"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What are you reading?

Reply to topic
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jun 16 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been reading Hoodoo in Theory and Practice by Cat Yronwode, and it's a fantastic and well-balanced collection of information about hoodoo practices and some of the more famous (or infamous) conjure men and women.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 18 2014 08:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Reading the diary of a Scotsman in the US army during the US-Mexican War. Cool stuff. It was published by Lakeside Classics. Only learned about this series, which does a lot of US history, primary source, material, last year after visiting a used book store. Wish I knew about these in grad school. They would have helped considerably.
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jun 18 2014 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Book of Humanity by the Dalai Lhama.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 20 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished my Uncle John's Bathroom book recently. It's pretty interesting and I wish I had some other ones.

RIP Hacker.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jun 20 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:
I just finished my Uncle John's Bathroom book recently. It's pretty interesting and I wish I had some other ones.

It's pretty crazy when you realize that you haven't shit for a half an hour but you're still reading the book. My wife's uncle sends me one every year for Christmas, and I always enjoy reading them!

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

maverickhuntergirlz492
PostPosted: Feb 22 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

some fictional ghost story called asylum
Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Feb 22 2015 04:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading all of Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern, along with Green Lantern Corps and tie-in titles. It is incredible how he managed to take a second-tier hero who hadn't been relevant in a long time, and revive him in an amazing story of redemption, and bring back the whole mythos and turn it into a best-selling storyline. Woo!

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 23 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished a baseball book by Steve Stone which talked about all the positions in the game and the state of the sport. Was pretty interesting, but you can tell about half way through he lost interest and was just trying to meet deadlines to get it published.

Just started a new one. It's a biography of Charles Comiskey, who started the Chicago White Sox. It's trying to rehab his image as the excuse for why his players cheated in the 1919 World Series. So far it's real interesting - just the foreword was able to disprove all the anti-Comiskey arguments, using salary figures and stats - but the book proper is a bit too laudatory, overcompensating for his negative reputation. I thought all those cheapskate stories about Comiskey were true, so this book is a bit mind-blowing.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Mar 15 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.amazon.com/Gotham-City-14-Miles-Matters/dp/1466333057/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Can't wait for Clive Barker's the Scarlet Gospels. Pinhead Vs Harry in hell, yes please. I have been waiting seven years or more for this book.

Please write Cabal II next.
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Jun 05 2015 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Scarlet Gospels Clive Barker.

Sequel to Hellbound Heart (Hellraiser). It definitely holds some finality.

My god this book is so damn good. People are complaining because he promised a lot more; the original draft was about 2400 pages and 1000 were released. I can understand the frustration somewhat but after waiting at least 7 years for this book I am not at all disappointed.

The prose is excellent. It is a super perverse and sick version of Dante's Inferno filled to the brim with Clive Barker's many fetishes but it is epic and totally worth reading at least twice.

Can't wait for the movie and the long promised sequel to cabal.

RIP Pinhead...
Brandon22000
PostPosted: Jul 06 2015 05:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Can manga count? Bacause if so, I am currently reading the electronic version of Berserk (the scanlations, don't judge me).

One of the most fucked up stories that I have ever read, yet one of the most intriguing at the same time. If you want to read the manga, here is a link:
http://www.mangahere.co/manga/berserk/
WARNING: Very much NSFW and not for the squeamish or easily offended.

I could have bought the manga, but I seem to be a bit too lazy for that. Also, although I just turned 18 a couple of weeks back, I am kinda flat broke. So I read the scanlations instead.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 08 2015 03:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

bleh... i havent read anything in a really really really long time. im disappointed with myself. i spend most of my nights working out & then when i get home my roommate and i just play smash bros online until we decide to pass out. im hoping to remedy this though. soon they will be allowing us to take 1 hour long lunches at work instead of 30 minutes. so w/that extra half hour ill start reading... something... ANYTHING really.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Neutral-Bob
Title: Zarkin Frood
PostPosted: Aug 06 2015 08:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly some Redwall novels when I'm not busy with other things.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S Lewis

Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Nov 17 2015 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Neutral-Bob wrote:
Mostly some Redwall novels when I'm not busy with other things.

Read the John Swartzwelder books The Time Machine Did It and Dead Men Scare Me Stupid.
Funny stuff, a lot like Mike Nelson in style but much faster paced. Recommended for fans of absurdist humor. Very Happy

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Nov 19 2015 08:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Stephen King, 11/22/63.

I need long books or they only last a day or two. King and Clancy are the backups when I can't pick out something interesting.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 28 2016 04:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading through all the Harry Potter books again, as it's been a couple of years since I read them. I am currently on the Half Blood Prince. One thing I've noticed is that the books have definitely improved after the beginning. I love all the books, including the Sorcerer's (or Philosopher's if you're British) Stone and the Chamber of Secrets, but the first two are probably the worst ones.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jan 28 2016 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HardcoreGamer4Ever wrote:
I'm reading through all the Harry Potter books again, as it's been a couple of years since I read them. I am currently on the Half Blood Prince. One thing I've noticed is that the books have definitely improved after the beginning. I love all the books, including the Sorcerer's (or Philosopher's if you're British) Stone and the Chamber of Secrets, but the first two are probably the worst ones.

That's funny, I have the opposite opinions. To my mind, the first two books are the most charming by far, and the darker and more adult that the series became yielded diminishing returns. I really enjoyed the Roald Dahl-style of the first two, and was less interested in reading a fantasy epic. Different strokes.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jul 21 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
REAMDE, by Neal Stephenson. He's one of my favorites, and so far the new one is not disappointing me at all.

Just finished this one, and before that I re-read The Baroque Cycle, consisting of Quicksilver, The Confusion and The System of the World. Stephenson is also one of my favorites and I would recommend these books to anyone who has enjoyed his other work.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Apr 20 2019 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Farmer Giles of Ham by J.R.R.Tolkien

The writing style is more in the vein of "The Hobbit", easy to pick up and read with classic elements like dragons, a knight that saves the day etc.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

brellow
PostPosted: May 20 2019 04:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell. I'm only fifty pages in but I really enjoy it so far and I hope that its sort of growing intensity pays off. I also bought another copy of "East of Eden" since I gave mine to someone else a year or so ago and wanted to read it again soon.

Photobucket

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Nov 08 2023 12:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I read The Three-Body Problem and its sequels, The Dark Forest and Death's End, by Cixin Liu, last year. Some interesting concepts in those books, I still find myself thinking about them from time to time.

I also re-read Ringworld by Larry Niven this past year.

I wish I had more time to read, but life has been chaotic and busy.

Reply to topic

Jump to: