[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Reply to topic
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Aug 09 2012 09:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

$8,596,475. Congratulations, everyone.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Aug 09 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now just wait for this trainwreck to land.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Aug 09 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And for our contacts in Cuba and the Cayman Islands to report on the new millionaires from L.A.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 10 2012 02:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Square-Enix has confirmed that they'll support Final Fantasy 3 (the actual one, not the US SNES one) for this platform.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 10 2012 07:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's random. Why FF3? Why not FF1? Or FF anything else?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 04 2013 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

I won't sum up every part, go read the review, but I'll throw up the summary:

"For $99, everyone who backed Ouya's Kickstarter has unwittingly signed up to beta-test a game console. Alpha-test, even: this is a product with some good ideas and a potentially promising future, but it's a million miles away from something worth spending your money on. Even if the concept is right, the Ouya misses the mark. The controller needs work, the interface is a mess, and have I mentioned there's really nothing to do with the thing? I'm not even sure the concept is right, either: there are plenty of fun Android games, but currently few that work well with a controller and even fewer that look good on your television."

"To its credit, the company says loudly and often that this is only the beginning of a long road for Ouya — and I'll be watching its progress with interest. But the device is currently being sold as a product, not a prototype, and that's just wrong. Ouya isn't a viable gaming platform, or a good console, or even a nice TV interface. I don't know what it is, but until Ouya figures it out, it's not worth $99."

My outlook: I think Ouya is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It became popular because it was proposed at the height of the Kickstarter phase, and that's pretty much it. Why do I wanna play the "these games are barely entertaining enough for me to play while getting my oil changed/taking a crap" games on my TV? Is the target demographic just app developers? That's not enough people to make a profit as a company. Why did they even do this? I think it was just an extremely naive thing to even try.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Apr 05 2013 08:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Ouya Developers,

Yours Sincerely

Alowishus

P.S. HO HO HO HO, HA HA HA
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 17 2013 09:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats to everyone who bought into one of these. You purchased a console with the same OS and less power than last generation's smart phones:

Have Fun!

http://kotaku.com/the-ouya-is-the-78th-fastest-android-device-on-the-pl-474001439
Greg the White
PostPosted: Apr 17 2013 06:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, I follow the OUYA thread on the SA forums once in a while, and the thing seems like a clusterfuck. Far as I can tell, some out-of-touch Business Degree saw smart-phone games taking off two years ago and decided this generation needed an equivalent of those old "250+ GAMES IN ONE!" handhelds you'd see in catalogues next to Big Johnson t-shirts. It's not a horrible idea. If you're on a budget, and only want to snatch up some small games for your kids or something, that's cool, but I have no idea who this thing is really supposed to sell to.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

The Opponent
PostPosted: Apr 17 2013 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

People fed up with traditional consoles who don't need big budget graphicgasms to be entertained yet still want to hold onto their televisions.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 17 2013 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
People fed up with not being able to play their emulators on their TV and aren't smart enough to figure out any other way to do it other than buy overpriced phone technology from a year ago.

Fixed that for you.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Apr 17 2013 09:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's definitely a really cool concept, but I have yet to see any games that would make interested in buying one.

The Opponent
PostPosted: Apr 18 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
The-Excel wrote:
People fed up with not being able to play their emulators on their TV and aren't smart enough to figure out any other way to do it other than buy overpriced phone technology from a year ago.

Fixed that for you.

I always forget that emulators exist on phones. I'm such a diehard for buttons that I've blocked out the notion.

The Opponent
PostPosted: Jun 25 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Ouya is officially released and the reviews are in.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-ouya-is-a-nice-idea-at-least-256954.phtml
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420825,00.asp
http://gameandcook.com/post/52060573475/ouya-review-thus-far

If you want one, good luck finding one. 's sold out all over the internet.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jun 25 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

The Opponent
PostPosted: Jun 25 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wanted to post that one but that's a pre-release model.

GeorgeTaylor
Title: Miss Madness 99
PostPosted: Jun 28 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Congrats to everyone who bought into one of these. You purchased a console with the same OS and less power than last generation's smart phones:

Yeah, I never understood why gamers got so excited about this console when I first heard about it

to me its basically being able to play smartphone games on your TV.

I think it uses a low power ARM processor which is too weak to tackle the kinda games PS3/360 users are use to so its really for a niche market IMHO

On the brightside it might spark some developers to make some Mincraft/Terraria
type games for it that are simple yet fun. The Tegra 3 can do 1080p AVC MP4 so that is appealing somehow for HTPC users. I see some potential down the line with it.

If someone hacks it so it can be a 8 bit/16 bit emulator that would slightly interest me to purchase one( According to some reports it looks like someone has gotten SMB to play on it).

utahpunk
Title: Sir!
PostPosted: Jun 28 2013 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From what I understand this thing allows you to add emulators for the classic consoles (SNES/Sega/NES, etc) and play them through this.

If I didn't already have emulators on my PSP and Wii I may consider getting something like this to relive the classic games on the big screen.

......I'm not even supposed to be here today!

The Opponent
PostPosted: Jul 01 2019 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.badgamehalloffame.com/blog/ouya/

Quote:
On May 22nd, 2019, the announcement was made that the OUYA’s online services would be shut down in just a month’s time thereafter. For a platform relying entirely on digital downloads to populate [and authenticate] it’s library of games, this spelled the death knell for a piece of hardware which had already spent the past four years in a state of dormancy and disrepair. In the minds of many, the only “surprise” element to this short-notice shutdown was the fact that it hadn’t already happened sooner. The cessation of service for OUYA serves as the predictable punchline to what had become an inside gag within the games industry — the expected ending of a stage play tragedy. In a word: “Inevitable.”

But the OUYA didn’t debut on the scene as an immediately doomed endeavor. Far from it; it’s beginnings are that of one of the most successful Kickstarter projects of all time, and its expected impact on the games business was to be immense. An attached tagline dared consumers to dream: “What if you could press a button, and reset the entire video game industry?” But of course, that dream would quickly be dashed, along with any other hopes for it as a sustainable fourth competitor in the ongoing console wars. Instead, the questions we’re left to ask ourselves are where it all went wrong, and if anything could’ve been done to avoid this unfortunate fate?

Reply to topic

Jump to: