"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Without Further Adieu...

Reply to topic
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Nov 21 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While many of you I enjoy the company of, ones that I can hold as friends or at least talk to, a pair of jackasses have finally pushed me to the point of fuck.

http://blip.tv/freyjador/how-to-run-an-irc-5756230

There you go. Any questions?
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Nov 21 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

for those that didn't watch all of it: I'm not bashing everyone in the IRC just the head op and his goons.
As for the site and the rest of the forums, it's awesome people are great, just two asshole ruined it for me.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Nov 21 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well would you look at that

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Nov 21 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quit being so sensitive. Just because two people didn't like your LP's doesn't mean you need to go cry and run.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 01:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:

Yea, am I a Goon?

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I feel the need to reply to this for some reason, if only to correct a few misconceptions.

1 - Fernin did not create the #sydlexia chat room. GPFontaine did, with full support from Syd. I was made an op later on when it was suggested we needed some at night to take care of some trolls (for the record, I didn't ask for it. It was discussed, Rycona was suggested, and Syd appointed me as well). Fernin got ops as recognition for creating the chatbot and to make it easier for him to run it, and he re-registered the room when Syd didn't log on for a while and let the ownership lapse.

2 - You may be a little confused about what a chat room is. Everyone has the right to say something, moderator or not. And no, neither Fernin nor I feel we are always right and never wrong. I've admitted to being wrong on several occasions, and so has he. I don't remember any time we've shot anyone down because of a differing opinion (except maybe as a joke). And speaking of which, you never seemed to get a lot of the kicks I made were jokes. If it bothered you, you could have let me know about it, like a mature adult, kind of like the other mature adults did.

3 - You seem to be a bit confused on who exactly runs the IRC. I like to think I do, but truthfully it's really kind of a joint effort between myself and Fernin, overseen by Syd and with input from the rest of the chat. And for the record, I'm not a furry.

4 - Not a smart idea to throw out the "You live with your parents" card when you also live with your parents. Just saying.

5 - Yes, the IRC has sort of developed as its own little community alongside the forums. That doesn't mean we're separate from the site. Yes, we have a few people who mainly lurk and don't post a lost, that doesn't mean they're not cool people. Yes, we have a few people on the forums who don't like the chat room, that doesn't mean they're not cool people too. Most of the chat denizens are very active on both. I fail to see why that's a bad thing.

6 - We do not talk shit about you behind your back, or at least I don't and have never seen it. Aside from commenting on the awfulness of your LPs and your absolute refusal to listen to any tips that might make them better. In fact, aside from maybe Ermac, Jeebus, and the random trolly idiots who get banned within 2 days, we really don't talk about anyone (and the Jeebus stuff is more in-joke than serious). Lexiabot's chat logs are always available if you feel so self-conscious enough to want to skim through them to find instances of it. We do comment occasionally when someone makes a stupid post, but that happens on the forums too.

7 - I can't speak for Fernin really, but speaking for myself, no, I haven't always been perfect in running the room. Sometimes I get pissy and go off on someone for a poor reason. Sometimes I'm not fair. Sometimes, I'm an asshole. Call me out on it. Or PM me and explain I'm out of line. Or if you must, complain to Syd about it. I'm a surprisingly reasonable and empathetic person, to be honest, most of the sarcastic asshole attitude is a facade I put on for laughs.

In closing - Whatever. Everyone else seems to enjoy the chat room, or they just don't go in. Next time, if you got a problem, be a man and bring it up with us. Goodbye, don't let the ass hit you on the door on the way out. And if you put half as much effort as that into your LPs, they might almost be watchable.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Whoa whoa whoa...

...how do we even know he was talking about you in that vid, Satsui?

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 01:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa...

...how do we even know he was talking about you in that vid, Satsui?

Good point.

Cheerfully withdrawn.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 01:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:

Yea, am I a Goon?

Yes, who are the goons? That's the stuff that's more fascinating to me.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 02:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Douche McCallister wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:

Yea, am I a Goon?

Yes, who are the goons? That's the stuff that's more fascinating to me.

MAD magazine had a spoof on Conan the Barbarian and they called Thulsa Doom "Thirsty Goon."

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 02:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

So, I'm in the IRC often and I would like to think I get along with most people pretty well. Certainly, it has become its own sort of club containing regulars and in-jokes that do not necessarily appear on these forums. As such, the mods and regulars tend to develop a set of unspoken expectations.

Briefly, I will say that trying to stay on-topic and making an attempt to research a topic I might not immediately understand has worked for me. It is not always a problem if one politely asks for clarity on something, or if they want to bring up a new topic, but unfortunately everyone reads the tone behind the text differently. As such, sometimes it helps for me to pause and restructure my text to prevent anyone from potentially misreading it as sarcastic, offensive, or immature.

Yet unavoidably, the #sydlexia IRC has its own culture. I do see people being booted frequently; mostly in jest, although at times perhaps in a rude manner in response to a provoking or redundant comment. However, I cannot think of any event where an Op has kicked or outright banned someone for no reason at all; that does not mean it has not happened, but I have not noticed it.

While the Ops are around to keep things clean, generally there is not much need for these tasks. To me the Voice and Op titles are simply that - titles. Again, Ops may boot people - sometimes when it is necessary, sometimes rudely, sometimes for a bit of humor - but I do not enter the IRC feeling like it's a dictatorship or such.

At any rate, it does appear that problems need to be addressed. Unfortunately, I believe you have taken the wrong path with this video. The internet is certainly a place where tempers may flare and opinions differ; I am not trying to say that you are completely wrong or misinformed on all subjects. However, I do feel that communicating maturely about your problems would have been a route in which things may improve. Everyone wants to be treated with respect.

Sadly, this was not the impression I got from the video. Individuals were personally insulted and the tone of the message, in my opinion, was that of anger as opposed to genuinely wanting to solve an existing problem.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 02:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I guess I don't understand leaving the site over this. You claim in your video that the IRC is separate from the site, but then why leave the site because of people in the chat? That's a big contradiction. Just stop going in the IRC. No reason to stop posting on the forums.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 03:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I personally never really had an issue with the mods. I quit coming into the chat for other reasons. Making this video may not have been the most mature means of communicating a problem, but it can be hard to get a group of 15-25 people to really listen when you have a problem on the internet I suppose. The video was somewhat entertaining, but just walking away might have been the better option.

Doesn't really affect me either way I guess though.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 04:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I thought it was funny at first, then once I realized how malicious and unnecessary it was I kinda just stopped thinking about it.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 08:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
Well would you look at that

I love True Lies.

Also, just for clarification to USA's point. I did not actually start the IRC chat. Syd registered it and I worked with him to get it going. That was a long time ago... At this point I enjoy the chat room much less frequently due to an insane schedule that I now have.e

Alowishus
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I want to point out that i am taking no sides in this however i see valid things being said from both sides here.

Preng wrote:

Briefly, I will say that trying to stay on-topic and making an attempt to research a topic I might not immediately understand has worked for me. It is not always a problem if one politely asks for clarity on something, or if they want to bring up a new topic, but unfortunately everyone reads the tone behind the text differently. As such, sometimes it helps for me to pause and restructure my text to prevent anyone from potentially misreading it as sarcastic, offensive, or immature.

This is a huge problem and it's not just a problem on the IRC, it's a problem on the internet. How people read into text is a difficult issue. I guess it's similar how in English class you would read a book and then sort of work out what the words mean and how that relates to the story.

I only bring this up because i have fallen victim to this on IRC. In reality it's no ones fault, it's just how the words are perceived. It's not really viable to have a sort of tone sort of clause at the end e.g. "fuck you" (in a joking way). Generally the way conversations are structured it seems that it can be read easily what the writer intended and in most cases it's a joking way. Sometimes i have found that it looks like people outside inside jokes looks like they are trashing people or the stuff written looks kind of neutral in that it can be taken in both ways.

There's nothing that really can be done with this other than clarifying points or what you mean.

However i've seen Slayer posting stuff which indicates that it's not just that his "let's plays suck" that has been said. For the record here i did see this come up in IRC the other day (let's plays suck) and i do have my own logs which are taken while i am there. I can totally agree with Usa that nothing has been said apart from that (which he stated) from what i have seen.

However Slayer has produced material which seems to go beyond this. The stuff i guess is a direct attack but it doesn't really seem personal to me...how slayer takes it is a totally different matter though. What seems impersonal to me may cause great offense to him.

In that case again the words may be intended as jokes but it looks to me (and they are posted not in context with the rest of the conversation, i base this solely on what is posted by slayer) that they aren't and that they mean what they said.

Preng wrote:

Yet unavoidably, the #sydlexia IRC has its own culture. I do see people being booted frequently; mostly in jest, although at times perhaps in a rude manner in response to a provoking or redundant comment. However, I cannot think of any event where an Op has kicked or outright banned someone for no reason at all; that does not mean it has not happened, but I have not noticed it.

While the Ops are around to keep things clean, generally there is not much need for these tasks. To me the Voice and Op titles are simply that - titles. Again, Ops may boot people - sometimes when it is necessary, sometimes rudely, sometimes for a bit of humor - but I do not enter the IRC feeling like it's a dictatorship or such.

I agree with the first paragraph. Again i agree with Preng it may be in jest but sometimes it looks like people are kicked for no good reason or that it can be perceived as rude. My feelings on this is that the end of the day it's just being kicked from the channel, you just rejoin. In my case it's more annoying cause i don't have autojoin so it's accompanied by a "for fuck sake".

I have no problems with the Ops or Voice or anything. The way IRC is ran i feel is in a way that anyone can literally say anything. However sometimes i do see people get kicked after they say something but mostly it seems for a good reason e.g. Hacker said something yesterday about Skyward Sword spoilers and Fernin kicked him citing basically lolno. This is where it becomes sort of a grey area, Hacker may have been joking then Fernins kick is not justified. It was how Fernin interpreted it that caused him to kick him. That's i guess where offence can creep in.

However in that case i feel that in nearly all cases the Ops act fairly. Fernin acted in the interest that there was a possibility that Hacker could say spoilers. I think that is fair enough.

Again it depends on how people react.
Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

MellowMeek
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 01:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would comment on points the video brought up, but I can't stand Microsoft Anna and couldn't watch for more than a minute.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
...rambling, nonsensical rant...

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 06:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

Oh, for fuck's sake.

He's a Goon.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Nov 22 2011 09:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Lol what?

It wasn't even a rant!

EDIT: Oh wait i see wat u did thar.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Nov 23 2011 07:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know, I usually love drama but this shit is boring.
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Nov 24 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
I do not enter the IRC feeling like it's a dictatorship or such.

Expect that to change very soon. I came home :o

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Nov 24 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

We lost one we got another one back... WE'RE EVEN BITCHAAAZ!
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 24 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Captain_Pollution wrote:
Preng wrote:
I do not enter the IRC feeling like it's a dictatorship or such.

Expect that to change very soon. I came home Surprised

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? You get to your room right now young man, and expect no dinner.

Reply to topic

Jump to: