Total Votes : 26

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 21 2013 08:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, I remember that old joke.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jan 22 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of which, an old joke I remember...'If Pee Wee and Jack were stuck on the roof, would you help Pee Wee or Jack off?'

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 22 2013 02:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would jack off.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

@om*d
PostPosted: Jan 22 2013 03:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jack off on the roof? Absolutely.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jan 23 2013 03:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think that's what the thread poll should be from now on.

A. Help Pee Wee
B. Jack off

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 23 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
I think that's what the thread poll should be from now on.

A. Help Pee Wee
B. Jack off

Like some counter-dialogue between Altruism and the Ego, right?

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jan 23 2013 05:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Although I appreciate the CN shows now, they never grabbed me as a kid. The 90s were entirely about Nickelodeon (specifically Saturday night Snick) for me. I've adored watching the oldschool reruns of all those shows that TeenNick is doing every night now. I forgot how good Clarissa Explains It All and Are You Afraid of the Dark actually are.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Jan 23 2013 05:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As @om*d has already clearly shown, Nickelodeon was the better by far. All of the game shows were incredibly unique and entertaining. And while some of the Nickcoms don't really hold up well, most of them are still very good. I recently watched some Pete & Pete episodes on Youtube and they are even better than I remember. Pete & Pete may be one the top five or ten best "kids" shows ever.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jan 25 2013 06:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cartoon Network all the way.

People have seemed to have forgotten that it showed the classics as well. Most of the live action stuff on Nickelodeon was crap, in my opinion apart from Kenan and Kel and Are You Afraid of the Dark.

On saying that however....the programming on the two channels was a lot different here than in the States.

The main difference is that shows seemed to air on CN and Nick and then they only appeared here like 2-3 years later - originals that is.

That is the case for things like Dexters Lab and Spongebob Squarepants. Such that I wouldn't even consider Spongebob a 90s cartoon.

Honestly the only thing Nick had going for it animated wise was Rugrats, Aaah Real Monsters, Ren and Stimpy and Hey Arnold, perhaps even the Wild Thornberrys. Doug was a total abomination.

Though also people just seem to be talking about Original shows. Why? It doesn't matter if the shows weren't "original", they were still a part of my childhood and for that reason Nickelodeon is reduced to dust.

Let me just say:

The Flintstones
The Jetsons
2 Stupid Dogs
Animaniacs
Wacky Races
The Mask
Men in Black
Batman
Beetlejuice
Looney Tunes
The Pink Panther
Johnny Quest
Real Ghostbusters
Droopy
Scooby Doo
Earthworm Jim
Freakazoid
Tom and Jerry
List goes on...

Some of those shows were probably shown on public stations in the USA, like Real Ghosbusters on ABC.

However those stations don't exist here. We can't watch them now and definitely couldn't in the 90s.

For a kid in 90's here there were two places you could watch television. Programming in the morning or afternoon or on CBBC (Children's BBC) or CITV (Children's ITV).

For all the shows you obviously needed cable or digital television. None of the above shows or basically any of the shows in this thread were shown on public television in the UK and Ireland. None. So basically all the cartoons were lumped onto Cartoon Network, Nick or Fox Kids - later Toon Disney.

So basically all the shows you probably watched on public access or whatever were shown on one channel here and that channel was Cartoon Network and that is the reason why it is superior in every way to Nick. If you live in Europe, CN is superior in everyway to Nick.
@om*d
PostPosted: Jan 25 2013 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:

People have seemed to have forgotten that it showed the classics as well. Most of the live action stuff on Nickelodeon was crap, in my opinion apart from Kenan and Kel and Are You Afraid of the Dark.

On saying that however....the programming on the two channels was a lot different here than in the States.

The main difference is that shows seemed to air on CN and Nick and then they only appeared here like 2-3 years later - originals that is.

That is the case for things like Dexters Lab and Spongebob Squarepants. Such that I wouldn't even consider Spongebob a 90s cartoon.

Honestly the only thing Nick had going for it animated wise was Rugrats, Aaah Real Monsters, Ren and Stimpy and Hey Arnold, perhaps even the Wild Thornberrys. Doug was a total abomination.

Though also people just seem to be talking about Original shows. Why? It doesn't matter if the shows weren't "original", they were still a part of my childhood and for that reason Nickelodeon is reduced to dust.

Let me just say:

The Flintstones
The Jetsons
2 Stupid Dogs
Animaniacs
Wacky Races
The Mask
Men in Black
Batman
Beetlejuice
Looney Tunes
The Pink Panther
Johnny Quest
Real Ghostbusters
Droopy
Scooby Doo
Earthworm Jim
Freakazoid
Tom and Jerry
List goes on...

Some of those shows were probably shown on public stations in the USA, like Real Ghosbusters on ABC.

However those stations don't exist here. We can't watch them now and definitely couldn't in the 90s.

For a kid in 90's here there were two places you could watch television. Programming in the morning or afternoon or on CBBC (Children's BBC) or CITV (Children's ITV).

For all the shows you obviously needed cable or digital television. None of the above shows or basically any of the shows in this thread were shown on public television in the UK and Ireland. None. So basically all the cartoons were lumped onto Cartoon Network, Nick or Fox Kids - later Toon Disney.

So basically all the shows you probably watched on public access or whatever were shown on one channel here and that channel was Cartoon Network and that is the reason why it is superior in every way to Nick. If you live in Europe, CN is superior in everyway to Nick.

The pan-European version of Cartoon Network didn't air any content owned by Warner Bros. The UK and Ireland Cartoon Network didn't start until October of 1999 and then they were able to air Warner Bros. content. So, your list would be much different in that case.

Non- Warner Bros. content on your list includes:

2 Stupid Dogs
The Mask
Men in Black
The Pink Panther
The Real Ghostbusters
Droopy
Earthworm Jim

All of the other animated shows you listed never aired on the pan-European version of Cartoon Network. They could not have aired until October of 1999 when the UK and Ireland Cartoon Network launched. You probably saw those shows on other channels.

I will still give it to you that Cartoon Network was far better in Europe than Nickelodeon.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Jan 25 2013 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I may be mistaken, but didn't Nick show Tiny Toon Adventures and Garfield too?
@om*d
PostPosted: Jan 25 2013 09:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
I may be mistaken, but didn't Nick show Tiny Toon Adventures and Garfield too?

Yes, they absolutely did.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: Jan 25 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nickelodeon was superior to CN in terms of original programming in the '90s, with shows such as Rugrats, All That, and Hey Arnold, but Cartoon Network was superior in other programming. I mean, Cartoon Network played a shit ton of classic cartoons and Toonami was many children's introduction to anime in the '90s.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Jan 27 2013 03:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

Let me just say:

The Flintstones
The Jetsons
2 Stupid Dogs
Animaniacs
Wacky Races
The Mask
Men in Black
Batman
Beetlejuice
Looney Tunes
The Pink Panther
Johnny Quest
Real Ghostbusters
Droopy
Scooby Doo
Earthworm Jim
Freakazoid
Tom and Jerry
List goes on...

The pan-European version of Cartoon Network didn't air any content owned by Warner Bros. The UK and Ireland Cartoon Network didn't start until October of 1999 and then they were able to air Warner Bros. content. So, your list would be much different in that case.

Non- Warner Bros. content on your list includes:

2 Stupid Dogs
The Mask
Men in Black
The Pink Panther
The Real Ghostbusters
Droopy
Earthworm Jim

All of the other animated shows you listed never aired on the pan-European version of Cartoon Network. They could not have aired until October of 1999 when the UK and Ireland Cartoon Network launched. You probably saw those shows on other channels.

I will still give it to you that Cartoon Network was far better in Europe than Nickelodeon.

They definitely had CN here before 1999 here because I remember watching it.

Quote:
The United Kingdom was the first country to have a Cartoon Network headquarters outside of the United States in 1993, serving Western Europe, but did not have a country specific version until 1999. This was even though until 1999, the pan-European version only showed British advertisements

So basically I watched Western Europe CN before 1999 and since they only showed British adverts it basically made no difference because the brands that are sold on Mainland Britain are basically the same here.

Also as for Non-Warner Bros.

I can assure you 100% that 2 Stupid Dogs was shown on Cartoon Network. I am probably wrong about others. I'm nearly certain too that The Mask and Pink Panther was shown on CN too.

The others I probably saw on other channels. Men in Black I may have saw on Toon Disney.

We also had Boomerang so there was crossover there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programmes_broadcast_by_Cartoon_Network_%28UK_%26_Ireland%29

Yup, check above, The Mask was on it
Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Jul 22 2013 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Logan wrote:
Many of us have fond memories of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. Nickelodeon had such great shows as Ren And Stimpy, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, All That, Rocko's Modern Life, Kenan And Kel, Cat Dog, The Angry Beavers, etc. Cartoon Network had shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Cow And Chicken, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Courage The Cowardly Dog, and more. Nickelodeon obviously had the edge in live action shows, but many kids were introduced to the joys of anime with Cartoon Network's Toonami. I honestly can't decide between the two. Both were a huge part of my childhood.

You inadvertently give away your age from your examples. For example, I knew instantly that you had to still be in your teens, because I'm in my now late 20s and I was way too fucking old for courage the cowardly dog when it came out, and I had pretty much moved on from kids tv when kenan and kel was still in production. But I love ya, kid. Know why? Because you have given me an excuse to reminisce.

I would say for the 90s, Nickelodeon reined supreme. Cartoon Network didn't really gain ground until the end of the decade. It wasn't even carried on Phoenix AZ cable until around 97 I want to say, and the programming back then wasn't very good. Yes you had the few originals you listed like Powerpuff and Dexter, but the majority of airtime was reruns of old Hanna Barbara stuff. This wouldn't bad in and of itself, but it wasn't a huge variety either, and they reran the same episodes multiple times a day. I can recall wanting to watch CN 24/7 on summer break but knew there wasn't much point, as the four Scooby Doo eps I saw at 10am would be the same exact ones that would be on at 11pm. Other than that it was 2 Stupid Dogs and Secret Squirrel. I don't have very fond memories of Toonami if I don't have my rose colored glasses on. Speed Racer is a very shitty show.

Nickelodeon though? Man almost the whole decade it was my go to shit. I started out with Eureka's Castle and David the Gnome before I was even in kindergarten. I remember losing my shit because cablevision changed the channel it was on and I couldn't watch Eurekas. The programming just seemed to get better and better, and almost seemed to grow along with me. I mean, fucking Pete and Pete man! Does this face off even really need to occur since we acknowledged Pete and Pete? It IS the 90s. It's the entire 90s compressed down into one blur of absurdity.

If that wasn't enough, you had cartoons, you had game shows, you had sitcoms, you had horror, you had variety skit shows, I mean how do you even compare this to blocks of Morocco Mole rerun three times a day?

It's seriously a shame what has happened to both networks. Sure, part of it has to be me growing up, but they are just difficult to watch now. I don't even think I could watch anything on either with my kids that they now air, though my oldest does love Spongebob, and that's bearable. But it's not enjoyable.

I really really wish Viacom would give all that old Nickelodeon stuff proper dvd releases. Most of it is just dust in the wind now. I mean, am I the only person left alive who still remembers Welcome, Freshmen? Not that it was a classic or anything, but fuck it had some funny bits. Surely they could cash in on it.

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: Jul 23 2013 05:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jack Slater wrote:
Logan wrote:
Many of us have fond memories of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. Nickelodeon had such great shows as Ren And Stimpy, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, All That, Rocko's Modern Life, Kenan And Kel, Cat Dog, The Angry Beavers, etc. Cartoon Network had shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Cow And Chicken, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Courage The Cowardly Dog, and more. Nickelodeon obviously had the edge in live action shows, but many kids were introduced to the joys of anime with Cartoon Network's Toonami. I honestly can't decide between the two. Both were a huge part of my childhood.

You inadvertently give away your age from your examples. For example, I knew instantly that you had to still be in your teens, because I'm in my now late 20s and I was way too fucking old for courage the cowardly dog when it came out, and I had pretty much moved on from kids tv when kenan and kel was still in production. But I love ya, kid. Know why? Because you have given me an excuse to reminisce.

Yes, I am young compared to some of the other forumers. However, I'm almost out of my teens. I'll be 20 in October. I was around 5 or 6 when Courage came out. It's still one of my favorite CN shows of all time. And I love you too. Know why? I have no idea, but I do.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: Jul 23 2013 06:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jack Slater wrote:

It's seriously a shame what has happened to both networks. Sure, part of it has to be me growing up, but they are just difficult to watch now. I don't even think I could watch anything on either with my kids that they now air, though my oldest does love Spongebob, and that's bearable. But it's not enjoyable.

Dude, check out Regular Show and Adventure Time on Cartoon Network. Both are awesome shows. The Amazing World Of Gumball is also pretty good. If you stay up later on Saturdays, check out Sym-Bionic Titan. It's a shame that the show never got a second season as it's yet another amazing animated show from Genndy Tartakovsky (the creator of Dexter's Lab, Star Wars: Clone Wars (the 2d animated one), and of course, Samurai Jack). They're also playing Flapjack again (only reruns), as well as some of the '90s and '00s shows on Cartoon Planet and their spinoff channel Boomerang. Seriously, if you love '90s-mid '00s CN shows as well as the classic cartoons, then you will love Boomerang.

On Nickelodeon's side, they have Power Rangers Megaforce, The Legend Of Korra and TMNT. They also have reruns of Rugrats and Drake and Josh. Teen Nick has their '90s Are All That programming block every night, which is great, even if they play the same stuff. Nicktoons plays Yugioh (the original, Zexal can suck a dick and die) and Digimon, and some of the best of the '00s shows like Invader Zim, older SpongeBob and Fairly Oddparents (the less said about the newer episodes of both shows, the better, as they're ruining the legacy of both), Jimmy Neutron, Chalkzone, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Jul 23 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's the thing though, bro. Almost every show you listed was from past my time. I have like no connection to those at all. I think I'd already graduated high school by the time Drake and Josh premiered.

This is not to denigrate those shows you enjoy, not at all. If you dig em, more power to ya baby. I'm just saying I think I'm just too damn old to relate. I don't see those as entertainment that I could enjoy, I see them as something to shut my kids up for a hour. It's kinda sad, but I've accepted it.

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: Jul 28 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You may like Regular Show. It's geared more towards adults than other kids shows.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: May 10 2014 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://happykatana.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/nickelodeon-vs-cartoon-network-the-ultimate-deathmatch/

I attempt to settle the Cartoon Network vs. Nickelodeon debate once and for all. WARNING: MAY BE CONTROVERSIAL!

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: May 10 2014 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HardcoreGamer4Ever wrote:
You may like Regular Show. It's geared more towards adults than other kids shows.

As someone nearing his mid-thirties who gets high on a pretty frequent basis, I don't know what kind of adult audience that fucking show is aiming for. I watched a couple episodes with my nephew and didn't feel like I was 'getting it' until it was almost time for him to go home and I'd finished a handful of mood stabilizers. I still far prefer that, or really anything (even that fucking creepy baby-man Uncle Grandpa) to Adventure Time, which I'm pretty sure was made just to spite me.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: May 11 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
HardcoreGamer4Ever wrote:

As someone nearing his mid-thirties who gets high on a pretty frequent basis, I don't know what kind of adult audience that fucking show is aiming for. I watched a couple episodes with my nephew and didn't feel like I was 'getting it' until it was almost time for him to go home and I'd finished a handful of mood stabilizers. I still far prefer that, or really anything (even that fucking creepy baby-man Uncle Grandpa) to Adventure Time, which I'm pretty sure was made just to spite me.

Wait, did you... No, hold on a minute, did you just call Uncle Grandpa better than Adventure Time? I... I have no idea how to respond to this.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 11 2014 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To someone my age, Uncle Grandpa is better than Adventure Time. It's funnier and less "OMG LOLZ RANDOM" .

HardcoreGamer4Ever
PostPosted: May 11 2014 06:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
To someone my age, Uncle Grandpa is better than Adventure Time. It's funnier and less "OMG LOLZ RANDOM" .

Have you ever watched Uncle Grandpa? That whole show is "OMG LOLZ RANDOM". At least Adventure Time has a plot, good writing, and likable characters. Uncle Grandpa is simply random for the sake of being random. I do not see how anyone could call Adventure Time more "OMG LOLZ RANDOM" than Uncle Grandpa when that's literally all Uncle Grandpa is. Uncle Grandpa is one of the worst cartoons I've ever seen, and whoever created it deserves to be fired.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 11 2014 07:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're more than a decade younger than most of us. I get your tastes are more lined up with that age range, but you have to understand that older people just won't give a shit what you think is better, just like you don't really care what we think is better.

That said, Adventure Time just rubs a nerve with me. When I say the "OMG RANDOM" I mean that it appeals to that type of person more than anything else I've ever seen. It's just embarrassing to watch sometimes. Like the majority of Cartoon Network shows.

Reply to topic

Jump to: