[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Super Smash Bros. [WiiU]

Reply to topic
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Apr 11 2014 04:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Given how well the Smash series has sold, I'm thinking that Nintendo's positioning of the Wii U release in Winter will incentivize people enough to buy it, possibly as a holiday bundle. I imagine that there's going to be something beyond the Smash Race mode for the Wii U version, to say nothing of the different stages and more than 2 music tracks per stage.

The best explanation I could come up with is that the Wii U version is ostensibly the one that will matter more, so they can harvest play data from 3DS version to better balance the characters once it gets actually competitive.

Also, here's like a thousand Wii U screenshots that were released the same day. And at least 100 3DS screenshots.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 13 2014 07:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
Do you guys think that the later release for the Wii U version is going to hurt Nintendo? They're having trouble moving WiiUs as it is, I feel like it's a mistake to give everyone several months to decide they'll just get on 3DS instead.

My first inclination was yes, current inclination is no. Game will be out in time for Christmas, which is a more meaningful sales period than summer. I am currently unsold on the 3DS version of this game, as no handheld fighter I've ever played was ever really good. Those Jump DS import games everybody loves? They're crap with amazing rosters. I think they're hoping people like me get hungry for Smash and buy the 3DS version because it's there and anticipation of the real version is killing us.

Also, Charizard. I bet his Final Smash with be split between X and Y Mega Evolutions for the two versions.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 17 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is the revealed roster complete? Because if Captain Falcon isn't in this game, I'm going to be pissed.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Apr 18 2014 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's 29 known characters so far and Brawl had 39. There's room for around 10 more if the roster is not supposed to be the biggest.

Ness is in for sure due to the Franklin Badge in a few screenshots. I'm willing to bet Captain Falcon is too, and possibly Meta Knight if he isn't snubbed the way Mewtwo was for Brawl.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 18 2014 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to have Mewtwo back.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 18 2014 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1) Mewtwo was in Brawl, I think?
2) Have they said this roster won't exceed past rosters? If so, it's extra bullshit that they split single characters into multiples.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Apr 18 2014 06:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl. He, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu were scrapped.

I rarely played as Mewtwo in Melee. Some of his attacks seemed a bit gimmicky. Maybe I just needed more practice, but most of the other characters seem much more fun to me.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 19 2014 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
it's extra bullshit that they split single characters into multiples.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it pisses me off that Zelda got split. Changing it up was a huge part of how I played that character. On the other hand, I hated Zero-Suit Samus. I'm glad I can play as the real thing without risking being stuck as a character I hated.
LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Apr 19 2014 02:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They never said the roster would be smaller.

They did say that they didn't want a big roster just for the sake of having a big roster. See: Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Splitting Zelda into two characters means Sheik isn't tied to a garbage character anymore and can get an extra special move.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Apr 19 2014 03:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's also due to the limitations of the 3DS. The rosters for both versions have to be the same. Less space on the 3DS means fewer characters on the Wii U. It's the same reason why a lot of the assist trophies and pokemon between the two versions will only be "similar in type".
The Opponent
PostPosted: Apr 20 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

The 3DS is pretty capable, though. They did boast about how large the maximum cartridge capacity was for 3DS game cards when the system was first announced (current maximum size is 4 GB, theoretical maximum 8 GB or possibly even more, and you'd be surprised at how much they can fit in those sizes), so they could very well surprise in terms of roster size even with only a few months to go before release.

Also, if Nintendo has been paying any attention at all to the Smash community the last 6 years, they'd do well to steal all of Project M's best ideas, and it looks like they are. The custom move feature is basically PSA (the program/hack that changes move properties for mods), and every stage has a featureless form similar to Project M's edits. Regardless of what you think of Project M or its players, they are making genuine effort into actually adding to the game, and I could very easily see Nintendo taking cues from popular mods without necessarily giving them credit, kinda like how Left 4 Dead 2 took a bunch of server mods for the first game and turned them into real features.

And I don't know why I care, but I'm fearful for what the Smash Bros. Miiverse communities will be like once the games are out. Surely, tons of day 1 bans will be in order. I'm willing to bet lewd stuff will reach record highs before long and it will be impossible to moderate it all.

[Edit]200 new pictures.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 24 2014 06:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Custom moves sounds like a completely broken and stupid idea*.

*Unless I can customize Mario to be Dr. Mario.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Apr 24 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

It will be broken if it's not as extensive as I hope it is. They haven't talked about it at all yet, which worries me a little. I want to be able to make the characters as severely broken and unfair as possible and try to see who can be the most cheap in a four-player match.

Also, the video showed Mario's fireball with two sets of vastly different properties, so just maybe Dr. Mario can make a return of sorts.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: May 29 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

New Smash Brothers is playable with GameCube controllers.
[SPOILER:aa2be4b649]Image[/SPOILER:aa2be4b649]

I love you Nintendo.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 30 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

damn it. why did i sell my gamecube controllers?!

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: May 30 2014 08:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's pretty rad that you will be able to use game cube controllers. Will the game come with the adapter or is it being sold separately?

The Opponent
PostPosted: May 30 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I presume they'll be sold next to them. I also presume the PDP partnership is for them to manufacture new controllers, which would mean Nintendo is either unwilling or unable to do it themselves anymore.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 30 2014 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

im presuming they are UNABLE to do so because of that lawsuit they had

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

The Opponent
PostPosted: May 30 2014 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Which one? There's like a dozen lawsuits against Nintendo going on at any given time, and if they can't manufacture it, then I would think they wouldn't be able to license its design either.

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Jun 12 2014 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think with all the hype surrounding it, I think we should make a group effort to create an unofficial Sydlexian guide to Smash Bros. preparation for the Wii U version.

Edit: Also, I think Nintendo should remake the Wavebird controller. It would be the cherry-on-top for all of that Smash Bros. fan service.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Jun 12 2014 08:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Conan "reviews" smash bros.
[SPOILER:0293b041f4][/SPOILER:0293b041f4]
Preng
PostPosted: Jun 12 2014 09:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was great. Benign growths!
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jun 12 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Still no shots of Captain Falcon or Ness. There's no way those two got cut, is there?
Preng
PostPosted: Jun 13 2014 01:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt that they were cut. They've been in since the beginning and I think Nintendo realizes there would be tremendous backlash if they were not included.

Also, there have been pictures of the Franklin Badge from Earthbound. Perhaps Lucas could be cut (or made into an alternate costume for Ness).
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Jun 13 2014 02:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe they'll include Ninten from the first game.
Reply to topic

Jump to: