"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Albums That Blew Your Mind

Reply to topic
JohnnyBenz
Title: The nip killer
PostPosted: Jun 25 2013 02:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just finally listened to Stone Sour's The House Of Gold And Bones Pt. 1 and Pt.2. It's an amazing concept album and, in my opinion, puts the rest of their music to shame. I have always been a huge fan of theirs, but I wasn't expecting an improvment of this magnitude. The music is fantastic and the songs tell one hell of a great story. My favorite song so far is Rumor Of Skin, but I'm sure I'll probably have a different favorite next week.

Has anyone else heard this album, or any songs off of it? I guess if you aren't a Stone Sour fan then this probably won't convert you, but if you were a fan until Audio Secrecy, I suggest you give this a listen. Hell, I would suggest this to any fan or hard rock.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 27 2013 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Protomen - Act II - A fantastic concept album about the origins of Mega Man. Not as geeky as it sounds and it's all original music. It's amazing.

Peter Gabriel - So - Just a perfect album through and through.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Such a haunting album, the whole thing has such a weird and frenetic energy level while still being chilled out and moody.

I have more, but too tired right now.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Jun 28 2013 01:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Boy, do I have a lot of these. I'm very romantic about my music, so I'll try to hit a couple highlights.

London Calling by the Clash changed my life. I was 13 when I picked up my first copy, and mostly just jamming along to punk bands like NOFX and Bad Religion. London Calling opened up my world to jazz, blues, reggae and host of other kinds of music I'd never paid attention to. It also got me paying attention to political concepts that I'd ignored prior to that. That single album made me a true appreciator of music and awoke my interest in politics. That means that I kind of owe my favorite hobby and my career choice to it. Not bad for a record I bought for five bucks.

Everything that Happens Will Happen Today by David Byrne and Brian Eno is another that jumps to right to mind. It's a very powerful album steeped in a weird sort of electronic gospel. The lyrics are positive and hopeful, Byrne sounds fantastic on it, and the power of the music is extremely uplifting.

NMH's Aeroplane Over the Sea probably fits the description of "mind blowing" best, though. There's so much romance, passion and emotion packed into that album. It's sung with this really amazing conviction, and the instrumentation on it sounds like nothing else I've ever heard. They lyrics are incredible, too. I can't really put how much I love this record into words, so I'll just leave off by saying that it's always an amazing experience when I take the time to listen to it front to back. And if someone put a gun to my head and told me to name my favorite song of all time, I'd probably say Holland, 1945 from it.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Nov 05 2013 06:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The White Stripes - The White Stripes:

I was just obsessed with every song on the Album. I have listened to this album constantly for about 10 years. It is the raw unpolished core of rock music to me.

The Strokes - This is it

Another rock album that defined my taste in music. It's kinda laid back but still rough and with a rock and roll attitude,

Dre.Dre - The Chronic 2001

My favorite Hip Hop Album. No other Rap album will ever top this. I listen to it all the time.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Nov 06 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gallery Of Suicide by Cannibal Corpse blew my mind when I first heard it, as it was my first introduction to extreme/death metal, before that I wasn't aware of anything heavier than Slayer.

The cover alone is pretty WTF, but that's par for the "corpse" when it comes to Cannibal.

The recent trilogy by Brotha Lynch Hung is rocking my mind lately, soooo good if you like that kind of stuff. Dinner and a Movie, Coathanga Strangla, and Mannibalector, best stuff he's done in years.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Dec 11 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Appetite For Destruction, Van Halen, and Boston are three classics that blow my mind for being debut albums that are just so solid through and through. You can still hear every track off of Boston's debut on classic rock radio today.

Newer albums that come to mind are Random Access Memories by Daft Punk, for making a retro album with futuristic stylings with just incredible tracks; Paramore's self-titled for simultaneously moving the band in more experimental and poppy directions and scoring them a Number One and a Grammy nod; and 1989 by Taylor Swift. I can't think of any other artist who has so successfully changed their genre. It's smashing records and breaking ground, and I love it.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Dec 11 2014 03:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rammstein - Mutter

Outkast - Speakerboxxx / The Love Below

There's definitely more, but those are the first two that came to mind for me.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Dec 12 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

In an Aeroplane over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel and The Flying Club Cup by Beirut are the two most recent ones I can think of. Oh, and Starfucker by STRFCKR

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Dec 12 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not all of these still blow my mind currently, but there have been a few:

The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
When I first listened to this album in high school, it did literally blow my mind. I listened to it at every possible moment for about two months straight after buying it. I still love Dark Side obviously, but I wouldn't say it still has quite the same impact, though I still get chills from "The Great Gig in the Sky" and the way "Brain Damage" melts into "Eclipse."

Tonight the Stars Revolt! - Powerman 5000
This was another huge high school album, but where Floyd more spoke to the artsy-nerd side of me, Powerman fed the angry teenager side. This was a GREAT album to listen to on headphones whilst stalking through the mall, being mallratty, daring people to mess with you. I remember my group of friends not really knowing anything about Powerman when they first came out other than "isn't Rob Zombie's brother in that band?" and not really caring. Then one kid in my group bought it the day it came out and let us listen to it and I immediately started walking from downtown to the mall to go get my own copy. Which wasn't all that far, but I was a fat kid in a leather jacket, camo pants and army boots and this was midsummer I think. Now, it's still a fun album, the songs are just as catchy, I just don't listen to that kind genre so much anymore.

Yoshimi Battles the pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
This is the album that got me into The Lips and Jesus Christ, I can't believe it came out thirteen fucking years ago. Anyway, this was another one that really took hold on my mind with the combo of relatable (if in broad, metaphoric strokes) themes with trippy space noise basically. Much like Dark Side, I listened to this for months straight after it came out. Now, I still consider it a real winner. I don't know if it's my favorite Lips album, but it's definitely the first one I would tell people who have never heard of them to listen to first. It has none of the aural weirdness some of their earlier albums, except Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 2, and it all meshes together well from track to track without jarring you out of it.

Blood Money - Tom Waits
Hearing this one was what got me into Tom Waits. My roommate in college during my freshman year was really into Tom Waits and he played this album for me and it did indeed blow my mind. If my memoration is correct, my description of "Misery is the River of the World" to him was that it sounded like an ogre playing a xylophone made of human bones while singing. This being Tom Waits, he then goes a whole bunch of other places with his voice that are completely different and I imagine that's how he attracts new fans, worked with me.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Count_Akula
Title: Sir Galahad
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 09:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Glassjaw's Coloring Book EP blew my mind when it came out back in 2011. Damn I wish those guys would release some new shit.

http://youtu.be/4oUllpH_Ccs
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Dec 22 2014 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nevermind and In Utero by Nirvana and Ten by Pearl Jam, and Dirt by Alice In Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden shortly afterwards. They completely changed my musical views. I went from all classic rock (with a little bit of metal and video game music) all the time into a full fledged alternative fan. While I still do like those genres, I definitely prefer alternative rock. After listening to those albums, I became addicted to grunge music and started exploring more alternative, and eventually, punk bands. I have those albums to thank for really shaping my musical tastes. Without them, my musical taste would be relatively limited. But believe it or not, the album that started to shape my musical tastes is an album you wouldn't even expect and even make fun of me for.

That album is Satellite by P.O.D. I know, I know, I can hear you mocking me now. But I was 9 years old when I got it, so of course my taste was shitty. I listened to the song, Satellite, recently, and unfortunately, it didn't hold up to how much I used to like it. It was okay. Just okay. I mean, it has a lot of nostalgia value, so there's that. But after listening to that song on the radio in like 2002 or 2003, I really wanted the CD. And I got it. And I loved it. That album was really the one that introduced me to the joys of rock. Before that, I really only listened to what was on the radio, and Eminem (I still love Eminem, but admittedly, I liked him back then mainly because he swore a lot and didn't really appreciate the music). And yes, I know Eminem was on the radio back then. But while it may not be that good of an album, Satellite is an important one for me because it made me a fan of rock music.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 22 2014 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looking back, the most eye-opening experience I've ever had in terms of an album was probably M.I.A.'s second album, Kala. Looking back, I can easily think of things I heard later on that were much more "experimental", but at the time my sixteen-year-old-brain had never heard anything so off-the-wall.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Feb 12 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bit of a necro sorry...

U2: Achtung baby/ JoshuaTree/ Boy.
Leonard Cohen: The Future.
NIN: The Downward Spiral.
Bjork: Debut/Post.
The Knife: Deep Cuts.
Royksopp: Sunday AM/The Understanding/ Junior.
The Boards of Canada: Campfire Head Phase.
TV on The Radio: Return to Cookie Mountian/ Dear Science.
LCD Soundsystem: Sounds of Silver.
Massive Attack: Mezzanine/ Blue lines.
Tricky: maxinquaye.
Beta Band: The Three EPs/ King Buscuit Time's No Style (Both Steve Masons).
Beck: Guero/ Morning Phase.
Daft Punk: RAM/ Discovery.
Air: Moon Safari.
Arcade Fire: Reflektor.
MGMT: Oracular Spectacular/Congratulations.
DJ Shadow: The Private Press/Endtroducing.
The Chemical Brothers: Surrender.
The Orbital: The Blue Album.
Underworld: dubnobasewithmyheadman/ Second Toughest of the Infants/ Barking/ Oblivion with Bells.
The Cure: Disintegration.
The National: High Violet.

Pretty much anything from Pink Floyd, New Order, U2...

IDK, I guess I share little interest in the music most people listen to on this board.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 12 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good call on The Future, Muppet. That's the album that made me realize Leonard Cohen may be an actual demon/angel/genius.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Feb 12 2015 07:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
Good call on The Future, Muppet. That's the album that made me realize Leonard Cohen may be an actual demon/angel/genius.

Well, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.=)

My favorite lyrics from Leonard Cohen, from Suzanne:

And Jesus was a sailor
When he walked upon the water
And he spent a long time watching
From his lonely wooden tower
And when he knew for certain
Only drowning men could see him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"
But he himself was broken
Long before the sky would open
Forsaken, almost human
He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone

Anyways also this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OpLBtWG3JR4

Yes he is a demon/angel/genius...

Also, can't believe I forgot Honey's Dead from The Jesus and Mary Chain. Great song from them too off Munki, Birthday...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41SP25T0wjg

Meh: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yfySK7CLEEg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NXp1TQPf2pY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kR72PmsiJaQ

Also, She Wants Revenge: She Wants Revenge.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: May 03 2017 06:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pinkerton by Weezer recently blew me away. I may have a new all time favorite.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Reply to topic

Jump to: