"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Netflix Recommendation Thread

Reply to topic
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 03:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

ooh I think I'm going to like this thread. I spend most of my time watching TV shows on netflix.

I just finished Supernatural, so I've been BSing around trying to find good things.

I even watched Cypher, and albeit not all that bad, just kind of slow paced.

If I had any recommendations for anime, or TV shows
- Darker than Black
Nice little anime about humans gifted with amazing powers that whenever used requires the user to perform a ritual, some are as simple as organizing rocks or smoking, to actually breaking a finger.

- Supernatural
What's not to like? Demons, guns, cars, a great story.

Also I hate it when Netflix takes movies off of streaming, but if you wanna get the CD for it I'd recommend War Games 2. It doesn't sound that great but it's really not too bad
Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Aug 07 2012 09:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sometimes they don't even give a warning. I just watched Ancient Inventions a couple of weeks ago, and last week it vanished without explanation.

Even worse is when any mention of a movie ceases to exist; I watched Futureworld, and now it's not even listed as "temporarily unavailable". It's as though it never existed.

AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Aug 20 2012 03:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rikki-Oh in Netflix!

What you're waiting for!? Go watch this WTFery of Awesomeness!
Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 20 2012 04:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Watched God Bless America. It's an okay movie written by Bobcat Goldthwait. It's not as good as some of his others, but still entertaining. It's about a guy who becomes completely sick of our modern, vapid, mean culture, and goes on a killing spree across the country with a teenage girl. The tone is inconsistent as it tries to go back and forth from goofy comedy to poignant commentary. It's at its best when it's serious, tearing into fear-mongering media, exploitative reality TV, and the so-called "un-P.C. movement." Then it just goes into petty gripes about killing people who double park or answer their phones in theaters.

The two main actors, Joel Murray and Tara Lynne Barr, were amazing, though. Joel has a great emotional range, and can deliver long monologues that seem completely realistic and intrinsic to the character. Tara Lynne Barr is one of the best actors I've seen in her age range. She took what was probably just going to be a typical MPDG character and played more like an insecure, self-delusional sociopath who, like Joel's character, just wants a thoughtful conversation and the company of a decent human being. It's a movie worth a look, but it's not going to be a life-changer.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Skinr
PostPosted: Aug 30 2012 01:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just recently added to Netflix is Sgt. Kabukiman, N.Y.P.D. I'd been wanting to see it for a while, and finally did today. It's not as good as I was expecting, but isn't bad if you like low-budget superhero movies (i.e. The Pumaman), weird Japanese cultural references (i.e. every American-made movie about Japan, ever), or Troma Films (i.e. The Toxic Avenger).

This is the one movie I feel deserves a big-budget remake, for the reasons below.

[SPOILER:fef2278b5b]The way that the main villain is defeated is by a woman pulling a monkey out of a sports car.

Seriously.

With a larger budget, they probably could have had a more satisfying showdown, like, I dunno, a fight scene?![/SPOILER:fef2278b5b]

Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Sep 21 2013 01:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you haven't watched it, you should give Gunless a try. I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

Also good is The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra:

And they recently put a few MST3Ks back up. Definitely watch The Final Sacrifice if you've never seen it. Probably in my top 10 MST3K episodes.

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Spanish Meatloaf
Title: Denim Clad Road Warrior
PostPosted: Sep 22 2013 06:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Orange is the New Black. I didn't want to watch it initially but I have to say it's damn good, although maybe not as good as House of Cards. Netflix can do no wrong as far as publishing goes.

Skinr
PostPosted: Sep 22 2013 09:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I second the MST3K episodes. I was pissed when they removed all of them (except for the movie), but having a few is better than having none.

They also finally put the classic Doctor Who episodes in a single series, in (roughly) chronological order. Of course, that may not be to everyone's taste, but I highly recommend the Douglas Adams-penned "The Pirate Planet".

Reply to topic

Jump to: