SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Reply to topic
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 30 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Metroid Prime Trilogy, a collection of all 3 Prime games for the wii, with the first two given the motion controls of Metroid Prime 3, has just been released on the Wii U eShop for $10. Which is bananas, because the original wii disc is incredibly rare.

My question is, should I get this? I own the first Metroid Prime game, and I've never finished it. I always beat the first boss, get too busy to play it for several months, and then start over, or put off starting over for a year or two. But I want to beat this game, and as soon as I get around to dedicating myself, I'm sure I'll absolutely love it.

Never played two or three. How do they stack up. Are they as well loved? If not, why?

Are the motion controls worthwhile? Should I play the first prime with new controls, or stick to the one I have?
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 30 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

The first Prime is a classic, and definitely worth the playthrough. The second one is good, but can get a bit tedious at times. The third one is amazing with the motion controls. I have not played the first two with motion controls but if they are set up the same as 3 control wise it would only makes those games better. All of these games are very solid and have great atmospheres and tight controls, a decent storyline and hold up quite well as the years go on.

For 10 bucks you cannot go wrong here. I highly recommend you buy.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jan 30 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hated how in the third game, there were literally prompts to press A to finish a whole level by resolving what was infesting it. That took me out of the whole experience.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 30 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is it universally accepted wisdom that the wii play controls are better? Or is there a decent contingent that thinks the original is the best?
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 30 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have all three games by themselves. The second one is my favorite. The third is my least favorite (though still good). I much preferred the Gamecube controls to the Wii controls so I never bought the trilogy because I didn't want to play the others that way. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, but I usually hate Wii controls for anything.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jan 30 2015 05:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For anyone considering purchasing this game, you need a Wii Remote and Nunchuk, the Wii U Gamepad is not supported.

I completed the first two and highly recommend them! $10 is a steal for those two alone. If you play either, I highly recommend taking your time and reading/scanning anything that looks important. It might take longer to complete the games but it will enhance your immersion.

The first is the most popular and I agree with its acclaim. It's a pretty enjoyable experience throughout, the atmospheres are typical video game fare (ruins, lava land, ice land, etc) but are well-designed and interesting, the music is fantastic, and the difficulty is fair. My understanding is something most people enjoy about the Metroid games is just being dumped on a foreign world with relatively little direction/plot; you're left to figure things out on your own. This is what you'll get with the first game. It will offer hints on where to go next, but this can be disabled at your preference. There is a general plot, but it's not shoved in your face; you'll need to gradually locate/read scans to pick up on it. As someone who personally didn't have much Metroid experience before playing this game (the only other one I had played was Metroid II on the Game Boy), the underlying concept of "figure shit out, kid" really immersed me. If you know someone that played the first game, you're nearing a 99% chance that they liked it. Go with the flow on this one.

The second game is also outstanding, but was more heavily criticized. My own take is that it's as good as the first. I think most others have a lesser opinion, though. I hope my monster wall of text doesn't scare you off, because I truly recommend playing the game if you enjoy the first one.
    My primary complaint is that the entire plot, which is summarized as "this dark world sucks, help us get rid of it," is presented within the first hour of the game. I personally wasn't thrilled with that since it really kills the intrigue of unraveling things for yourself, and the tension never really increases throughout the game. The overall task that you are assigned is to go to the dark world of various locations, collect the keys, and return them to the light world. This never really changes; so at times it feels like a take on Legends of the Hidden Temple that just doesn't feel as exciting/intense as it should be.

Another concern is the pacing. The first game introduces the different environments relatively quickly. It doesn't expect you to explore the entirety of each environment upon your first arrival. You'll need to leave environment A to explore environment B for awhile; but the game will eventually steer you back to environment A two or three times later in the game for new powerups/routes. So you get the benefit of sensation of exploration, and avoid the feeling of being stuck in the same place too long. The second game doesn't really work like this. There's three main "dungeon" environments and when you first enter them, you're going to be committed for a lengthy amount of time, as (if memory serves) they have all the powerups you need to find the keys. The game will present roadblocks in environment A that can only be accessed after acquiring an environment B powerup; but (if memory serves) it's almost always tied to a non-mandatory powerup, like a missile expansion. Your tastes may vary but I think this presentation turned some people off.

That said, I personally enjoyed all of the game's environments. They're still artistically crafted quite well, and I'd say Retro Studios distinguished the light and dark worlds to a remarkable degree. I'd like to hype up the third "dungeon" environment. You'll get there at about the halfway mark but it's a very interesting experience.

I also enjoyed the second game's difficulty. At least, this is assuming the Gamecube and Wii versions' difficulties are identical. The first game's difficulty is fair, but the non-boss encounters don't often present much of a threat, so much of the weight is left to the bosses. The second game has some non-boss encounters that, while fair to fight against, can wreck your shit pretty quickly. There's also some bosses that are considered to be huge difficulty spikes, but are still presented in an interesting and challenging manner. Let me just tell you now that Boost Guardian was something developed to emasculate video gamers for a good hour. It got my jimmies rustled when I first played it, but in retrospect the victory was very satisfying and I'm sort of glad the boss was so ridonkulous.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 31 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice write-up, Preng. Thanks a lot for the input.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Jan 31 2015 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

First off I'm a little pissed that these games are now available for ten dollars online. I spent a considerable amount to buy both an opened and NIB copy of the game. Hopefully these don't go down in value now. =)

Also I really prefer the original controls . I was never really a fan of the wii control/nunchuck in the first place. I don't know maybe I am lazy but sometimes I tend to go on marathon gaming binges and the wii mote makes this hard as it is sort of stressing on you hands and arms.

It's not like I am out or shape or anything ; I'm 6 foot 5 at 186lbs and generally in good shape minus not eating much and smoking like a pirate but I recently started skateboarding again too.

Bit of a tangent but shit skateboarding is not as they say "Like riding a bike". I had a pro board built for about 170 dollars and had no idea what I was getting myself into. The thing goes to like 60mph in under 3 seconds lol and it is incredibly hard to keep your balance due to the bearings. Whatever, I'm getting better at it but anyways..

What I mean to say is when I sit down to play a game I want to relax and be lazy. To me the Wii control/nunchuck is more exercise and gets tiring or stressful when I am on one of those marathon gaming binges. My arms feel like Strech Armstrong on Xanax after a couple of hours. So yes, I prefer the GameCube controls...

However, still one of the best trilogies of all time for sure.
LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Jan 31 2015 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are some minor differences between the Trilogy and the original versions.

Samus' arm cannon doesn't have the sweet ice/lava graphical effects in the Wii release of Prime because they would've had to create entirely new models due to the Wii release allowing the arm-cannon an extended range of motion due to the wiimote controls.

The boost guardian was toned down for the Wii rerelease of Echoes, now he's merely challenging (and as somebody who fought him on Gamecube originally this is appreciated.)

The swearing was censored in Corruption for some weird reason.

And there's now an achievement system that spans all three games.

None of this makes the games worse though.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: