"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What are you reading?

Reply to topic
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Apr 16 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Guys, the greatest science fiction story ever written is Battlefield Earth. Because it's true.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 20 2012 07:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Been reading Beast by Peter Benchley. A nice book about a giant squid/octopus/kraken thing.

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Apr 20 2012 07:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ghost by John Ringo. Very strange.

TheThunderThief
PostPosted: Apr 21 2012 06:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just read Michio Kaku's "Physics of the Impossible", when compared to it's successor "Physics of the Future" it's much heavier on the actual physics talk, largely pertaining to technologies seen in pop culture that today we deem impossible or highly unlikely, but may not be as technology advances, and certain things that would only be feasible if our understanding of physics changes. Topics such as Time travel a la BttF, Star Trek's Phasers, force fields, invisibility, faster than light travel, etc are discussed. Quite accessible and a rather interesting read.

As far as comics go, I recently finished the Punisher MAX (The Punisher/The Punisher: Frank Castle, PunisherMAX) series, it had a bittersweet, but expected and fitting end. By far one of the better series I've read, granted Garth Ennis, the original writer for the MAX series, didn't write on the last few arcs, but it was still handled /pretty/ well. TBH the series could have ended with Ennis' last arc “Valley Forge, Valley Forge” it perfectly Bookends the very first arc before it became a full fledged series (titled “Born”). What I found amusing was how very different it was from the previous Marvel Knights Punisher series (some of the story was used for the 2nd Punisher movie), which was written by Garth Ennis as well, it's tone is much more serious, deals with grim, real world themes, no superhero cameos though some of the more realistic Marvel characters (Kingpin, Nick Fury, etc.) appear, set in current time (Castle is in his 50's and his body count is in the thousands), and has little in the way of overt humor. If you read this series, things like Punisher fighting daredevil and spidey are nonexistant as well as such ridiculous scenarios as Punisher, out of ammunition and being pursued runs into a zoo, uses the animals to dispatch the mobsters chasing him, most notably Punisher punching a Polar Bear in the face to rile it up to maul them, pure hilarity, but I digress...my point being Punisher Max does away with some of the silliness . The Punisher MAX series is probably the BEST representation of The Punisher thus far, it seems Ennis and Punisher were /made for each other/, and as such, I /highly/ recommend anyone into darker series to check it out.

E.T.A.: I just had to include this.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Apr 21 2012 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Heinlein. My bad. But I did read Ender's Game. It was great, but I didn't think it was too memorable, honestly.

I finished Stranger a few days ago. It blew my mind. Very challenging.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jun 01 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since it is summer and I have no classes going on I've been reading away lately. Read all three books in the Hunger Games trilogy in the same amount of nights. Then I've been rereading R. A. Salvatore's Drizzt series because since I last read it he's released several more books and I couldn't really remember what had happened in some of the prior books. I'm roughly halfway through doing that already and when I'm done I'll be doing my annual reread of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy followed by a reread of the Hunger Games which should carry me to about late June.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jun 11 2012 08:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been trying to get some history behind my belt, and most of you know about my obsession with World War II history (especially the Third Reich).

So whilst on vacation I picked up a weighty book called "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". It has more information about it than I could have even imagined possible.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jun 11 2012 09:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've started reading The Wheel of Time.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Jun 12 2012 02:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

^Good luck with that. I couldn't get into it, myself.

I, meanwhile, am re-reading some of the Song of Ice and Fire books. They're kind of helping me along with my own writing.

"Spanish bombs, yot' quierro y finito
Yo te querda oh ma corazón
Oh ma corazón, oh ma corazón" - The Clash, Spanish Bombs

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 12 2012 03:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
I've started reading The Wheel of Time.

books 1-4 are great. they really fall off after that. on book 10 or so it picks up again.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

SHODAN
Title: Sentient
PostPosted: Jul 21 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am currently reading the Bible, King James version. I am not a Christian so I find it interesting.

Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN.

vikkiverka
PostPosted: Jul 22 2012 05:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

The King in Yellow, for me. Mixed feelings so far.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Jul 27 2012 01:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished reading the main TPB of Flashpoint and I really liked it. I've heard a lot of really negative stuff about it since it fucks up DC's continuity yet again and sets up The New 52, but I really enjoyed the story. Might just be because I'm not a hard core main line DC follower and enjoy Else Worlds stories more, but I really liked the alternate versions of characters you know inside and out at this point like Superman (confined in a secret lab since he crashed on Earth as a baby and kept under lights that replicate the rays of a red sun, he's a 90 pound weakling) and Batman (though I won't spoil his story, he's even more badass than normal Batman however, if possible.) I could do without them shoe horning in Wild Storm characters and merging them into the main universe at the end, but meh. The moment when Barry finds out the truth about how this whole dystopian world came about and the fact that it's NOT another version of Earth or one of his villains tricking him, but the real world he lives in, are great.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jul 31 2012 07:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cisco Networking and IT course guides

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jul 31 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

A Storm of Swords. Decidedly less boobies than the tv show.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jul 31 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Going to finally start reading The Hobbit today.

BlazingGlory
Title: KANE LIVES IN DEATH!
PostPosted: Jul 31 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I finally got my hands on a readable copy of Dune. I started reading it yesterday, so I should hopefully have it done by the end of this week.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Aug 01 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just started reading Tale of Two Cities for the first time, after hearing much of it inspired Christopher Nolan in the Dark Knight Rises, as Gordon quotes from it at the end. Man, trying to get through Dickens' prose while riding on the train when I'm half asleep is really difficult. I've been reading too many simplistically written current events books and historical biographies as of late, I guess. Need rested brain cells to get through it too, apparently.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Aug 01 2012 02:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tale of Two Cities is one of the few books I couldn't bring myself to finish. It was just really, REALLY boring. I can see why so many people would appreciate Dicken's literature back when it was originally published--very relevant to society back then as a whole. But I forget why we read them now. They may have been influential, but not in modern day society.

Maybe it's the message behind Christmas Carol.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Aug 01 2012 03:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it's certainly boring so far. The last novels I read were by Vonnegut & Dostoevsky, and those are typically interesting from the start (minus the boring theory and what not at the beginning of Notes From Underground, before the story proper begins). So, I definitely am more used to that (although Dostoevsky novels often peter out and don't fulfill their concept).
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 02:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Well, it's certainly boring so far. The last novels I read were by Vonnegut & Dostoevsky, and those are typically interesting from the start (minus the boring theory and what not at the beginning of Notes From Underground, before the story proper begins). So, I definitely am more used to that (although Dostoevsky novels often peter out and don't fulfill their concept).

The only Russian novel I've completed is A Day in the Life of Ivan Braginski. It was a very stunning piece of work.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Aug 02 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dostoevsky is almost all of the Russian lit that I've read, outside of some small works by Gogol or Pushkin, perhaps. Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment is probably the best novel I have ever read. Unlike his other novels, it fulfills its concept and appears to be as perfect as a novel can be, if a bit long, as his novels tend to be.

I've been meaning to look into War & Peace, but that one just seems waaaaay too long.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have not heard of the novel that you mention.
Vert1
PostPosted: Aug 03 2012 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Les Misérables

Picked up a hardcover copy from a library book sale for $1. Book is big enough to beat someone to death with.

Reinhart_x
Title: Master of nothing
PostPosted: Aug 03 2012 04:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading Fifty Shades of Grey. It has lots of kinky BDSM shit in it and stuff, with a sex scene in what seems like every 20 pages or so. I can dig it lol
SteveRogers
PostPosted: Aug 03 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just started the first book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams. It's title is The Dragonbone Chair.
Reply to topic

Jump to: