"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Let's Play Game Boy (and Color and Advance) with Fernin

Reply to topic
Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: May 03 2011 03:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

So, I probably should've started this thread about three weeks ago, when I actually started putting these up on youtube, but I... Well, I honestly don't know why I didn't, laziness, I suppose. But, be that as it may, I have begun going through Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games, entirely at random. Fair warning, I do tend to abuse save states. ...A lot. But, mainly only when I think a game is worth playing through entirely. Here's a random sample of my videos so far:

Very first random game I pulled up and played, sheer coincidence.

Puzzle games, always good stuff.

Combo packs, of games I definitely won't be playing all the way through.

Now, while I will be taking the games as they come up randomly, I'll also be taking requests, so if anyone wants to see a particular game, let me know. Very Happy

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Mr. Satire
Title: No title necessary.
PostPosted: May 03 2011 05:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished watching a few, and I say that these are neat!
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: May 03 2011 03:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Watched the Mario Land one, very nice. I should play that game again pretty soon.
Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: May 04 2011 07:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greats vids. I enjoyed them a lot.

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: May 04 2011 08:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

You have a really soothing voice Smile
aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: May 04 2011 08:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sehkmaenzo wrote:

I still insist he should be a DJ on some easy listening jazz radio station.

天上天下唯我独尊

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: May 04 2011 01:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aika wrote:
Sehkmaenzo wrote:

I still insist he should be a DJ on some easy listening jazz radio station.

No doubt.
Fernin
PostPosted: May 10 2011 03:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A trio of trios are in the works/being uploaded now, three games that'll be uploaded in three videos each.

First off is Over the Hedge - Hammy Goes Nuts, a mini-golf game featuring the movie characters.

Second is The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, a beat 'em up game based on the show. ...Loosely based, anyway.

Third will be The Powerpuff Girls - Him and Seek, another beat 'em up game (though at least it makes far more sense, considering the show) that also has a scavenger hunt theme. That'll be going up in a few days, after the third Billy & Mandy video goes up.

Once again, if anyone has any requests, let me know!

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Thunderhorse
Title: This is DELICIOUS!
PostPosted: May 10 2011 03:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I request...
Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots
Car Battler Joe
And Sonic Battle

This Is Tuna With Bacon

Alowishus
PostPosted: May 10 2011 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to request Looney Tunes for GB. I believe it was remade for GBC.
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: May 11 2011 04:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, wow, just started watching the SML one. I truly adore that game. This is great stuff, Fernin, keep up the good work.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: May 11 2011 03:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Donkey Kong on GB, definatly worth a play through

Fernin
PostPosted: Jun 25 2011 03:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't updated this page in quite a while now, mostly been doing the requests for the Forum Battle, so I won't repost any of those in here, but there have been a few other things I've done in between...

Well, actually, before that, there was this one request for BeachBum that didn't get posted in the battle threads itself. Now, on to other stuff.

The Japanese-only release F-Zero - Climax, along with a Tiny Toon Adventures game.

A rather recent upload, and the first free pick I've gotten so far, the first Game Boy Mega Man game.

Now, my request list is a little bare after doing so many for the battles, so once again, I'm here asking you, begging you for requests. I need games on that list for the 1 in 12 chance I have of getting told by Lexy to do a request whenever I use the !randomgame command. Picture that in Mike Rowe's voice if it helps, just don't send me any dirty jobs.

Adrock4
Title: Mostly Lurks, Now
PostPosted: Jun 25 2011 09:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wario Land 1 is a pretty badass game.

Fernin
PostPosted: Nov 23 2012 03:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I really should've been updating this page fairly often over the last... what, year and a half since I last bothered with it? I was occasionally (...okay, /very/ occasionally) putting new videos up there, but oh well. Most of what I've been posting has been recorded during livestreams I've done, so you'll hear me talking to people in a chatroom I don't have recorded, but it still works out well, I think. Also got a new spiffy flash intro, works fantastically. Picking some random recent videos as examples of the new stuff...

I streamed for about three hours last night and checked around 15 games off the list, so there's plenty more coming up over the next few days.

Fernin
PostPosted: Jan 03 2013 07:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, doing a fun little experiment where I ask different forums these same feedback questions and seeing what various people think. So, here's some questions, lemme know what you guys think.

How much time should be spent on a game before giving up/moving on in a Let's Not or Let's Briefly Play?

How much time should be spent trying to translate dialogue in Japanese games, and which types of games are worth trying to figure out the dialogue in? Platformers? RPGs? Anime tie-ins? Visual Novels? I can read most of it, but I only took a couple classes, so my vocab's only at about a 1st or second grade level, and the online dictionary I check is a bit limited as well (no, it's not google translate).

Should I try to find information on a game in the time between getting a game from Lexy and starting on it, or remain as I have been going in clueless on about 70% of the games and figuring things out as I go along (which isn't much of a challenge in 90% of that 70%)?

How much time should be spent trying to figure things out in puzzles games (like in Mole Mania) before going to a walkthrough? Should I go in knowing absolutely everything in advance, or play genuinely as myself, knowing what I actually know about it, doing the best that I can with it, and then relying on the walkthrough as a backup to move ahead when stuck?

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 04 2013 01:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin wrote:
How much time should be spent on a game before giving up/moving on in a Let's Not or Let's Briefly Play?

I think a minimum of 20 minutes or so on those kinds of videos would be about right. Don't want it to seem like you're giving up too early.

Fernin wrote:
How much time should be spent trying to translate dialogue in Japanese games, and which types of games are worth trying to figure out the dialogue in? Platformers? RPGs? Anime tie-ins? Visual Novels? I can read most of it, but I only took a couple classes, so my vocab's only at about a 1st or second grade level, and the online dictionary I check is a bit limited as well (no, it's not google translate).

I think translating as you go along would be more trouble than it's worth, but translating ahead of time and having it written down so you can go to it as it pops up in the game would be way smoother.

Fernin wrote:
Should I try to find information on a game in the time between getting a game from Lexy and starting on it, or remain as I have been going in clueless on about 70% of the games and figuring things out as I go along (which isn't much of a challenge in 90% of that 70%)?

I think going in prepared is mostly always preferable in a full Let's Play. On the occasions that you're doing a Let's Briefly Play, being unprepared makes more sense and is probably more acceptable.

Again, these are just my dumb opinions so take them lightly.

Fernin
PostPosted: Jun 02 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Had to split the video in half due to a screwy video glitch and a content match on originally uploading it on youtube (which fortunately didn't happen again on uploading it a second time), but I finally managed it, I made a video celebrating a subscription number on youtube. xD

I know, most people do something at like, 50, or 100, but I never bothered, finally did something at 200 subsribers. Now, for most people, that wouldn't take very long, but I seem to be good at not attracting new viewers, despite my best efforts, took almost a year for these 100 to roll in. Still! Videos, check em out.

Reply to topic

Jump to: