SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Walking Dead Season 5

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 09 2014 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So what are the thoughts now that we have hit mid season?

I think the season has been pretty solid so far. There hasn't been anything which was ultra retardation like Andrea in Season 3.

I discuss it with Woodzy after I watch every episode. I think my biggest gripe (that I can remember) was the fact that Carol could hit an explosive gas canister in Terminus with a firework from that distance.

Apart from that. Good show.

EDIT: To respond to Cattivo from Retrodrome (since you will probably see it here).

I can't do big write ups anymore which pick apart the show cause I watch it with my Dad so I can't sit and pause and write stuff up and rewind cause he'd be like 'what the fuck are you doing!?'

I'll try to post my thoughts here though and as I've said, I haven't had many grievances at all.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Dec 09 2014 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it has markedly improved. There's the occasional stupid thing like the fireworks that you mentioned, or stupid behavior, or contrived death, but such a difference from before.

The way they killed off a main character in the mid season finale really seemed silly and forced. Why would Rick bring Noah to the exchange when seeing him could ignite hostilities? Why would Beth stab Dawn in the chest instead of the throat or head? And how did Dawn's gun get into that position before it fired? It didn't look like it was close to there before.

Scott Gimple's control of the show though has made it actually good now. I'm so happy with it. We're such a long way from idling on the farm.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 10 2014 07:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah you're definitely right about it being forced.

Beth clearly didn't like Dawn but I really didn't expect her actions at all. I mean it's not like Beth wouldn't have a role with the group if she joined up with them.

I think they just wanted some 'drama' for the midseason finale but you are right, there was really no point to it and it seemed forced.

You're right about Noah as well. I didn't even notice the other things.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 10 2014 08:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care about the TV show, I'd rather read the comics.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 10 2014 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The death of Beth was so dumb. Why did she insist on killing Dawn when she had just reunited with friends? Everybody Hates Chris wasn't worth dying over. Besides, it was well-established that the other officers were as bad as Dawn, if not worse. Killing her wasn't going to end the slavery system.

Ironically, if they had used Rick's plan, Beth would still be alive. If I had written the midseason finale, they would have stormed the hospital in a bloodbath, and ended up adding the doctor, Beth, Dawn, and a few of the wards to their group.

Dawn demanding that Everybody Hates Chris had to stay with her didn't make much sense. Up until that point, Dawn had been characterized as a reasonable person. She was trying to hold order together in a system that was increasingly become unstable. She wanted things to be better, but she didn't have enough political capital left to actually make things better. But then, suddenly, at a resolved standoff, she makes a last second unreasonable demand for no good reason? Um... okay.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 10 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I take back my previous post. Syd made me want to rent the entire series now.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Dec 11 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Besides, it was well-established that the other officers were as bad as Dawn, if not worse. Killing her wasn't going to end the slavery system..

Exactly, how were the surviving officers suddenly ok people? Didn't make much sense, besides forcing a heartbreaking end before the midseason break.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 11 2014 06:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beth is 16 or something, and an idiot. Most teenagers are.

It's either she was acting rashly and being short sighted, or she was tired of running, was willing to die, knowing that her friends would kill Dawn. I'm gonna go with the latter.

GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Dec 11 2014 07:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The death of Beth was so dumb. Why did she insist on killing Dawn when she had just reunited with friends? Everybody Hates Chris wasn't worth dying over. Besides, it was well-established that the other officers were as bad as Dawn, if not worse. Killing her wasn't going to end the slavery system.

Ironically, if they had used Rick's plan, Beth would still be alive. If I had written the midseason finale, they would have stormed the hospital in a bloodbath, and ended up adding the doctor, Beth, Dawn, and a few of the wards to their group.

Dawn demanding that Everybody Hates Chris had to stay with her didn't make much sense. Up until that point, Dawn had been characterized as a reasonable person. She was trying to hold order together in a system that was increasingly become unstable. She wanted things to be better, but she didn't have enough political capital left to actually make things better. But then, suddenly, at a resolved standoff, she makes a last second unreasonable demand for no good reason? Um... okay.

Im more pissed that Daryl is going to probably be hooking up with Jamie Lee Curtis now.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GeorgeTaylor wrote:
Im more pissed that Daryl is going to probably be hooking up with Jamie Lee Curtis now.

I'm actually fine with that pairing. It seems genuine.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Dec 15 2014 08:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like the beginning of the Walking Dead series, but I hate how the later part of the series took away from the survival aspect of it, and now the entire thing is a soap opera.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 21 2014 06:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Beth is 16 or something, and an idiot. Most teenagers are.

It's either she was acting rashly and being short sighted, or she was tired of running, was willing to die, knowing that her friends would kill Dawn. I'm gonna go with the latter.

This.

I dunno about you guys but that finale hit me right in the feels. After all of the buildup between the two, I was honestly expecting at least one of the two deceased to actually make it out alive.

I do agree with some of the others that the ending seemed a little contrived, if only because the buildup seemed to establish Dawn turning a new leaf (or at least something resembling it), so her demanding Noah seemed a bit contradictory after the previous 45 minutes.

I genuinely do like the direction the series is going in. This season has had a really somber atmosphere and I genuinely enjoy the character development that's been established (particularly in the Daryl & Carol episode).
DarknessDeku wrote:
I like the beginning of the Walking Dead series, but I hate how the later part of the series took away from the survival aspect of it, and now the entire thing is a soap opera.

They actually include more bits about the mundane details of surviving an apocalypse now than they did before. I'm also not sure what you mean by the "later part of the series", as the series has been character drama-driven since Season 2 (and has only gotten increasingly better at being so since then).
lordsathien wrote:
GeorgeTaylor wrote:

I'm actually fine with that pairing. It seems genuine.

I have been wanting this since season 3.

And honestly, Carol is probably my favorite character at this point. All of the characters from season 3 onward have had decent development in their own rights, but I feel like Carol has had the most thematically interesting evolution. And honestly, as silly as it was, I found the sight of a middle-aged woman with greying hair firing a rocket into a gas canister to be immensely entertaining.

I will say, though, that as much as the I found the Beth plotline fascinating once she got to the hospital, I spent that entire episode focused on her thinking that Emily Kinney isn't that amazing of an actress. I don't know, maybe it's the way the character is supposed to be, but I kind of just wish she was more (realistically) emotive. Like how her reaction to the whole situation seemed to be "oh...that sucks", or how Kinney's interpretation of a 16 year old girl drinking moonshine (when the character had never consumed alcohol previously) to be a mild sip followed by indifference. But, I guess we won't have to worry about that anymore.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Dec 23 2014 08:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, the best thing about Beth was how cute she was, which is unfortunate, and king of creepy for me to say cuz of her age. Kind of hard to have eye candy in a zombie survivalist show...
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Dec 23 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Her age? Emily Kinney is 28.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Dec 24 2014 01:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yeah, I forgot. Her young age in the show is confusing, but I should be used to that because 20-somethings often play teenagers in film & TV...
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 24 2014 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I was super confused when I heard about her age. I actually thought she was like two years younger than me, but to hear she's five years older is crazy.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 26 2014 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

LOL. I cannot stand the Carol love. If you check my musings about earlier seasons from threads way back I'm sure you will find me complaining about how retarded her character was and how I wished for her death.

This whole "Carol is now a badass/look at the flowers epick meme" does nothing for me. I still find her particularly unlikeable.

Also to chime in on this Beth was my waifu.
GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 02:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Honestly, the best thing about Beth was how cute she was, which is unfortunate, and king of creepy for me to say cuz of her age. Kind of hard to have eye candy in a zombie survivalist show...

I thought the character of Beth was just gaining momentum after that episode where her and Daryl talked in that abandoned house. I know you didn't like it but it seemed to be emotionally full of depth compared to the forced reactions they sometimes put on Rick Grimes who has no business trying to be an emotional character when he is at his core is a logical thinker.

Also I thought they should have killed that big burly black guy who they are just keeping around so he can blow up at Carol for setting his boo thing on fire to make for a good "On the next walking dead". I normally hate when the black guy dies, dating back to Marvin Branagh from Resident Evil 2(Who I intentionally tried to keep alive so I could possibly cure his zombism later in the game). His character just didn't go anywhere while Beth's really did which is why I think he is just being kept around to go off on Carol and cause some split in the group that once again drags us into another season of the same ole shit.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty stoked. Haven't had much new stuff to watch lately, have been rewatching Breaking Bad and other random shit. I hope Glenn dies. Really bad.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 06:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL. Glenn pls go.

I am looking forward to its return on Monday!
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Feb 08 2015 09:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Pretty stoked. Haven't had much new stuff to watch lately, have been rewatching Breaking Bad and other random shit. I hope Glenn dies. Really bad.

If you are looking for something good to watch perhaps you should check out The Americans. So far it has been a pretty good show, definitely up there with the other greats of the past few years. Season 3 has just started, so there are plenty of episodes out there to fill your time between other new shows.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Feb 09 2015 01:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is all your fault Ermac!

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 09 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I second watching The Americans. Damn good show. One of my very favorites, ever.

I was surprised at how this episode went. The episode before this one was a downer episode, and then we had a long break... and then they did ANOTHER downer episode? What the fuck.

Also, while the episode wasn't bad, I really hate when the show tries to pull artsy bullshit like this. We literally saw the entirely episode in the cold open. And then you're like, well fuck, that was a waste of an hour. I understand that the show has changed writers and creative directors a couple of time, but that doesn't mean they need to keep changing the style and tone of the show.

I feel like they've been trying to copy Breaking Bad and make some Emmy-bait episodes, the problem with that is that Breaking Bad was a brilliant show with talented writers who had a specific story that they wanted to tell, while The Walking Dead is a LOL ZOMBIES show based off a pulp comic and they've basically just made up the show as they went along.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy Walking Dead, but it's not Emmy-worthy in any regard, unless they give out an Emmy for Best Make Up Artists. I mean, I love Rocky IV with all my heart, but I'm not surprised it wasn't nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture when it came out.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 09 2015 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the acid flashback stuff was definitely cringey and overwrought, but I enjoyed the sendoff nonetheless.

Also yay, no more Georgia! Now they're in my state!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 09 2015 01:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was a sad to see the character go, but yeah, at least he got a whole episode to say goodbye.
Reply to topic

Jump to: