"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Old TVs (Do you miss em'?)

Reply to topic
Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Dec 29 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I sure do miss those old TV sets. You know, the ones that weighed like 100 lbs that we had in the late 80's? I would like to buy an old 80's TV and hook up a Sega Genesis to it and just lock myself away in a room playing Mortal Kombat for a few weeks straight, trying out all the codes like D-U-L-L-A-R-D and others! (abacabb???)

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 01:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

oh god no. those CRT TVs are way too big for my tiny ass apartment. and such a pain to lug around as well cuz they were so bulky & HEAVY.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 03:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't miss them. I still have one.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 06:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I will always own a CRT, so that I can play Duck Hunt properly. I wish I owned a better one than what I own currently though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 09:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a large tube HDTV in addition to my LED that I use mostly for classic gaming. It combines the best of old school bulkiness and new high definition crispiness.

I do miss my old NEC tube though. I blew it up when it finally died.

krislexia
Title: Now with a hint of lime
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I will always own a CRT, so that I can play Duck Hunt properly. I wish I owned a better one than what I own currently though.

I was seriously just about to say how not fun Duck Hunt is on a flatscreen. Cathode ray tubes? More like cathode RAD tubes Smile
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 07:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I was a kid in the 90s, I had a CRT in my bedroom to play games on. Don't remember much about it, but I wasn't allow to watch TV shows with it. I had to go to the living room with family. In the 2000s we tossed it out and replaced it with a new one for some reason, although I was scolded for coloring on the old one with a black marker. Then that TV eventually burned out a few years ago. I replaced it with another CRT that eventually burned out. I'm tired of these things having screen problems, but now that I have an HDTV, I'd rather use that because the screen doesn't fuck up and is much bigger. My older consoles don't have the correct cables to plug into the HDTV, so I'll buy some HDMI cables that are compatible with those. I bought a cable to connect my original Xbox to my HDTV via 5 colored plugins in the back, but the color is dark and completely off.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not particularly. My current CRT TV is dying and now I can't see my or enemies' health bars when I play Skyrim on it. Other than the fact that I'd have to buy newer video cords for my older consoles to play them on my HDTV, I prefer newer TVs in pretty much every conceivable way.

Count_Akula
PostPosted: Dec 30 2014 09:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I kinda liked the color issues for the old games. I remember playing Sonic 1 on an old piece of shit 200 lb TV my Dad used to have. The volume button was gone and he just stuck a pen tube on there to fix it LOL! The colors were all fucked up but the sound was really bassy and cool as hell. I guess I just love weird old shit that wasn't HD. I don't play many newer games.
Vaporman87
Title: Purveyor of Nostalgia
PostPosted: Jan 07 2015 03:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I do miss a specific kind of tube tv... the console tv. Loved having a giant 32" television with 150 pounds of fake wood swallowing it whole. Man I want one now.

Count_Akula
PostPosted: Jan 07 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Vaporman87 wrote:
I do miss a specific kind of tube tv... the console tv. Loved having a giant 32" television with 150 pounds of fake wood swallowing it whole. Man I want one now.

Dude, last year, before I moved to Taiwan, I was asked to manage this hotel in Maine for a month and a half that was like... stuck in the 80's or something. It was fucking awesome though, HUGE lobby with old arcade games (Robocop and some other ones, too bad they didn't have NARC, I loved that shit) and in the "nicer" rooms on the 3rd floor, they had those BIG WOOD GRAIN TV's!! I had a big apt to live in behind the front desk while I was there managing it but I would go up to the 3rd floor rooms at night and just drink and watch those old TV's and smoke cigs like a champ! It was a really fun experience actually, not too busy, only got like 3 rooms a night, sometimes none. I had this giant hotel all to myself. There was a restaurant across the street too that sold like buy-one-get-one pizzas, and it was only like 12 bucks for 2! Millinocket Maine y'all! Good times... I think it was called Khatadin Inn. If you ever go there, try and beat my Robocop score! Just kidding, I suck at that game HAHA!
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 08 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

For watching TV, HD is better. But those box TVs are the best for retro gaming. Seriously, give me an old CRT any day to play some old school games. Plus, the box TVs have a certain charm to them.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 08 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd also like to point out that plugging in things (specifically consoles) into CRT TVs is a pain in the ass, especially when you own multiple consoles and have to turn it 90 degrees every time you want to switch one. I will say, though, that those newer CRT TVs with the video ports in the front of the TV are a godsend.

Vaporman87
PostPosted: Jan 08 2015 01:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Count_Akula wrote:
Vaporman87 wrote:

Dude, last year, before I moved to Taiwan, I was asked to manage this hotel in Maine for a month and a half that was like... stuck in the 80's or something. It was fucking awesome though, HUGE lobby with old arcade games (Robocop and some other ones, too bad they didn't have NARC, I loved that shit) and in the "nicer" rooms on the 3rd floor, they had those BIG WOOD GRAIN TV's!! I had a big apt to live in behind the front desk while I was there managing it but I would go up to the 3rd floor rooms at night and just drink and watch those old TV's and smoke cigs like a champ! It was a really fun experience actually, not too busy, only got like 3 rooms a night, sometimes none. I had this giant hotel all to myself. There was a restaurant across the street too that sold like buy-one-get-one pizzas, and it was only like 12 bucks for 2! Millinocket Maine y'all! Good times... I think it was called Khatadin Inn. If you ever go there, try and beat my Robocop score! Just kidding, I suck at that game HAHA!

That sounds like an awesome experience. That you were only there a brief time makes it far more fun and memorable. Like stepping back in time for just a while, then returning to normal life. LOL.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jan 13 2015 05:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
I'd also like to point out that plugging in things (specifically consoles) into CRT TVs is a pain in the ass, especially when you own multiple consoles and have to turn it 90 degrees every time you want to switch one. I will say, though, that those newer CRT TVs with the video ports in the front of the TV are a godsend.

That's why AV switches are your friend. You only have to plugs things into the back of the TV once.

I wouldn't mind finding an old color TV that has the antenna screws on the back, so I can play my old Atari and Intellivision in their original glory.
Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 13 2015 08:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Cameron wrote:

That's why AV switches are your friend. You only have to plugs things into the back of the TV once.

I wouldn't mind finding an old color TV that has the antenna screws on the back, so I can play my old Atari and Intellivision in their original glory.

Do you know of a good brand of AV switches? All of my friends who've had them have varying experiences with them, all of which include either bad picture quality or an obnoxiously loud buzzing noise when they're plugged in.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jan 14 2015 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Knyte wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Do you know of a good brand of AV switches? All of my friends who've had them have varying experiences with them, all of which include either bad picture quality or an obnoxiously loud buzzing noise when they're plugged in.

I personally own this one:
http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28750-Composite-Selector/dp/B0032ANC8M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421212460&sr=8-5&keywords=av+switch
Never had an issue with it. It is non-powered, so maybe that's why there is no interference? I also like that it has the front input as well, so you can quick hookup things if need be. Like, if I decide to dig out my NES or Genesis, I can just quick connect to the front, and not have to dig in the wire nest that is the back of my bedroom's entertainment center.
Methid Man
Title: Spawn of Billy Mays
PostPosted: Jan 14 2015 03:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ever since flatscreen TV's became the wave of the future, I never saw any reason to look back on cathode ray tube TV's. I may be a retro aficionado for a lot of things, but this just isn't one of them. Flatscreens have enough advantages over tubes that I'm not willing to fork over just so I can play Duck Hunt.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jan 15 2015 01:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Best of both worlds:

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 15 2015 03:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That looks beautiful, whatever it is.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jan 15 2015 09:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's a retro style LCD TV. With working knobs!
Vaporman87
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 01:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I like it. Still, a giant 35" console version would soooooo much better. Smile

Count_Akula
PostPosted: Feb 03 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FUCK HD!!!!!!!! I just downloaded and watched The Goonies movie, and the quality was GREAT. I haven't seen it in years and I fucking hated it. I miss watching it on an old VHS tape on a shitty 80's TV. WTF?!? HD sucks ass and licks shit! AAARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Mar 07 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Best TV ever, built in NES

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Mar 07 2015 01:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a couple of CRT tv's that have a flatter glass screen but it's still a tube. I will probably try and always have one as I still find NES and SNES games to look better on them than on my HDTV's. For newer consoles like my xbox 360 I do not miss using a CRT tv in the slightest. I played my xbox 360 on CRT tv's and always found it very hard to read text, and games like Fallout 3 seemed 'flat' at times. When I finally got my own HDTV, I was quite happy with the difference in picture quality for my xbox 360 games.

I also like CRT tv's for lower quality dvd's. I prefer how my Mystery Science Theatre DVD's look on my old tv's versus my HD tv.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Reply to topic

Jump to: