"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Gear Pron

Reply to topic
Rake
Title: Guitarrorist
PostPosted: Sep 28 2012 09:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

There's probably one of these threads in here somewhere already, but I couldn't find it (easily) so here is a new one!

Post your smutty gear shots here, so we can all share our baby photos and talk geeky specs and techs! May that we can take out our metronomes and stoke in unison to them..

Minus my acoustic, the current line up of Shred Company \m/

They are:

A 1986 Ibanez Roadstar II in open C, facing the amp is an LTD 103-QM http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/mh-103qm.html in E standard, a Dean Dimebag Stealth in D standard, an LTD F-150 that needs a new neck and my Ibanez RG321MH in drop A.

Amp is a Randall RH-100 130W head and 300W cab. Will post my other shit is anyone seems interested!

Top 3 bands of the week

Alowishus
PostPosted: Sep 28 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah there is one of these threads out and about.

Drums.

Amps, yeah this side of my room has shit piled high lol. The product of being a student and doing ones thesis lol.

4 string bass, 6 string bass, 6 string electric, 6 string acoustic, one can of harp which i am currently drinking.

Guitar pedals - one distortion, one fuzz and one phase shifter.
TheThunderThief
PostPosted: Sep 29 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jesus Christ, where the fuck have you been hiding Rake? In other news: I've become far too lazy to search for the previous thread, or to look up one of the many tinypic accounts I have my images from said previous thread.

I've got a:

1986 Gibson Les Paul (Silverburst) in C
2004 Gibson Explorer (Classic White) in Standard
2005 Japanese Jackson Soloist in Drop D
1996 "50th anniversary" Stratocaster in Eb
2011 Warmoth FrankenGuitar in standard
2007 Ibanez SR500 Bass
and a 2011 PRS Custom 24 that's soon to be gone because my eyes were bigger than my wallet Sad

All run through one of the following:
Randall Warhead
Gen 1 Peavey 5150
Peavey Vypyr 30 watt combo

JRA
PostPosted: Oct 05 2012 03:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
Yeah there is one of these threads out and about.

Drums.

It looks like you have two ride cymbals.

I used to have a cherry red Yahama 5 piece drum kit. I eventually got an iron cobra double kick along two crashes and a ride, but it was so beat up/rarely got time to play it that I eventually sold it.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Oct 05 2012 05:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
It looks like you have two ride cymbals.

I used to have a cherry red Yahama 5 piece drum kit. I eventually got an iron cobra double kick along two crashes and a ride, but it was so beat up/rarely got time to play it that I eventually sold it.

On the left is a 20" Zildjian ZXT Ride.

On the right is a 18" Zildjian Z Custom Rock Crash.

Most of my kit isn't set up as i rarely play it so i have to set it up and take it down after playing. I could have stuck the toms on but i've grown to dislike them as my playing is more groove orientated and doesn't contain many fills.

I never took to double kick, it's a waste of time for me as it's not in my playing style and the style i enjoy playing in, it's not utilised in basically all the music i listen to and despite blast beats (which i have zero intention to ever play as it's dull noise) you can do enough with a single kick a la John Bonham:

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 05 2012 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
I never took to double kick, it's a waste of time for me as it's not in my playing style and the style i enjoy playing in, it's not utilised in basically all the music i listen to and despite blast beats (which i have zero intention to ever play as it's dull noise) you can do enough with a single kick a la John Bonham:

Agreed. I've played for almost 20 years and have zero desire to utilize a double kick. Almost everything I hear it in is just goofy and disguises an utter lack to actually utilize a regular kick like you're supposed to. It's lazy, basically, in my opinion. I know lots of death metal and the like use it, and that's fine or whatever, it's just not for me.

JRA
PostPosted: Oct 06 2012 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I guess you have to have a certain amount of extra energy to like double kick drums. I was growing up on Metallica, Priest, and Pantera who all had considerable amounts of double bass, so I had that passion in me. Even Neil Peart from Rush used double kicks, though certainly not for the backbeat that the speed/thrash bands would.

That being said, I wish I had that practice technique video you posted. Sure as shit would have made practicing Zeppelin songs alot easier.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Rake
Title: Guitarrorist
PostPosted: Nov 26 2012 04:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:

Agreed. I've played for almost 20 years and have zero desire to utilize a double kick. Almost everything I hear it in is just goofy and disguises an utter lack to actually utilize a regular kick like you're supposed to. It's lazy, basically, in my opinion. I know lots of death metal and the like use it, and that's fine or whatever, it's just not for me.

The fuck? Really?

I mean for triplets and d-beats single is always better. Even some metal guys are lazy in that they double kick blasts instead of using single, but for fast 16th and even 32nd note kicks it's anything but lazy, and utterly impossible to replicate with a single pedal.

I implore you to listen to this track in its entirety and tell me whether or not you maintain your standpoint of "laziness"

You'll have to give it a good 4 minutes before you start to hear the awesome extra kick beat in his "triplets" and the double pedal barrage in the outro is fucking incredible. If you dont bang your head to that, you dont have fuckin' ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bheSTLGP8

Top 3 bands of the week

JRA
PostPosted: Nov 26 2012 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bump

Alowishus
PostPosted: Nov 26 2012 06:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rake wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:

The fuck? Really?

I mean for triplets and d-beats single is always better. Even some metal guys are lazy in that they double kick blasts instead of using single, but for fast 16th and even 32nd note kicks it's anything but lazy, and utterly impossible to replicate with a single pedal.

I implore you to listen to this track in its entirety and tell me whether or not you maintain your standpoint of "laziness"

You'll have to give it a good 4 minutes before you start to hear the awesome extra kick beat in his "triplets" and the double pedal barrage in the outro is fucking incredible. If you dont bang your head to that, you dont have fuckin' ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bheSTLGP8

I'm conflicted on this.

Double kick gets to a stage where the speed becomes irrelevant. It's just a blur of notes and sounds like shit, to me personally anyway.

Double kick can be extremely lazy. What i was referring to in my post anyway is where a drummer plays double kick which can be played on a single kick.

LRLRLRLR on double kick can easily be replicated on single kick to a great speed. Even triplets can be replicated fairly well. If you use the correct technique aka heel-toe you can play single kick extremely fast and depending on the artist to the speed that you can see some metal drummers play.

Although it sounds highly unrealistic it is possible and i doubt many people can do it. I mean for me personally it is not something i aspire to because double kick sounds pretty boring to me like i said in my previous post and the genres of music i play are more groove related and double kick doesn't really allow for much groove music.

I usually refer to this guy because he's one of the drummers these days who there are a lot of examples of ridiculous single kick playing.

Like from 1:24-1:50 is pretty high speed but to me just that playing under straight 8ths or whatever is extremely shit.

To understand what i mean, take the drums in the intro to this song:

Boring as fuck at whatever speed it's played.

The other thing i hate about double kick is that it's always heralded as being the most amazing thing ever by non-drummers. Especially guitarists.

I can't begin to count the number of times i've heard guitarists say to their drummers in their metal band to play using double kick because it's so synonymous with metal that every drummer MUST play that way in that style of music.

It's absolutely ludicrous. Don't get me wrong. Double kick can be done well. I mean i am not a fan but i've heard a few Lamb of God songs were the kick was decent, however that doesn't change the fact that the kick could be played on a single one for that song.

The other thing is speed and i can vouch for this because i used to be like this myself when i first picked up drums. The people who think to be a good musician is to be able to play fast. That is bullshit.

This i've seen is pretty common as well with metal musicians. Oh you have to play x bpm and you have to play it using double kick because your the drummer.

Again, ludicrous. It is so overdone and is so uninspired these days.

Sure in 1983 it was hot shit but now i hear it and i'm like "oh it's this again".

Music is about good songwriting and not how fast you can play or if you use double kick.

EDIT: and i listened to that song. It is exactly what i talked about above.

I mean the song was actually decent but then it just had the generic stupid double kick shit.

Listen from 4:25 to 4:35 see those random blast beats? They are not needed at ALL in the song. The tempo of the song is not as fast as that double kick so it sounds really out of place.

It seems to be to just be stuck in there because "oh look its a metal song and ergo it's required". The drums to me in this song do not belong in this song.

See if i was the drummer on that song do you know what i would have put instead of
ten thousand bass drum hits? I would have put a single hit. The drums really do ruin the song. I really can't get over this.

Again hit 6:19 there's that boring, souless drone of bass drum again. It's just the same shit over and over. I really can't stand it.

Drumming isn't meant to be a showcase of your skill or how fast you play (as with any instrument). It is about writing the part which complements the song and the drumming in that song does not compliment the bass, vocals or guitar which is actually decent.

Fair enough if you like it but i think it's truly dreadful and in that song particularly so. I remember Rake speaking to you when Diamond Eyes came out.

Imagine if Deftones just threw repetitive LRLRLR over parts of their songs. It would sound fucking terrible don't you think?
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 26 2012 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's just my main thing, is that double kick requires no skill. I've used it plenty, and it made me fucking bored. I wasn't challenged at all like I would be trying to do something complicated and intricate on a single kick, it's distracting, regularly too loud and at LEAST 7 times out of 10, is not needed.

For the music that DOES use double kick, meaning where the song is that fast and a double kick is useful, I have no problem with it at all, even though it's not my kind of music. Do whatever, I just have no use for something that makes drumming easier while filling the rest of a song with unneeded noise.

Mick Bynes
Title: The Death Metal God
PostPosted: Dec 06 2012 03:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yup check out my gear!

I do not have that Explorer anymore. I sold that and I bought new pickups for the BC Rich Warlock.

That's an old setup.... I still have that amp. I do not use that effects pedal anymore, I used a Boss Metal Zone pedal. now.

This is the most recent guitar I purchased. A Jackson King V. I also bought a Yamaha steel string guitar. I never owned a steel string guitar until this year and I rarely play it... it is currently in the trunk of my car.

I also have a PA with microphone and microphone stand as well.

Reply to topic

Jump to: