"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Terrifying/Disturbing Shit In Non-Horror Video Games

Reply to topic
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 06:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

This fucking death animation from Super Mario 64 immediately comes to mind. Also, can you add a YouTube tag, Syd? I'm pretty sure YouTube got rid of the option to use the old embed code.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 07:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. That is a really harsh thing to watch, especially in a cartoony game like Super Mario 64. I'm also suprised how spooky and manacing most of the backgrounds are, and some of the music too.

My vote goes to Majora's Mask though, not only can you see the moon with the spooky face no matter where you go, you constantly have to see people grieve because they know they will die in 3 days.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The well in Ocarina of Time, the Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time, the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time, and the castle guard in the slumped over in the back alley who dies trying to tell you about Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that Ocarina of Time is actually a horror game masquerading as action/adventure.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 07:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Faxanadu is mostly an upbeat action adventure game but holy fuck when you go in the trees and fight the demon things and the atmosphere gets darker and it plays creepy music...holy shit, my 8 year old self was inconsolable.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 08:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
The well in Ocarina of Time, the Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time, the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time, and the castle guard in the slumped over in the back alley who dies trying to tell you about Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that Ocarina of Time is actually a horror game masquerading as action/adventure.

You forgot about the redeads (zombies) too, scared the shit out of me as a kid. They would let out a high pitch scream as they froze you, jumped on your body, then started attacking.
Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anju's grandmother from the N64 Zeldas always gave me the creeps. Her weird head and tiny white pupils staring at you.

And let's not forget this
DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 16 2014 06:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I blame the fact that the N64 could only produce so many polygons. I don't remember any characters from Zelda games on the later consoles looking like this.

He knows your algorithm.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 16 2014 01:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, man. The Dead Hands from Ocarina of Time and the last stretch of time in Majora's Mask still give me the creeps.

I remember distinctly the first occasion that I ran out of time in Majora's Mask, actually. I threw my controller down and cried really hard because I fucked up and got a lot of people killed.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 16 2014 08:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't remember letting everybody after the first day die, I think I only did that once, but I do remember the scenes when you first get turned into a Deku, and the time you go back to being a human, both horrifying. Thanks Nintendo for putting scary shit in this game.

I do remember being a kid and getting creeped out at the hands on Zelda 1 for NES.

He knows your algorithm.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Dec 16 2014 08:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The putting on of the transformation masks is horrifying. Hearing Link screaming in pain every time is genuinely pretty disturbing.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Dec 16 2014 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Once, when I was playing Mega Man Legends, I was coming out of a corridor in the ruins when a bipedal Reaverbot came running at me. I screamed for a few seconds, pausing as I went. IIRC, it took me 15 minutes to work up the nerve to unpause and take the bastard down.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 16 2014 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Faxanadu is mostly an upbeat action adventure game but holy fuck when you go in the trees and fight the demon things and the atmosphere gets darker and it plays creepy music...holy shit, my 8 year old self was inconsolable.

Faxandu is fairly creepy from start to finish.

Even at the beginning, everything is pretty desolate. Lots of barren, earthy tones. And all the enemy designs in that game. Jesus Christ. Yeah, it gets ten times worse when you go INSIDE THE TREE and there's the meteor fog, but it's still creepy before that.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 17 2014 01:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

friday the 13th on the NES used to terrify me when it turned to night. but i guess its meant to do so since it is a horror game.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Dec 17 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Smash Brothers in general is pretty creepy when you actually think about it. A bunch of fighters continuously killing each other for the entertainment of Master Hand and the unseen audience. They shriek in pain when knocked out. They even scream in fear when they're launched in to the background. So they are definitely feeling the pain. Even if it's just in the head of some kid playing with toys, he's a little fucked up.
koakuma
PostPosted: Dec 17 2014 02:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Scary TV levels in Gex 2.
Especially the "step into the light" skull ghosts which were really scaring me. They were chasing you whenever you got near them.
And then I tried killing them and realized they were invincible, thus each try killed me =/
It's only when I got older that I actually tried to step into the light these ghosts were protecting, and realized they simply turn blue, spin around you and do absolutely nothing else; so they're only dangerous when you don't step in it... which I was too scared to do...
I hated these poltergeists.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 17 2014 08:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot all about Gex 64! That was my second N64 game and I loved it so much. Now I gotta play through the entire game again.

He knows your algorithm.

koakuma
PostPosted: Dec 18 2014 03:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
I forgot all about Gex 64! That was my second N64 game and I loved it so much. Now I gotta play through the entire game again.

I have it on the N64 too.
Though I later found out there are differences between the N64 and the PS versions.
First, in Gex 64, they removed all the cutscenes (that's sad, they were fun).
Also, in Gex 2, there are more levels (more bonus levels, 3 special levels and a full level (a Scary TV level named Poltergex which has lots of these red poltergeists))
The only level in Gex 64 which isn't in Gex 2 is Gecques Cousteau, they added it and put it at the place the hidden levels were.
The N64 version is also on lower resolution.
I played Gex 2 on an emulator to realize I liked it much more (especially for the cutscenes)
It was said all these cuts on the N64 version were made because a N64 cartridge couldn't contain all the content and they had to remove some parts.

There are differences between the N64 and PS versions of Gex 3 too; removed cutscenes, lower quality and a level was changed (the mythology level, which people found too hard on the playstation version)
The N64 versions are still really fun, but I'm sad about all these removed things.
But they both have exclusive levels, so if you want to play the full game you need both versions =/ (or an emulator)

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Dec 18 2014 04:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Right now I'm playing through the original Tomb Raider because I'd never seriously played the series. There's a part halfway through the game when you enter a building underground and suddenly a horse statue explodes and a freaky, skinless horse man comes to life. It really scared the shit out of me and all the sudden the game's direction takes a weird turn.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Dec 18 2014 06:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

This one's kind of silly, but when I was really small I played this Rugrats game on the Playstation called Search for Reptar. One of the levels involves shining a flashlight in the dark while being chased by these almost comical ghosts. I literally could not play this part of the game in the dark, it scared me so badly.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 18 2014 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A few years ago I was playing this point and click PC game called Barrow Hill. I'm suprised that nobody knows about this game despite being a boxed PC game I found in Best Buy in late 2007, when everybody still sold their PC games in boxes.

Anyway, Barrow Hill is a point and click horror adventure game in the first person view. You have to walk around this creepy place in the middle of the night because your car broke down. During the game, I was searching the back of a building and decided to check the trash cans. Suddenly a crow flies out from behind the trash cans, flies right in my face while making loud crow noises, then flies off in the air. I nearly screamed at 1 in the morning. Only avoided doing so to avoid getting grounded. I was supposed to be asleep and was most likely grounded.
Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 03:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
friday the 13th on the NES used to terrify me when it turned to night. but i guess its meant to do so since it is a horror game.

Hell yeah! Even now, if I am playing this alone and wandering through a house trying to find Jason, DAH-DUM! He pops out of nowhere and still scares the living Bahjeezus out of me.... I fucking love that game.
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:

How was that scary?
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose he's referring to the final second or two. That having been said, if you really want something terrifying and/or disturbing in that game, how about the fact that Shiver Star is very clearly a frozen-over Earth when looked at from space?
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
How was that scary?

Betrayals like that tend to be when you're 10.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Reply to topic

Jump to: