[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Overrated Songs By Great Artists

Reply to topic
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Mar 20 2013 05:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much self explanatory.

The song that comes to mind for me, more than any other, is Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Don't get me wrong, the song itself isn't overrated, at least in my opinion. It is a great song. However, I hate how that's the one Nirvana song that gets attention. I hate when people equate Nirvana with just that song. The truth is, Smells Like Teen Spirit isn't even their best song. They have songs that are far better.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Mar 29 2013 02:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anything by AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, or Jimi Hendrix that is considered a radio staple, IE we've all heard it a bazillion times.

Actually I think it's just the idea of radio singles for ANY BAND that bugs the heck out of me, all these bands have whole albums full of tunes, many of them quite rad, stop playing out the same 2 or 3 tracks from an album, FOR 20 YEARS! Mad

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Mar 29 2013 05:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

On the same line as Blackout I would say many of the Van Halen (or Van Hagar) radio hits are way overrated. Granted Panama maybe one of my all time favorite Van Halen songs but come on.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Mar 29 2013 07:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah pretty much everything that gets extensive radio play tend to be fairly overrated. Then again I'm probably just burned out on them which doesn't help. Particularly Metallica, who I love to death. The radio station used to have a block called Mandatory Metallica which was three Metallica songs in a row, but it was always the same 6 songs mixed in a different order. Don't get me wrong I love Enter Sandman, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Sanitarium as much as the next guy, but seriously they have some other stuff that is equally as good that no one ever bothers to play. A lot of the reason I quit listening to the radio was that if you listened for more than an hour you heard the same songs over and over.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Apr 01 2013 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. It's like nine and half hours long, and they never go anywhere with it. Just the same thing over and over again.
Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Apr 03 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll post a few

1. Almost any of Queen's greatest hits, but especially Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm so fucking tired of that song that I never want to hear it again.
2. Rock and Roll by Led Zepplin. It contains absolutely none of the things that made Zep a great band.
3. The End of the World as We Know It. If you're getting a running theme here, it's that a band's most popular songs rarely represent their best work.
4. Anything Clapton Recorded after 1975. He went from being one of the most badass blues rock players in the genre to someone who recorded the kind of bullshit you hear in coffee shops. What the hell happened, man?
5. Similarly, anything by Rod Stewart after 1976. He started as a garage rocker with bands like Small Faces and became a pretty good blue eyed soul singer. Then he started the slow transition into lounge music, and everything he's recorded in the last 40 years has been absolute garbage.
6. Metallica's Black Album. Pretty much the whole thing. This was the beginning of their descent into their fucking horrible modern music, but it's still a really popular album for some reason.
7. Dear God, Rock the Cashbah by the Clash. It's the only song most people know from them and it's practically a disco track. Not a bad one, mind you, but way, waaaay off their best work. It came off their weakest album (because I refuse to acknowledge that Cut the Crap is actually a Clash record) and it's not even the best song on it. It's a good song, but I'll never understand why this song made it for the band while songs like Rudie Can't Fail weren't ever hits.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 03:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jesus Built my Hot Rod, by Ministry. I love Ministry, but I always thought that song was annoying.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 07:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think the fact that I have satellite radio, where I can listen to specialty stations has soured me to the idea of "overrated" songs. When I hear something like D'yer Maker on The Boneyard about as often as I hear Rainbow's Stargazer, it's hard to hate the one that was a much bigger hit.

When you have to depend on mainstream classic rock stations for your main source of radio listening, yeah, I guess you get sick of songs. But in today's age, that's pretty much your own fault. Buy an mp3 player and load it full of thousands of songs. Then for like $10, buy a connector that lets it play through your car radio. Hell, if you have a car made after 2010, it probably has a USB port specifically so that you can do this.

There was probably a time, maybe 6 years ago, when I was sick of Enter Sandman. Now when I hear it, it's a real treat for me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would argue it being my own fault. In my own case my vehicle was made in 2004, thereby having no means of connecting an MP3 player to my car radio (it does not have have a cassette player only a single CD player that doesn't play MP3 CD's either, nor does it pick up low frequency FM modulators for some reason). All of that being said, being a commuter that also needs to have traffic updates for my hour or so commute I actually have to listen to terrestrial radio for those traffic alerts. I do hope in my next vehicle to have satellite radio, but then again currently being on a tighter budget while the monthly subscription I believe is 12 or so dollars a month, I may not be able to swing that depending on what is going on at the time.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. It's just the song everybody got to know because of it's catchy sound, but they have tons of songs that are equally as good or even better.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 01:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
There was probably a time, maybe 6 years ago, when I was sick of Enter Sandman. Now when I hear it, it's a real treat for me.

For me, Enter Sandman is overrated (not bad, mind you) because its success marked the beginning of Metallica's decline. Not necessarily because it's overplayed. My feelings are similar for other examples. As a huge Clash fan, for instance, it's hard for me not to be frustrated by the fact that nobody knows anything they did aside from Rock the Cashbah. And it's frustrating because I know that it's pretty far from their best work. It's not necessarily that I think the song's overplayed, and I always enjoy it when I catch it on the radio (satellite or otherwise), but it's annoying that it's their most recognized song when they have so many better ones that never saw the success they deserved.

Quote:
Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. It's just the song everybody got to know because of it's catchy sound, but they have tons of songs that are equally as good or even better.

THANK YOU!

Sort of. I just never liked Seven Nation Army to begin with. But I think we agree that it's overrated.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 01:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Burning Down The House. I legit love the song, but just like Fighter, I'm annoyed that it's the most well known when there are at least 20-30 better Talking Heads songs that I could be hearing. Why not something like "Heaven" or "Sugar on my Tongue"? Those should be more popular!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 02:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Road To Nowhere > Burning Down The House. Little Monsters represent!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

YES! Also, RIP to those kids who drowned in the ocean during the closing credits.

I know now that they were just celebrating and happy to be out and jumping into the ocean or whatever, but as a really young kid, I SERIOUSLY THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE GONNA SWIM HOME OR SOMETHING. I didn't get it.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Road To Nowhere > Burning Down The House. Little Monsters represent!

Probably my favorite song by the Talking Heads. And that's saying something.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 08:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fourthing the Talking Heads sentiment. When they have songs like THIS:

Burning Down the House more than pales in comparison.

Also, Paper Planes by M.I.A.

Bacon_Motherfucker
PostPosted: Apr 25 2013 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Enter The Sandman ~ Metallica

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that song. It's fucking overrated to the point that LMFAO (the band) looks unpopular.
Greg the White
PostPosted: Apr 26 2013 04:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

"This Land is Your Land" by Woodie Guthrie. Folk legend and all that, yeah, but besides missing the point of the song, most don't know him beyond singing the song in 2nd grade.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Apr 26 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bacon_Motherfucker wrote:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that song. It's fucking overrated to the point that LMFAO (the band) looks unpopular.

I sort of mentioned it when I included the entire Black Album up there.

Also, the band looks unpopular because its members are all fucking assholes who've spent the last 20 years making entirely mediocre music.

Just sayin...

Bacon_Motherfucker
PostPosted: Apr 29 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
Bacon_Motherfucker wrote:

I sort of mentioned it when I included the entire Black Album up there.

Also, the band looks unpopular because its members are all fucking assholes who've spent the last 20 years making entirely mediocre music.

Just sayin...

Sorry, I overlooked what you wrote. Anyway, your comment seems to have mistaken my prime example; as I didn't say LMFAO was exactly 'unpopular' (fucking overrrated they are).
Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Apr 29 2013 07:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ooooh. No. I missed the fact that LMFAO was even a band.

Jesus, that's sad.

JRA
PostPosted: May 10 2013 01:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm starting to believe the entire Master of Puppets album is overrated TBH.

Pantera- Walk (seriously, how the fuck did this space filler become Pantera's biggest song?)
Iron Maiden- The Clairvoyant, Wrathchild
Judas Priest- Victim of Changes (Dreamer Deceiver is better in the studio, and Genocide is better live)
Megadeth- Trust
Slayer- Disciple, Dead Skin Mask
Led Zeppelin- Over The Hills & Far Away

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jun 22 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Black Sabbath - War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid

I'm biased because I'm a Dio nuthugger and prefer the Dio Sabbath (and parts of the Tony Martin Sabbath) over the Ozzy Sabbath, but a lot of casual fans basically know Sabbath for those 3 songs. They're missing out much of the incredible stuff that came after.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

SpaceAceObes
PostPosted: Jun 22 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love KISS, but "I Was Made for Loving You" is awful. As is the whole Dynasty album, come to think of it...
JRA
PostPosted: Jun 29 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's made tolerable with Alive III. It turns into groove thrash and Robb Flynn is nowhere to be found!

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Reply to topic

Jump to: