"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Shadowgate Remake

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 21 2014 03:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think it actually looks pretty neat. It's developed by the two guys who originally designed the game for ICOM Simulations. While most of the rooms are the same, a lot of the puzzles have been re-designed and different items have various new functions.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Aug 21 2014 06:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, when I had unlimited time, no obligations and lived with my parents, I was in love with these kinds of games, but nowadays I just don't have the time or interest anymore. It's a shame because I still love the nostalgia vibe I get from all the point and click games I grew up on, I just have no desire to play them again.

Cameron
PostPosted: Aug 22 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I thought it looked interesting. The fact that you can have the remixed and remastered versions of the soundtrack or the original NES soundtrack on while playing is also a nice touch.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 22 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I LOVE Shadowgate. I hope this works out--I'd play the hell out of it, especially if some of the puzzles are different so I don't have to go off memory alone.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Cameron
PostPosted: Jul 21 2015 08:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This game went on a massive discount via the Steam sale a few weeks ago, so I finally got around to playing it. I've already beaten it on the first two difficulties, and I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with everything they've done. I'd say about 60% of the old puzzles are still intact, but 40% are completely new (and extremely creative). A ton of new rooms have been added, and I'm surprised at how well they mesh with the older rooms and atmosphere. I will say that the difficulty this time around is even more brutal than before (if only because some of the spells don't entirely make sense and could've used way more explanation as to what they actually do), especially with some of the unwinnable situations.

The first two that come to mind: do not
[SPOILER:493e800df4]Save the game in any rooms with goblins in them[/SPOILER:493e800df4]
And do not
[SPOILER:493e800df4]take the rope from the well BEFORE you enter it[/SPOILER:493e800df4]
Some of the newer puzzles are pretty delightful once you figure out the solutions. I won't spoil anything for anyone, but the game contains a lot of references to the other MacVenture games (to the point where a couple of the puzzles can be solved with solutions from Deja Vu).

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jul 27 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody ever play Shadowgate 64? Now that was a good game. And it's got that super awesome crappy 90s early 3D look, which everyone hates but I am all about.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jul 27 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I played it. I also thought it was Shadowgate's only sequel for years until I learned about Beyond Shadowgate on the TurboGrafx CD.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 27 2015 04:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shadowgate 64 was one of the few adventure I actually played as a kid, before I got into the genre in high school. Enjoyed it while being shocked that I was able to beat it over one rental period.
Reply to topic

Jump to: