"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Buying a new PC - Help

Reply to topic
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Oct 25 2014 08:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted.

My laptop is on its last legs, and so I'm looking to get a new computer. I'd like to get a desktop this time, just because I do most of my casual web surfing on my phone and thus don't really need the portability of a laptop. I'd also like to do a bit more gaming on my PC, so I figure a desktop is the way to go for that.

I said I'd like to do some "gaming," but I'm not really looking to play the latest and greatest games. In fact, I think the most modern/demanding game I want to play is Skyrim. The problem is, I don't know how to interpret PC statistics such as cores/RAM/video card.

Below are a couple of examples of PC's I'm looking at on NewEgg. I'm looking to spend about $500. Would these computers be able to handle Skyrim on decent settings?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883250929

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220452

Skyrim system requirements, per the unofficial Wiki:

Recommended
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU processor
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD (Hard disk drive) space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum System Requirements
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor (AMD Sempron @ 2.4 GHz)
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Oct 25 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have the ability to build your own? It's a much better option than buying a preconstructed.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Oct 25 2014 02:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, I'm not knowledgeable enough to build one. I don't really know what I'd be looking for, or what types of things to buy. For now I think I'd be better off just buying one.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Oct 25 2014 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The two PCs you selected look pretty good for everyday computing and basic gaming (older games, emulators). However, I'm not so sure they're going to run Skyrim at decent settings. They don't feature dedicated graphics cards, thus the game would be running off of the CPU's less robust graphical capabilities.

You might be hard-pressed to find something around $500 that will be worthwhile, I'm afraid. Especially if you haven't factored in other potential expenditures such as a monitor, stereo speakers, software (Microsoft Office), etc.

Newegg has a gaming desktop section that you might want to peruse. You can still find some at reasonable prices, but you might want to check your needs assessment since the models vary widely.

Operating System: Most people are familiar with/prefer Windows 7, but some of the models come at Windows 8, so be aware. If you go with Windows 7, I don't believe you'll need to be concerned about the differences between Windows 7 Premium and Professional, so don't worry about it.

Storage: 500 GB to 1 TB (1,000 GB) capacity should be enough for most folks who are relatively organized. If you have a huge music/movie collection or if you never delete anything ever, you might need more. If a solid state drive (SSD) is offered, consider it as this is a tremendous boost in speed, but at a capacity cost.

RAM: Generally affects how efficient your computer is at running multiple programs at once. 6 to 8 GB is enough for most folks, anything above this is probably overkill.

Graphic Cards: Most modern graphics cards will outperform your CPU's capabilities.

So just using this Avatar Gaming I5-4525 as a baseline, for $779 you get Windows 7 64 bit; a 1 TB mechanical drive; 8 GB of RAM; a upper-mid level quad core CPU (very important for everything non-gaming); and an AMD Radeon R7 250 graphics card (see performance perspective below). It also features an ethernet jack (no wireless), a DVD reader/writer, bluetooth, a mouse, keyboard, Uncertain how many USB ports it has. Not too bad of a package, though I've never heard of this manufacturer.

Intel HD 2500 graphics (from your second link): 1.8
    Intel HD 4400 graphics (from your first link): 2.6
    AMD Radeon R7 250: 5.3

That machine is all-around better than the two that you linked to - from both a gaming and non-gaming standpoint - and I don't think the price point is that much more demanding. So if possible you might want to make that your threshold. Just mind any additional expenditures you'd need to make, though Black Friday is also approaching.

This Avatar Gaming i5-4576 at a similar $779 features a beefier graphics card (rated 8.3 so now you're moving into "Skyrim and more" territory) at the cost of some CPU power and Windows 8.1.

If you are deadset on buying a PC without a graphics card, it might still run Skyrim - but I would try researching this through Google. For example "Intel HD 4400 Skyrim performance" or something.

I hope this helps! I tried making comments based on standard computer needs, but if you have any other considerations or questions, feel free to ask.
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Oct 25 2014 08:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This website helped me in the past:

http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/

And it should be cheaper to build a computer that will max out Skyrim, because the game is a few years old, along with the parts that were most demanding at the time. I'm not sure if you need to spend more money on a more powerful system if you want to install a bunch of mods, if you want to improve graphics and add more gameplay features. I never tried it.
Reply to topic

Jump to: