC was applied to cancerous brain tissue, the cancer cells were killed while healthy cells were left alone.

CBD apparently does the same; a pair of scientists from California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco demonstrated the cannabinoid's ability to stop metastasis in many kinds of aggressive cancer.

Imagine if this plant were discovered in a jungle two weeks ago. What would the news be saying? The CBD article goes as far as to say the breakthrough could "potentially alter the fatality of the disease forever." The lack of media coverage for this is astounding, but that doesn't diminish the research.

2. Marijuana triggers neurogenesis. Layman's terms: It leads to brain cell growth.

Wait....marijuana is supposed to kill brain cells, right?

Wrong.

The roots of the marijuana-kills-brain-cells myth are deep despite the lack of credible evidence. The original study supporting this notion is questionable at best and recent research suggests exactly the opposite.

In 2005, a study showed cannabinoids' ability to promote neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus, the brain region responsible for many important brain functions including mood and memory. The authors also cited anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects that accompany the neurogenesis. This explains why people across California, Colorado, Washington and other marijuana-friendly states often turn to the herb for a mood-boost instead of pharmaceutical drugs. It also supports research that marijuana helps improve cognitive function in bipolar disorder patients. This brings us to our next fact....

3. Suicide rates are lower in areas where medical marijuana is available.

A Denver state-level study analyzed the statistical trend of suicide after introduction of medical marijuana.

From the study:

"Our results suggest that the passage of a medical marijuana law is associated with an almost 5% reduction in total suicide rate, an 11% reduction in the suicide rate of age 20-29 males, and a 9% reduction in the suicide rate of 30-39 males."

It's interesting this hasn't become mainstream data in a country so focused on suicide prevention. Not surprisingly, one of the main reasons cited by the study's authors for the decrease was connected to the at-risk population (20 and 30-something males) replacing alcohol with marijuana. This data makes the strictness of Illinois' new medical marijuana policy even more laughable.

"Don't let usage get out of control! Less people might commit suicide!"

Speaking of marijuana's effects on well-being, I highly recommend this very personal, heart-wrenching article.

But what about the physical effects?

4. There is zero evidence that marijuana causes significant lung damage.

While vaporization is always touted as the safest method of marijuana ingestion, the largest study of its kind suggested marijuana-only smoking is harmless as well:

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use. What we found instead was no association at all, and even some suggestion of a protective effect."

The above words come from UCLA Medical Doctor Donald Tashkin, author of the study and marijuana researcher of more than 30 years.

Considering the tar in marijuana smoke was found to contain as many harmful carcinogens as cigarette smoke, this study actually strengthens the notion that marijuana is anti-cancer. The plant itself seems to have an offsetting effect for the harmful properties of smoke.

5. There are two completely different types of marijuana, both with different effects on the user.

One of the biggest mistakes made by people who first try marijuana is immediately thinking that it's "not for them." It certainly isn't for everyone, but what if they just tried the wrong kind?

There are hundreds of different strains of marijuana, tagged with names like Blue Dream, OG Kush, Trainwreck or Pineapple. All of these are categorized as "Sativa" or "Indica." Here's a simple-as-possible explanation on the difference:

Sativas are usually day-time strains, used to enhance the experience of social events, time in nature or listening to new music. Caregivers often recommend sativa strains for patients seeking relief from depression, PTSD, fatigue and some types of anxiety and pain. Some patients even report positive effects on ADHD while medicating with sativa strains. Although sativas produce an enjoyable effect, they usually are the culprit for an inexperienced user "tweaking out" during one of their first times smoking.

Indicas are often smoked at night due to their narcotic effect on the user. Indica strains are perfect for users suffering from any type of pain, nausea or anxiety. They're also preferable for novice users as they acclimate themselves to the herb. This variety is popular for meditation or yoga due to its mind-calming qualities.

Here is a more extensive explanation on the two categories if you're interested.

Marijuana isn't for everyone. Nothing is for everyone.

But should we be throwing those it is for in cages?

I dare you to say yes.

Follow me on Twitter @JackGiddingson
Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 08:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Considering that my argument isn't against the use of marijuana to treat depression, but FREE use of marijuana, it does work. Marijuana use for minor depression and anxiety can help. In more series cases it can actually worsen the symptoms. It can also trigger psychosis; especially for someone with a family history. This is especially true because dosage of weed is rarely well controlled by someone using it on their own. Of course, all medications have some side effects. Some of them can be severe. Nothing is perfect, and nothing works for everyone. To learn what's best for you: CONSULT YOUR FUCKING DOCTOR.

And you'll have to forgive me, Muppet, if I don't take something seriously when it's that one sided, as well as featured on a website with a giant pot leaf next to the header. There are a staggering amount of conflicting "20 Reasons Why _____ Is Actually Good For You!" on the internet.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
CONSULT YOUR FUCKING DOCTOR.

Sure...

First off 99% of the time when you visit a doctor they quite literally are as ignorant as some 3rd world witch doctor or shaman when it comes to diagnosing anything outside of a broken limb or sticking you in an MRI. It's the truth. They will prescribe you medication/stick you on some pill (with very dangerous side effects) and send you on your way as fast as they can so as to move right on to their next patient and do the same. These drugs are far more dangerous than pot.

Having personal experience with this (see my above posts) and have a mother who happens to be a doctor I cannot stress enough how true this is. There is no such thing as an adult on this planet, doctors included. It is what it is but the argument of consulting a doctor for procuring weed is a not valid.

Also, it is crazy if you think weed can induce psychosis, this is just ignorant.

As the above article stated weed is not for everyone but really?

Utah is a great example of indoctrination and ignorance (quite literally caused by Mormonism, but that's another topic). However, Utah has the highest suicide rate, mental illness diagnosis rate and prescription drug abuse rate per capita in the country.

Weed will be legal very soon at state levels; in the same way more and more states are legalizing gay marriage. It is time for a sea change and it is coming. Utah will be the last to legalize either (if ever) and they are welcome to kill themselves off via suicide, RX drug abuse and will continue to drown in their ignorance until they wake the fuck up.

Edit: as for the article being one sided, perhaps the pot leaf might have something to do with it being about pot? Apparently this world is painted black and white...
Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, studies suggest that it can induce psychosis, such as paranoid thoughts and even schizophrenia, in people already in deep depression, especially if they have a family history.

The whole discussion of the relationship between this country's doctors and pharmaceutical companies is a long and complex one; I'd rather not get into that one right now. But just because you can't trust everyone, that doesn't mean you can't trust 99 percent of them.

And before you condemn me an ignorant, crazy man; take a look at the stuff you just posted. I think you'll find that I, a man trying to understand all parties by reading as much material on the subject he can find, am quite sane.

The world isn't so black and white. That is precisely what I have been saying this entire time.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 09:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
Yes, studies suggest that it can induce psychosis, such as paranoid thoughts and even schizophrenia, in people already in deep depression, especially if they have a family history.

The whole discussion of the relationship between this country's doctors and pharmaceutical companies is a long and complex one; I'd rather not get into that one right now. But just because you can't trust everyone, that doesn't mean you can't trust 99 percent of them.

And before you condemn me an ignorant, crazy man; take a look at the stuff you just posted. I think you'll find that I, a man trying to understand all parties by reading as much material on the subject he can find, am quite sane.

Not trying to condemn you as an ignorant or a crazy man. We obviously disagree on this subject, whatever. Point I am trying to make is that it seems that your arguments are quite black and white considering the facts.

And shit man this is the internet, don't take it personally. I'm just sort of passionate on this subject. No hard feelings. =)

As for the matter of psychosis I still disagree. Sure if a schizophrenic takes anything mind altering it can induce psychosis (however it does not cause schizophrenia)' RX drugs more so (even nicotine matter of fact). These individuals are already paranoid but there is a huge difference between paranoid and psychotic/psychosis (usually induced by stimulates in people with this disorder or even people on the autistic spectrum, not so much with depression).
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 09:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing wrong with Bob Dylan's desire for transparent information wherever it can be found. Though it is also true that not all doctors are of equal, adequate skill.

I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject. Never tried it, don't plan on it, jail time needs to be significantly reduced, will be interesting to see how things change in the next decade.
Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not really taking it personally, but it is frustrating having to repeat and further clarify most of this stuff. Sorry if I got a bit bitey close to the end there, though.

We don't know anything for sure. That is why we read. And we try to accept and understand what we have read to the best of our ability. That's all I'm trying to do.

And, again, I'm not saying marijuana is bad all the time. I'm saying that everything becomes bad for us at some point. I'm more comfortable waiting for clearer, more widely accepted results before we make a final decision.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 02:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
I'm fine with it being purely for medical purposes, but nothing else. I have never met a single person who uses it recreationally that wasn't an annoying, irresponsible loser.

I take exception to that. I am a father of three, work 45 hours a week in a career (Not just a McJob) doing something I love. I make decent money. I live in a house. I pay my taxes, own two cars free and clear, and have no criminal record. I also like to smoke the green. I will smoke a bowl on Friday/Saturday nights after the kids are down, and I am ready to relax on the couch and play some games or watch movies with my wife. I find it preferable to alcohol, as I personally have lost my taste for it due to dealing with too many alcoholic friends in my younger days.

I'm am sorry if you find me annoying, but I really don't think I am in any way shape or form, an "irresponsible loser."
aeonic
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 03:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
I'm fine with it being purely for medical purposes, but nothing else. I have never met a single person who uses it recreationally that wasn't an annoying, irresponsible loser.

I take exception to that. I am a father of three, work 45 hours a week in a career (Not just a McJob) doing something I love. I make decent money. I live in house. I pay my taxes, own two cars free and clear, and have no criminal record. I also like to smoke the green. I will smoke a bowl on Friday/Saturday nights after the kids are down, and I am ready to relax on the couch and play some games or watch movies with my wife. I find it preferable to alcohol, as I personally I have lost my taste for it due to dealing with too many alcoholic friends in my younger days.

I'm am sorry if you find me annoying, but I really don't think I am in any way shape or form, an "irresponsible loser."

And there you have it, right there. I run an educational toy store AND do at least 40 hours of school work a week per class (my classes are accelerated to the point where I have one or two per month). I also care for my aging mother, my sick wife, and in the summertime, watch my nephew while his Dad works. There's plenty of people who act like the guy with the green hair and the pot shirt, but there's just as many, if not more, who behave like perfectly responsible adults and get their shit done. As for drinking, I've found myself getting horrendously sick from even beer recently, so it's not really an option.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 03:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Knyte wrote:
Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:

I take exception to that. I am a father of three, work 45 hours a week in a career (Not just a McJob) doing something I love. I make decent money. I live in house. I pay my taxes, own two cars free and clear, and have no criminal record. I also like to smoke the green. I will smoke a bowl on Friday/Saturday nights after the kids are down, and I am ready to relax on the couch and play some games or watch movies with my wife. I find it preferable to alcohol, as I personally I have lost my taste for it due to dealing with too many alcoholic friends in my younger days.

And there you have it, right there. I run an educational toy store AND do at least 40 hours of school work a week per class (my classes are accelerated to the point where I have one or two per month). I also care for my aging mother, my sick wife, and in the summertime, watch my nephew while his Dad works. There's plenty of people who act like the guy with the green hair and the pot shirt, but there's just as many, if not more, who behave like perfectly responsible adults and get their shit done. As for drinking, I've found myself getting horrendously sick from even beer recently, so it's not really an option.

Exactly. Just like a successful Doctor or Business man may go home and enjoy a glass of wine, there are other who instead enjoy a hit off the bong. The key words are responsibility and moderation.
Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've actually felt bad about writing that since pretty much right after I posted it. It's not an intelligent thing to say all. I'm very sorry for insulting you.

My overzealous reaction on this topic comes from being burned by people who claim to be "one of the good ones". Including my uncle and a couple of best friends. No excuses for a pretty exaggerated claim like that though.
aeonic
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 01:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't feel bad. Not all slicks are wicks, and not all wicks are glicks, but there's still some slicks out there making the rest look bad. Same shit happens when you've got some sloshed frat boy passing out in the street covered in piss and you compare them to a doctor that likes a glass of scotch after their shift. No matter what the substance is, there's always someone who's the worst-case-scenario example. Shit, I've met functional crackheads, which is super scary to think about.

Reply to topic

Jump to: