"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Progressive Rock

Reply to topic
Rake
Title: Guitarrorist
PostPosted: Mar 22 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Buzz is right about Porcupine Tree. They are a band that anyone who likes a "progressive" sub genre of music, be it rock, metal or whatever, needs to listen to. The catalogue spans almost the entire repertoire of prog in all its incarnations, but over the span of 10 studio albums and over four times as many minor releases.

The brain behind it all, Steven Wilson, is in my opinion one of the few remaining heroes of genuine musical ingenuity and rectitude in this plastic age, and accordingly he's been in my every forum signature I've had since I made my first internet alias. At mention of Opeth, its worth noting that Opeths better releases were produced by and featured vocal, guitar and keyboard contributions by Wilson, who was contacted by Mikael (Opeth's hindmost) who made the request himself as an enormous Porcupine Tree fan.

His solo stuff is every bit as good as Porcupine Tree, and you'll be a richer man for listening to it!

Top 3 bands of the week

Alowishus
PostPosted: Mar 22 2012 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Alowishus wrote:
Oh wait technically Tool are Prog Metal.

I've been getting back into Tool a lot lately, and I've seen the prog rock title used to describe them. Besides their songs being long & meandering, I didn't really see them that way since their music is more hardcore than the traditional melodic prog rock of the 70s or whenever. "Prog metal" as you say does sound a hell of a lot more appropriate then to me. I still think of them more as industrial, though.

I forgot to reply to this!

Yeah to be honest i don't really like referring to them as Progressive Metal. I always think of them as Alternative Metal but a lot of people seem to refer to them as Prog.

Also i defo see why you say industrial.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Mar 22 2012 09:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rake wrote:
Buzz is right about Porcupine Tree. They are a band that anyone who likes a "progressive" sub genre of music, be it rock, metal or whatever, needs to listen to. The catalogue spans almost the entire repertoire of prog in all its incarnations, but over the span of 10 studio albums and over four times as many minor releases.

The brain behind it all, Steven Wilson, is in my opinion one of the few remaining heroes of genuine musical ingenuity and rectitude in this plastic age, and accordingly he's been in my every forum signature I've had since I made my first internet alias. At mention of Opeth, its worth noting that Opeths better releases were produced by and featured vocal, guitar and keyboard contributions by Wilson, who was contacted by Mikael (Opeth's hindmost) who made the request himself as an enormous Porcupine Tree fan.

His solo stuff is every bit as good as Porcupine Tree, and you'll be a richer man for listening to it!

Whoa, Rake. You're posting again? Good to see you back in action, bro.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Reply to topic

Jump to: