"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Kris Lexia's Snackoween Spooktacular

Reply to topic
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Nov 14 2014 02:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to write poems and song lyrics and i think you need some sort of sensisibility for words to learn it on your own.
But if willing i think everyone can learn it from someone who already has that and is able you teach it to someone else.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 14 2014 06:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
jprime wrote:
DarknessDeku wrote:
jprime wrote:
You can't really learn writing. Either a muse finds you or it doesn't. I learned that the hard way.

You can too learn writing. Nobody is born knowing how to write, they eventually have to learn.

I meant artistically, not practically.

I'm sure you can learn that too.

I definitely agree that artistic ability can be learned. Many people have a natural gift for it, but I think that surrounding oneself with more artistic, experimental, and otherwise out-of-the-ordinary stimuli, combined with practice, can make a person a more creative writer.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Nov 14 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
DarknessDeku wrote:
jprime wrote:
DarknessDeku wrote:
jprime wrote:
You can't really learn writing. Either a muse finds you or it doesn't. I learned that the hard way.

You can too learn writing. Nobody is born knowing how to write, they eventually have to learn.

I definitely agree that artistic ability can be learned. Many people have a natural gift for it, but I think that surrounding oneself with more artistic, experimental, and otherwise out-of-the-ordinary stimuli, combined with practice, can make a person a more creative writer.

Perhaps you're right.
JRA
PostPosted: Nov 14 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

krislexia wrote:
JRA wrote:
Ok I finally read it.

Notes:

-Warm beer for breakfast? You're braver than I am.

- I had to deal with Scary Cakes all goddamn month at work. Its a miracle I haven't relented and gained 100 pounds . Though that may have more to do with Hostess cakes being mediocre

- I miss Alpha Bits cereal. I know you didn't mention it. Just sayin.

- Work on your punchlines. And by that I mean actually put some in there. What made Syd's articles so endearing is how blasts of tasteful (and sometimes not so tasteful) offensiveness just flew in out of nowhere. You know how in that one Jenna Marbles video where she says how Jewelry was kind of like the underground railroad of sex? Something like that.

-Didn't notice any spelling errors. So you've got that going for you. Which is nice.

-It's senior year and I want to die a little bit. Warm beer is a necessary breakfast right now.

-Gotta agree there to be honest. I only like the cupcakes because of the nostalgia factor. I much prefer Twinkies and Donettes.

-I think about Alpha Bits a lot. I feel your pain.

-While my brother and I appear very similar and share much of our humor, I don't feel comfortable being as crass as him. But goddamn it I can try! I skipped the humorous writing class when I had the chance to take it because the professor was an insufferable prick. Sorry, yo.

-Thank you! I'd like to think I made it through the writing program successfully because I can follow basic literary conventions such as grammar and spelling. I do need to brush up on my hyphen usage however. Meh.

-You want to die a little bit? Everyone's little sister is graduating college now. That makes ME want to die a lot.

-I think the only reason I thought Hostess stuff was worth trying again was because of the nostalgia factor. I actually think I might prefer the cupcakes to the Twinkies TBH. I still want to try the Zingers to see if the icing is any good, but I look at my gut and I'm like "no I don't need to try those."

- No... just no.

-Humorous writing class? Pffft. I just read your brother, Maddox, Arthur and a bunch of people I can't remember because they suck now for my Doctorate in that shit.

Your Welcome Very Happy

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

krislexia
Title: Now with a hint of lime
PostPosted: Nov 15 2014 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
jprime wrote:
DarknessDeku wrote:
jprime wrote:

Writing is equal parts innate talent and training. It's important to know both what you like and what the conventional wisdom expects. Four years ago, I could definitely write but it was not refined or focused or from a place of experience.

maverickhuntergirlz492
PostPosted: Feb 04 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

nice article, but frankenberry is my favorite
Reply to topic

Jump to: