Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Feb 20 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Now that is something I have to try.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Feb 20 2013 01:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I don't know about the cherry flavor because I'm afraid it might remind me of robitussin and cause me to instantly want to throw up but I still want to try it. D: I'll have to see if Friar Tuck's has it in their little build your own area.
Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Feb 20 2013 01:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

It does. What neck of Il are you in, BB?

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Feb 20 2013 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Springfield.
Greg the White
PostPosted: Feb 20 2013 01:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
Yeah I don't know about the cherry flavor because I'm afraid it might remind me of robitussin and cause me to instantly want to throw up but I still want to try it. D: I'll have to see if Friar Tuck's has it in their little build your own area.

It's kind of halfway between bitter, real cherries and candy cherry. It takes a bit to find the flavor, but it tastes like the sweet part of real cherry without getting all Willy Wonka with it.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 03:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
First is Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss:

Barry White? Rolling Eyes Laughing Shouldn't that be a Chocolate stout?

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 03:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
Springfield.

Badass. I live pretty close to there. And I'm trying to get a job there.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

And I'm trying to get away from this black hole again. lol Seems like once you are in good ol' Springpatch you never escape the place and I was unfortunately born here so I never stood a chance. You get away for a while but somehow it finds a way to drag you back.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 05:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, this one I have to explain. I love hard cider. It was my favorite drink in college. Specifically, Hornsby's brand. Typically amber draft, but occasionally crisp apple. So, I noticed the numerous, recent advertisements for "Redd's Apple Ale" and thought, why buy an apple flavored beer, when I can just buy some cider? But, I finally gave in last night, to see how it compared.

Redd's Apple Ale

This stuff even looks like hard cider. I don't even know how it qualifies as a beer. Tastes incredibly similar to Hornsby's crisp apple. So, not too bad in my opinion. The sweetness can get to be a bit much after half a bottle, though. I guess that's why I typically prefer an amber draft of cider. Overall, pretty good, although it tastes nothing like a beer. At least it has more alcohol at 5%, although hard cider is typically around 6% alcohol. So, if you want something that has the fruit taste of an apple, it's not a bad choice, but you'd be better off going for a cider.

Score: 3/5

Drink with: I usually enjoy hard cider in the Summer or early Fall, so I prefer stuff like this with BBQ burgers, dogs, or brats. Perhaps with some fresh fruit or fries on the side.

Edit: Pic props: Did a google image search for one, and found this one. Later discovered it's from a review on the Chicago Reader website.
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 06:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love hard Cider myself. That Woodchuck Winter mix is probably my favorite though I haven't tried too many others.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 06:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Woodchuck is probably the most famous brand. A friend in college exclusively drank that one. Didn't know Woodchuck had a winter mix. Gotta try that, thanks.
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Yeah, Woodchuck is probably the most famous brand. A friend in college exclusively drank that one. Didn't know Woodchuck had a winter mix. Gotta try that, thanks.

Yeah I didn't either until someone left 4 bottles here after a get-together. I was like "What is this unexpected surprise?" I hear the fall mix is the best but I definitely liked the winter one. I'll have to keep an eye out for their other limited time ones.
Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 06:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Angry Orchard is about as far as I can go with hard cider. I'm not a fan, and most of it ends up tasting the way feet smell.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 21 2013 07:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like some hard ciders. I can't stand Woodchuck. To me, Woodchuck is like drinking a homeless diabetic's urine. I do like Strongbow though. Last week I saw a Samuel Smith hard cider, which I bought, because Samuel Smith makes some of my favorite beers and I was curious what their cider was like. It was good. I recommend it.
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 07:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright ENOUGH with all of y'all's high falootin fancy schmancy girl beers, it's time for something that will put hair on your chest, and ulcers on the lining of your stomach!

I haven't had one of these in almost two years since I forsook heavy drinking for the stably gratifying yet occasionally bland dirge of sobriety tinged with occasional responsible social drinking, so here goes nothing!

Or possibly here goes everything...

This shit smells like paint thinner and garbage water, and tastes like unadulterated sadness, failure distilled.

Once it hits your palate you notice the bitter taste of impending defeat, like you've hit rock bottom, and the mouth feel reminds you that if you drink enough of these that you will do something you regret, but the after note denotes that you probably won't remember anything anyhow.

Now since I've already kicked the night off with something that stinks and tastes terrible, here's a plate of limburger and dry salame, this in addition to the the can of rot gut almost guarantee I'll smell so horrible that everyone will shun me for the next few hours.

Honestly I'd rate it a -3, and I chose not to sully any of my nice beer steins with this poison, so it stayed in the can.

Oh I got a churchwarden too, I like to call it a Gandalf pipe!

Fighter_McWarrior
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You cheer me

utahpunk
Title: Sir!
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 01:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I went to a local brew-pub this last weekend(Hoppers), and had their "Irish Baghandler" beer. It is a mixture of their Red ale and a stout. Amazing.

And yes...they brew some good beer in Utah of all places. There are a handful of microbrewries in Salt Lake City that make some damn good beer.

......I'm not even supposed to be here today!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 22 2013 04:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Alright ENOUGH with all of y'all's high falootin fancy schmancy girl beers, it's time for something that will put hair on your chest, and ulcers on the lining of your stomach!

I haven't had one of these in almost two years since I forsook heavy drinking for the stably gratifying yet occasionally bland dirge of sobriety tinged with occasional responsible social drinking, so here goes nothing!

Or possibly here goes everything...

This shit smells like paint thinner and garbage water, and tastes like unadulterated sadness, failure distilled.

Once it hits your palate you notice the bitter taste of impending defeat, like you've hit rock bottom, and the mouth feel reminds you that if you drink enough of these that you will do something you regret, but the after note denotes that you probably won't remember anything anyhow.

[img]*image*[/img]

Now since I've already kicked the night off with something that stinks and tastes terrible, here's a plate of limburger and dry salame, this in addition to the the can of rot gut almost guarantee I'll smell so horrible that everyone will shun me for the next few hours.

Honestly I'd rate it a -3, and I chose not to sully any of my nice beer steins with this poison, so it stayed in the can.

Oh I got a churchwarden too, I like to call it a Gandalf pipe!

ah... good old blackout. a man after my own heart.

that earthquake shit is gross, but i've had worse. tonight i think i will try that Redd's apple cider you guys are talking about and then wash it down w/some Night Train Express. considered a bum wine by, well, basically everyone:
http://www.bumwine.com/nighttrain.html

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Feb 23 2013 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

These are the last survivors of sixers past, but I figure it might be fun to document my selections over the past few weeks. From left to right:

Bacardi Silver Mojito 3/5
Pretty basic, but I guess my sweet tooth has a weakness for the minty flavor. There is not much depth to it, but I don't think it could really offend anyone, either. As evidenced in the picture, my main preference is the darker varieties of adult beverages, but this a nice change to the mix.

Kräftig Lager 3/5
This is a pretty decent lager. For those not in the know, William K. Busch is trying to enter the industry and distinguish himself from the Anheiser Busch InBev brewing company. If I recall correctly, his approach is to follow Reinheitsgebot or an old-time German beer law/modern point of pride. By all means, this is a pretty nice drink and is much more desirable than Bud Light and its brethren; it provides a nice, bitter taste at the back of your tongue. However, I have still yet to find a lager that keeps me coming back for serving after serving, though. It's not very pricey, so give it a shot if you enjoy lagers.

Schlafly Coffee Stout 3.5/5
So maybe Missouri isn't as bad as advertised. Schlafly has some nice selections, including this coffee stout. There is a very strong taste of coffee in this drink, and overall I think it makes for a pretty good end-of-the-day beverage. Your mileage may vary depending on your preferences for coffee. Then again, I don't even drink the stuff yet I appreciate this stout.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Flats Amber 2.5/5
There isn't a whole lot to describe here; this is pretty much your typical amber beverage. It's pretty cheap, but leaves something to be desired.

Boulevard Nutcracker Ale 4/5
Ooh, baby. Toffee, brown sugar, and molasses - yet not overbearingly sweet, and in fact a fair amount of bitterness. All in all, this is a somewhat stronger drink that will probably be preferred by those who enjoy porters and stouts. Obviously seasonal, but I've still seen 'em sold in recent weeks.

Left Hand Milk Stout 3.5/5
So, this is a very interesting brew in which lactose sugar has been added. This provides a very, very sweet taste; likely more than one would expect from a stout. I will definitely say that this is a well-crafted beverage, but I personally find the sweetness to be a bit interrupting to the flavor as a whole. This might be something you wish to sample in a make-your-own before you grab an entire sixer.

Baraboo Snow Drift IPA 3.5/5
I do enjoy bitter IPAs, but this is a refreshingly smooth, if still dark, take on the formula. A worthy try for all tastes, but obviously there is still going to be some bitterness to handle.

Sierra Nevada Porter 4.5/5
The labels on the six-pack and bottle aren't particularly flashy, but porter fans shouldn't write this one off as a standard brew. Very rich with a fantastic aftertaste. Perhaps a drink with a bit more bite than others, but not overbearingly so. I must warn that Sierra Nevada also makes a stout, although I didn't find that one to be nearly as great.

Founder's Breakfast Stout 5/5
Repeated from an earlier post. Chocolate, oatmeal, and coffee flavors in a superb blend.

Fuller's London Porter 5/5
Repeated from an earlier post. Chocolate, caramel, toffee, and coffee. This drink was my gateway into porters. Just buy it.

New Belgium 1554 4.5/5
A great black ale that already has the approval of multiple forumers.
Syd_Lexio
Title: FAKE
PostPosted: Feb 23 2013 09:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beer is okay.
Sinistar
PostPosted: Feb 24 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd_Lexio wrote:
Beer is okay.

Run, coward.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Mar 01 2013 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate to be a backseat mod, but really this thread belongs in the food forum.
JohnnyBenz
Title: The nip killer
PostPosted: Mar 01 2013 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure how to spell it, but there's this beer called Croitsburg brewed by monks in Europe. I tried it several times when I was stationed over there during my army years a few years ago. They sell it by the liters I believe and its the best I've personally ever had.
Beach Bum
PostPosted: Apr 05 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I tried Woodchuck's Spring mix and apparently they changed it from last year where they only added some honey to adding maple syrup and brown sugar. That shit is like slightly alcoholic, liquid maple and brown sugar oatmeal and I really like it. Unfortunately Woodchuck is one of the most expensive things in the beer aisle so I won't be drinking very much of it since I can almost get a 12 pack of other good beer for the same price as a 6 pack of it.
King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Apr 05 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I realize I am over a month overdue for the comment, but I was excited and dismayed to see a picture of Eathquake on this thread. Last time I drank that was August 2009 on vacation, my buddy I each drank 4 pounders while grilling in the hot sun. Needless to say the high alcohol content only assisted this "beer" and I use the term loosely that after the first 1.5 your mouth is so numb or decimated that you don't taste it, or anything else it turns out for quite sometime after.

Reply to topic

Jump to: