[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Moving the IRC Channel

Reply to topic
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: May 01 2012 01:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin wrote:
If you'd rather make the community happy, please put your seal of approval on this move and let us get started, Syd.

Mr. Satire
Title: No title necessary.
PostPosted: May 01 2012 02:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I should mention that I did try out SynIRC. I did get disconnected a few times (about once a night), but they were the usual disconnects caused by my ISP having a brief screwup. Just like in DALnet.

However, in DALnet I do occasionally get disconnected for no reason, but it is quite rare, and I mostly attributed it to Windows being glitchy as usual. I have yet to experience this kind of disconnect on SynIRC that I know of, but if it does happen more often than I would like, I will tell. All I really want from a server though is a non-shit NickServ implementation and quick connect times. I am getting the latter, but haven't checked out the former.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 01 2012 07:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

ircs://irc.us.synirc.net:7001

Wow... that was a fast login. I love the fact that they have an alias that turns around only US based servers .

I can verify that an SSL based connection went smoothly.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 01 2012 09:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

So wait, what's the deal? You guys went ahead and did the ONE THING that I specifically asked you guys not to do, without even looking into the two servers I suggested? Fuck y'all.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: May 01 2012 09:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
So wait, what's the deal? You guys went ahead and did the ONE THING that I specifically asked you guys not to do

We haven't moved anywhere, people are just trying out new servers. The main reason we want a new network for #sydlexia is for better stability, and that's impossible to know without just hanging around on a server for a while. We're still waiting for your okay before we move.
Syd Lexia wrote:
without even looking into the two servers I suggested? Fuck y'all.

Captain_Pollution wrote:
I really wouldn't want to move to a network without NickServ, which rules out QuakeNet and Undernet.

We agreed the first day we were talking about this that we needed certain features, and the two you suggested don't have them.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 01 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
So wait, what's the deal? You guys went ahead and did the ONE THING that I specifically asked you guys not to do, without even looking into the two servers I suggested? Fuck y'all.

Nothing has even been moved, dude. Jesus Christ.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 01 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

Two notes:
* The servers you suggested were definitely looked into. They do not support the infrastructure features that an IRC chatroom for a community requires.

* While it isn't the largest network, synIRC is a large IRC service. They have 12+ globally distributed servers and are ranked in the top 20 IRC networks by size.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 01 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

How about DarkMyst? They have NickServ and ChanServ, and they have a cool name. The server was founded primarily for RPG and gaming communities, the latter of which I would say describes us. They also openly welcome other communities.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 01 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

In defense to synIRC, it starts with sy and so does Syd.

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: May 01 2012 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

I don't recall you ever specifically asking us not to even join another server to test it out, and I don't know how we're supposed to test out a server without actually joining it. While in the SynIRC server, I talked to people and got all the questions answered on the stuff we're looking for, and simply sat on the server doing /nothing/ to test its stability. If you know another way to test a server's stability, I'm all ears. I was in there with Beldantazar, MrSatire for a while, GPF on occasion, and Vald since last night. It was hardly a full-fledged move.

Just went into DarkMyst to check it out, and it also has everything we're looking for. We can start the stability testing now, we'll get back to you in a couple of days to let you know how stable it is (given that stability is the most important thing on our list, since DALnet's terrible stability is what we're trying to get away from). I'm just curious why we're starting this process over again after we've already found and tested one that fits everything on our criteria list, particularly given that DarkMyst is a smaller network than synIRC.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 01 2012 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Their website says they're very stable, here's hoping its true.

And no, I never said you guys couldn't move. I was never against that. I did however take exception to what appeared to be a renewed discussion about moving to Shardea's friend's server, a specific move which I had said in no uncertain terms that I was not okay with at any time or in any capacity.
Fernin
PostPosted: May 01 2012 02:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shardea's server is the Frogbox server, not the synIRC server. The synIRC server is one of the two that Puff suggested we take a look at.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: May 01 2012 02:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 01 2012 03:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMyst SSL Access:
ircs://irc.darkmyst.net:6697

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 01 2012 03:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In any case, while I appreciate the enthusiasm, let me handle server selection. If DarkMyst doesn't work out, let me know and I will find an alternative. I am not currently soliciting suggestions.
Fernin
PostPosted: May 01 2012 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So far, DarkMyst does seem to be working just fine, and it does fit all of the requirements. I think it is currently our best option.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: May 01 2012 03:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin, Crazy Bastard, myself and others have been hanging out on the DarkMyst server, and it doesn't appear that anyone has randomly disconnected or run into any other snags.

I certainly don't understand the inner workings behind IRC, but from what I've seen and listening to Fernin's comments, I believe DarkMyst will work.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: May 01 2012 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yay compromise
mjkefka
PostPosted: May 03 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have noticed the few times I go in there I get dced more than usual. Granted I use the webclient. How would a move affect the webclient?
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 03 2012 02:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kefka!

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

justdrop
PostPosted: May 03 2012 06:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

mjkefka wrote:
I have noticed the few times I go in there I get dced more than usual. Granted I use the webclient. How would a move affect the webclient?

During one test it took a fraction of the time to connect, and disconnects would be just as infrequent as they would using mIRC.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: May 03 2012 07:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPF was doing some tests with web client yesterday... and it was fucking awesome. Fast connection time, plus there were some sweet extra features.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 03 2012 07:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

justdrop wrote:
mjkefka wrote:

During one test it took a fraction of the time to connect, and disconnects would be just as infrequent as they would using mIRC.

Test it for yourself.

http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/irc.php - At the bottom of the page there is a test login button.

Remember this is just a test.

Some facts about the new web client:
* It does not mask your IP address - It will be harder to pretend that you are someone else and it will be easier to moderate users.
* It does connect using SSL - What you type is encrypted. Snoopers will know that you have connected through the web client, but will not be able to read your session info.
* It can't and won't work with DALnet, so this is a new option for us.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 03 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was in the new room earlier and noticed there were no ops. What's up with that?
justdrop
PostPosted: May 03 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Whoever was an op there left while other non-ops are still there so the channel is unregistered. Whenever the testing is done and I believe when you give the okay, one of the current DALnet ops will register it.

Reply to topic

Jump to: