SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Walking Dead comic

Reply to topic
chazzlabs
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since everyone was talking in the TV thread about creating a comic thread, I searched around, but I couldn't find one. Before I say anything, are we assuming everyone in this thread has read all or most of the comics, and we don't need to worry about spoiling anything?
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say except for the last, I dunno, three most recent issues or whatever, spoiler away. It's long running enough that the spoiler clock has run out as far as I'm concerned. Except, like I said, for the latest issues. Anything regarding new ones should go in spoiler tags imho.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lasher
Title: an horse
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate the new thread, but I'm bursting to talk about the latest issue and the TV show - spoilers be damned. I was considering starting 'The Spoiled Thread of Walking Dead'. I just started reading Rise of the Governor but the writing itself is so cliche and making i hard to get into.

get your ass to mars

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 01:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
I appreciate the new thread, but I'm bursting to talk about the latest issue and the TV show - spoilers be damned. I was considering starting 'The Spoiled Thread of Walking Dead'. I just started reading Rise of the Governor but the writing itself is so cliche and making i hard to get into.

Oh I don't think discussing the newest issues are a problem--just consider using spoiler tags for those of us who've read the comics and want to participate, but only get monthly shipments. Smile

militarysignatures.com

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Done. Let's murder it.

Let's just say for now - we don't talk about #93 until #94 is out for example? Sound fair?

get your ass to mars

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 02:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to start with how this TV show is making me go out of my fucking mind! I've been watching in horror since the decent pilot - right up until the episode where they finally find Sophia. I don't mean good horror. Has anyone else just been watching and praying like me?

Don't get me wrong. I DON'T want it to be panel for panel. Changing things that happen is cool by me - but don't fuck with the essence. Andrea being retarded and shooting Daryl? WTF was the point of that base thing in episode 6?

TV Spoiler:
[SPOILER:ed27b3245d]On Talking Dead, it shows that next episode Carl FINALLY gets handed a gun by Rick - so I'm assuming how the season is going to end is bringing it back into comic book territory[/SPOILER:ed27b3245d]

Where the fuck is Tyrese already? Is he the guy whose daughters were raped by the other group (like that hostage kid said)

I highly doubt Merle is the Governor. That would be lame, but I hope we see him again.

Edit: Do you put your trust in Jesus?

get your ass to mars

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've only read up to the newest trade paperback, so I'm behind by 3 or 4 issues I think, but I'm not that concerned with it being spoiled. I might try to get to a comic shop to see if they've got them in stock.

I'm a little disappointed to hear your opinion of Rise of the Governor. I got it for Christmas and am going to start it soon.

I think the next couple of episodes are going to be intense. I'm hoping that we find out that what Jenner told Rick at the CDC is that everyone's already infected.

The Governor isn't Merle. I'm almost positive that it was released that they'd found someone to play the Governor on the show. I'm thinking we haven't seen the last of the Randall's group and that Merle might be one of them. But Merle losing his hand is such a perfect motivation for him or someone else eventually chopping Rick's hand off.
Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 02:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don't get me wrong. I'm going to read ROTG... It's just that the guys writing style feels so forced to me. Like Kirkman hired this guy to make his comic book plot fill up more pages - paint the pictures if you will, and it just feels too schooled the way he describes smeones hair and shit like that.

You might be right about the infection/CDC - but what's wrong with finding that out when someone gets up that hasn't been bitten? Seems redundant. Maybe he whispered 'I see dead people'.

get your ass to mars

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 02:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

chazzlabs wrote:
The Governor isn't Merle. I'm almost positive that it was released that they'd found someone to play the Governor on the show. I'm thinking we haven't seen the last of the Randall's group and that Merle might be one of them. But Merle losing his hand is such a perfect motivation for him or someone else eventually chopping Rick's hand off.

I think having Merle become such an important character would have pissed me off a little; I'm glad they aren't going to be one in the same. I fully expect Merle to be part of his band though.

Is it weird that for some reason I keep thinking Daryl is actually going to be the one to take Rick's hand? I know that makes no sense, but--given the way the visions of his brother were egging him on in that one ep--I think it could work very well. Maybe Merle is really dead, and Daryl will go over to the Gov's side. That would suck, but it would suck so good.

militarysignatures.com

chazzlabs
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
You might be right about the infection/CDC - but what's wrong with finding that out when someone gets up that hasn't been bitten?

Well, I guess I didn't mean we'll necessary find out that everyone's infected that way, but our finding out about it will lead Rick to tell everyone he already knows because Jenner told him. On the show when Shane and Rick found the two officers' bodies who had turned but didn't seem to be bitten, I think that was a huge hint that we're going to find out soon.

Quote:
Is it weird that for some reason I keep thinking Daryl is actually going to be the one to take Rick's hand? I know that makes no sense, but--given the way the visions of his brother were egging him on in that one ep--I think it could work very well. Maybe Merle is really dead, and Daryl will go over to the Gov's side. That would suck, but it would suck so good.

That would make for a huge dramatic conflict, but have they really referenced those visions Daryl had? I think it would be confusing if they had the vision episode, didn't mention it for a while, and then sometime in the future decided to have Daryl turn on the group because of the visions.
Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 09:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

chazzlabs wrote:

On the show when Shane and Rick found the two officers' bodies who had turned but didn't seem to be bitten, I think that was a huge hint that we're going to find out soon.

You know, I was so focused on that exact idea in that scene - I totally missed the point about the fact the two guys were in uniform until Kevin Smith talked about it after.

get your ass to mars

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since we're discussing the comic and how it intersects with the show here, my question is thus: when Michonne inevitably shows up (if she doesn't, fuck the TV series, I'm done with it; she's one of the star characters in the comics and possibly one of the best and most realistic female protagonists in comics of the past decade), how do they possibly handle what happened to her at the hands of (and what she did in return to) the Governor? My thought is that it all happens off-screen, but that definitely takes away some of the visceral "he got what was coming" sensation from her rip-roaring revenge.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 09 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think there is absolutely no possibility that Michonne not be in the show. She is a favorite from the books. They will definitely put her in.

But I agree. There's a fuck ton of stuff that I just don't see ever being allowed on TV. My thoughts go to when Carl kills Ben. They don't even have the twins in the show. I thought that was one of the greatest arcs. We'll see I guess. AMC have been good at pushing the limits so far.

get your ass to mars

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 10 2012 03:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
I think there is absolutely no possibility that Michonne not be in the show. She is a favorite from the books. They will definitely put her in.

But I agree. There's a fuck ton of stuff that I just don't see ever being allowed on TV. My thoughts go to when Carl kills Ben. They don't even have the twins in the show. I thought that was one of the greatest arcs. We'll see I guess. AMC have been good at pushing the limits so far.

My biggest complaint is how Dale went out, to be honest. He went out like a total chump in the series, and was more or less a waste of a character. In the comics, though... my hat was off to the guy.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Mar 10 2012 03:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

chazzlabs wrote:

Wishful thinking on my part, and the hand thing is why. It gives him motive.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:

My biggest complaint is how Dale went out, to be honest. He went out like a total chump in the series, and was more or less a waste of a character. In the comics, though... my hat was off to the guy.

He didn't really do much in the book though either. They even made a point of how useless he was in a few issues. He was like, the last thing keeping Andrea from being full bad ass.

Edit: I ask again for those up and current (Q&A in spoilers for those not fully caught up)

[SPOILER:fe4c1e8f92]Do you put your trust in Jesus?
I'm freaking out waiting to see what happens![/SPOILER:fe4c1e8f92]

get your ass to mars

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 03:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

chazzlabs wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

That would make for a huge dramatic conflict, but have they really referenced those visions Daryl had? I think it would be confusing if they had the vision episode, didn't mention it for a while, and then sometime in the future decided to have Daryl turn on the group because of the visions.

Oh I don't think they'll have him turn out of nowhere--I think it'll be a slow burn, much like the Shane thing was. And honestly, the Governor is so damn awful that being around him would probably cause anyone to loose a couple points of morality, and Daryl seems like he's been set up as the next prime candidate.

militarysignatures.com

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
aeonic wrote:

He didn't really do much in the book though either. They even made a point of how useless he was in a few issues. He was like, the last thing keeping Andrea from being full bad ass.

Edit: I ask again for those up and current (Q&A in spoilers for those not fully caught up)

Have to disagree with you there, although yes, people talked about how useless he was in the episodes. In case someone's just picking it up, I'll spoilertag my reasons why he wasn't.
[SPOILER:0b093d9bd1] So, here's a list of reasons why Dale wasn't useless; he is now, but that's 'cause he dead.
He saved Amy and Andrea before things even started.
Saved Donna from being bitten by a zombie, discovered decapitation doesn't kill them completely in the process.
Saved every living person in Whitfield Estates by getting to the RV and picking them up off the rooftops.
Found the prison with Andrea after the RV ran out of gas when they left Atlanta.
Helped repair the fences, came up with the 'knife/hammer' trick for the roamers outside of them.
Patched up Rick and Andrea after Thomas attacked.
Helped Rick find the prison generator.
Poisoned the hunters as a last 'fuck you'[/SPOILER:0b093d9bd1]

If that's useless, well, what does that make Lori?

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

From the TV thread;

Lasher wrote:
Now that Shane is dead though, I think it's OK to relate to the comics of things already passed. It's not spoiling anything for the show, and I think it's relevent to future scenarios of what they will and wont do when it comes to pushing the boundaries.

aeonic wrote:
I highly doubt that they'll have Shane/Lori chestburster baby.
I wasn't crowbar'ing anything in. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at Lasher, who made the 'big reveal' of what I'd mentioned on the previous page of this thread, sans spoilers.

There's a big fucking difference there.

Edit: I think I might just stay the fuck out of that other thread. Everyone is on their zambie period.

aeonic: I was refering to this;
[SPOILER:521ac394f9]
Image[/SPOILER:521ac394f9]

get your ass to mars

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lasher wrote:
From the TV thread;

Lasher wrote:
Now that Shane is dead though, I think it's OK to relate to the comics of things already passed. It's not spoiling anything for the show, and I think it's relevent to future scenarios of what they will and wont do when it comes to pushing the boundaries.

aeonic wrote:
I highly doubt that they'll have Shane/Lori chestburster baby.
I wasn't crowbar'ing anything in. If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at Lasher, who made the 'big reveal' of what I'd mentioned on the previous page of this thread, sans spoilers.

There's a big fucking difference there.

Sorry Lasher, not trying to get into shit with you, but wrong thread, and we both know that in the comics [SPOILER:8ac73af663] Judith never bursts out of Lori's chest and eats her.[/SPOILER:8ac73af663]. I think you meant to put different text in there, the part about [SPOILER:8ac73af663]Carl shooting Shane in the neck, can't be too careful with what gets revealed where[/SPOILER:8ac73af663]. As far as apologies, I've done enough of that today, even in that thread. Shouldn't even have brought you into it, that's about all I can give.

Edit- If they can guess that from a conversation that was related, specifically, to the idea that [SPOILER:8ac73af663]Judith[/SPOILER:8ac73af663] would [SPOILER:8ac73af663]be miscarried[/SPOILER:8ac73af663] and pop out of Lori's fucking stomach because [SPOILER:8ac73af663]she[/SPOILER:8ac73af663] ate through Lori's womb, they should never be expecting to be surprised or caught off guard by anything, ever, because they are the smartest and most deductive fuckers alive, although I can see someone pitching a fit and saying I'd put that in there on purpose, which was clearly not my intent based on the context of the situation. I wasn't even hinting at that, I was talking about a baby doing a facehugger spawn imitation and gnawing through some uterus and killing the host/parent because it was developed enough to have teeth and nails grown in before zombifying in the womb. I can see where you'd get it, in retrospect. Fuck me, man. I'm just going to limit my responses there to "X was cool on the show".

Edit 2- Seriously, I wish I were that subtle, but I still wouldn't have done that.

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
I'm just going to limit my responses there to "X was cool on the show". .

I concur. Klimbatz gets especially emo about it. Didn't spoil shit either. Bah! I'll just lurk that thread and post in here.

Found a funny though:

And a study that says spoilers make it /better/.
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

get your ass to mars

justdrop
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 05:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

The spoiler apparently was that Carl shot Shane "in the throat" Rolling Eyes

Just a thought: Where he was shot at in a comic or in a show isn't a spoiler if you saw him get shot in one or the other. Agree/disagree?

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was nice to see someone be considerate and take the comic book discussion to it's rightful forum, and I was going to avoid this thread because I may read the comic in the near future. However, someone tipped me off that I should check this thread out.

I'm going to try to make this as clear as possible, and I would appreciate it if people who disagree with me would read what I write here and not just scan over it. Readings Iz Funn after all. There is a huge point being missed by certain people who have a problem with me.

The Walking Dead thread in the Television forum is about the show, and not discussing the differences between the show and the comic. This is important because people could accidentally spoil something, or give us hints about what to expect in the future.

We (not just me) asked that people not discuss the comic at all in the television thread because you could inadvertently spoil something for the show.
justdrop wrote:
The spoiler apparently was that Carl shot Shane "in the throat" Rolling Eyes

That's not the point, but you know that, don't you?

It's not about the last specific thing that aeonic brought up. In fact, if you looked at my response to him...

http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=348497#348497

...I wasn't upset that he "spoiled" something, because he obviously hadn't, it was that he crowbarred in AGAIN some random shit about the comics when we've asked people not do that. aeonic even admitted to me in the chat that he made a mistake and had slipped. Please read my response again carefully to figure out my point. Do I say anywhere in there that how Shane was killed was a spoiler? No, I don't. justdrop is trying to twist this into an argument about whether it's a spoiler and trying to put me on the losing side of it. He does this in the chat and multiple threads all over this forum because he's a troll. He enjoys fighting apparently, and what better way to keep it going then by deliberately misrepresenting what people say.

The argument isn't whether something is or isn't a spoiler. The argument is why do people insist on talking about the comic when they had previously respectfully been given a reasonable request? Most people understood this and I thank them for taking the suggestions of using spoiler tags or using a different thread. I'm still amazed that certain people keep fighting that point, though. And I'm not "emo" about it, or crying. I just enjoy a show and don't want shit spoiled because I, like many, do not actively seek out extra info about a show I know I'm going to watch. I just want to go into a thread and discuss it with other people who have no idea what to expect down the road. That's what that thread is for, not discussing the differences between the show and the comic. Again, I appreciate most of you understanding that and taking the conversation elsewhere.

Hate to troll this thread, but if you don't want me to respond don't bitch about me like a sewing circle. If you want to actually discuss the comic in here, leave my name out of it. I suggest you just drop it, justdrop and not try to recruit your buddies in some stupid campaign. Try actually sticking to topic at hand rather than starting another fight. We both know that won't happen though.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

justdrop
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tl;dr

Lasher
PostPosted: Mar 15 2012 01:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alright Klimbatize, fair enough. Apologies for the emo comment. We're here now. No comics stuff from me in the TV thread. Smile

get your ass to mars

Reply to topic

Jump to: