[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Seth MacFarlane Slated to Ruin The Flintstones

Reply to topic
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 16 2011 08:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
UPDATE: Fox has announced that The Flintstones will begin production in 2011 for a 2013 release, from the official press release:

“The very first cartoon character I drew at age two was Fred Flintstone,” said MacFarlane. “So it’s appropriate that events have come full circle, allowing me to produce the newest incarnation of this great franchise. Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who’s too good for him.”

"The Flintstones are among the funniest and most beloved characters in television history, and we can’t wait to introduce them to a whole new generation on FOX,” said Kevin Reilly, President of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “FOX has long been home to iconic families like the Simpsons and the Griffins, so I have no doubt that the Flintstones and the Rubbles are going to fit right in on our air.”

The (pre)historic return of THE FLINTSTONES will feature MacFarlane’s modern-day take on the lives of the Flintstones and the Rubbles, two hard-working middle-class families living with contemporary conveniences in the dinosaur-era town of Bedrock. The series centers on hard-headed patriarch FRED FLINTSTONE and best friend and sidekick BARNEY RUBBLE. Fred’s Stone-Age clan includes wife WILMA, daughter PEBBLES and pet dinosaur DINO, while Barney’s brood consists of wife BETTY and son BAMM-BAMM.

----------

Good gravy, man, does Seth MacFarlane ever sleep? As if Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show didn't take out enough of his time, the latest news will rock your bed.

After apparent years of deliberation, Seth MacFarlane has finally garnered the rights to launch his own TV and movie reboot of The Flintstones, according to the latest from Deadline. The new project has no current release date, but will debut on Fox likely along with MacFarlane's existing brand of Animation Domination.

The green light apparently culminates a longtime dream for MacFarlane, who had long sought the rights to move forward with the Flintstones reboot. In addition to miles of red tape, the property owners at Warner Bros. worried about how the animation mogul might handle their beloved characters given his particularly acerbic brand of humor. Plenty of Family Guy cutaway gags have previously made light of the Flintstones and other Hanna-Barbera properties for their dated and bizarre logic.

There's also no telling if The Flintstones will maintain MacFarlane's brand of adult sensibilities for primetime, or stick with more youth-oriented programming, but more details should arise once Warner Bros. and 20th Century and Fox hammer out the final points.

http://www.ugo.com/tv/seth-macfarlane-the-flintstones-reboot

i odnt really know what to feel about this. i really like the original flintstones (way better than the jetsons) so, im not too happy.

then again, they were already ruined by those crappy live action movies. and the flintstones kids sucked too.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 16 2011 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This annoys me, but I'm not angered. I hated Hanna Barbara anyways.

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 16 2011 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rule 34 already ruined the Flintstones years before it was known as Rule 34, what more damage can Seth do?

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 16 2011 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So MacFarlane is getting yet ANOTHER show? Jesus...this is going to fail so hard. I'd rather not see the Flintstones with any sort of writing team on MacFarlane's, since it's only so long before they start doing shocking shit, just to be shocking. This will fail just like the "New Ren and Stimpy" did.
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 16 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know, this might as well just be The Quagmire Show for all the difference it makes to MacFarlane. This will probably also further dilute the quality of the other three shows he's already juggling.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: May 16 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've read that MacFarlane was supposed to be on one of the planes on 9/11. Could no good at all come of that day???

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 17 2011 02:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Haha...had to put that in my sig.

But Jesus...is ANYONE interested in a Flintstones return?
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 17 2011 06:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just realized this said Seth and not Todd, makes a lot more sense why everyone is grumptastic...

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: May 17 2011 06:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
I've read that MacFarlane was supposed to be on one of the planes on 9/11. Could no good at all come of that day???

That's true, I've heard him talk about it in interviews. He said he missed the plane because he overslept and desperately tried to get airport staff to let him on before it departed but "the doors were already closed". Pretty crazy stuff.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 17 2011 07:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

The most recent episode of Family Guy was one of the worst pieces of TV garbage I have ever seen. If he does to The Flintstones what he did to his own show, we are going to see one massive train wreck of our childhood cartoon.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: May 17 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh dear... I /want/ to see this...

But at the same time I'm scared of what his plot lines will be

Also

Quote:
“ Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who’s too good for him.”

That reminded me of the Simpsons when I read it

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 17 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You are dumb.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 17 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
You are dumb.

Dumb like that one time when Peter failed the third grade for the third time and had to lick Barbra Streisand's toes as punishment.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 17 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is a lose-lose situation. If he stays true to the original, everyone will hate it will have an actual coherent narrative sustained throughout each episode and will lack the non-sequiturs and raunch that made MacFarlane popular. If he does it in the style of his currently successful shows, everyone will hate it because it's not actually the Flintstones.

So either way, it will be panned by fans and critics.

Also, it will probably be awful.

Does anyone remember the Yogi Bear and Jetsons shorts that John K did? They were fucking shameful. Then again, pretty much everything John K did besides the first season or two of Ren & Stimpy was pretty awful.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: May 17 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
I just realized this said Seth and not Todd, makes a lot more sense why everyone is grumptastic...

Hahahaha, now THAT'S a reimagining I'd like to see!

GPFontaine wrote:
joshwoodzy wrote:
You are dumb.

Dumb like that one time when Peter failed the third grade for the third time and had to lick Barbra Streisand's toes as punishment.

Sorry, I was waiting for a cut away joke there...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: May 17 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah best not to think of the John k non early R&s.

I am as big a detractor of him as anyone but I actually think this could be interesting. I think the Flintstones are such an established protected franchise that you couldn't go that weird john k route. I also think the Macfarlane respects animation alot and I don't think he would go too far out.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 17 2011 01:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Seth was being sarcastic about the fat lazy husband comment. He probably said it while petting his stack of money.

Also, now I remember that Yogi Bear cartoon, holy shit. I never knew that was John K. but man did that suck.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 17 2011 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

John K has a lot of respect for the early Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies stuff, particularly Bob Clampett, and he considered himself to be the logical extension of Bob Clampett's work. I would strongly disagree with John's branding of himself, or at the very least argue that if he's right, that Clampett is lucky to have been restrained by the social moorings of his time.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 17 2011 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's funny, Clampett is now regarded by a lot of fans as a hack, for putting little imput forward, yet taking credit for a lot of what went on. But I have to agree with John K., those earlier Tunes (anything before the late 40's) were pretty good. If I consider anyone a hack, it would be Chuck Jones...I HATED what he did later on.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 17 2011 02:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Clampett did produce a lot of great cartoons in his own right, for which he deserves credit. But he did often try to claim full credit on collaborative ideas such as Bugs Bunny, which made him an outcast among his peers in later life.

I like the Jones later stuff, probably because a lot of it aired on Nickelodeon as "Special Delivery" aka We Don't Have Very Much Original Programming Yet So Here's An Animated Movie And/Or Special. I remember liking Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and A Cricket In Times Square a lot. And his animated sequences in Gremlins 2 and Stay Tuned were both very fun.
JRA
PostPosted: May 17 2011 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:

Dude, fuck you. Seth McFarlane might have fallen from grace in recent years, but in no way is he deserving of that fate.

If Seth wants to pull this off, he needs to do the one trick he was ever good at: disappearing for a few years, let everyone get the bad taste out of their mouth and let them become nostalgic about all his good ideas, then have him come back and do the show with universal praise.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: May 17 2011 05:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually don't think it will be that bad, but I don't think it will be insanely popular. I mean I HATED American Dad at first but now it's my favorite of his shows. The Cleveland show is horrible and needs to be canned. I honestly don't know how it is still on. Family Guy really has hit and miss episodes but I still enjoy them even if they aren't funny. Like I bet a lot of people were like "Here we go again!" when the dancing in the streets video came on but I was laughing pretty good throughout it. In closing, lets see what he does with it before we make judgments.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 17 2011 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

they played the whole video. not a snippet of it, but the whole fucking video. total time filler.

i mean, the video was gay & funny, but not for 3 whole minutes. fuck that noise

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 17 2011 05:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, American Dad is fantastic. My understanding is that's the one Seth works full-time on as a writer.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: May 17 2011 07:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
sidewaydriver wrote:

Dude, fuck you. Seth McFarlane might have fallen from grace in recent years, but in no way is he deserving of that fate.

I wish you were on the plane with him.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Reply to topic

Jump to: