Wii U rumors

Reply to topic
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Nov 26 2012 04:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
JoshWoodzy wrote:
The-Excel wrote:
[*]Restricting Miiverse attendance to English-language Miis only, otherwise known as racism

I hope you're trolling. I will immediately do this. I'm not interested in interacting with people whose language I do not speak.

My thoughts exactly. How is it racist to not want to talk to someone who you can't verbally communicate with?

It's never stopped me from inviting people I can't understand to play with me. It's just a shame this happens to be a solution to a widespread problem.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 27 2012 07:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never bothered to do any of these fixes and I haven't experienced a crash since Saturday. I guess word got out and enough people have taken their WiiUs offline that it's fixed until the patch comes out.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 28 2012 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know, all I hear is negativity anymore about this console. I shouldn't say much, because I'm extremely cynical about pretty much everything video game related anyway.

Most of the extreme fanboys are "This is 100% next gen and will directly compete with the 720 and PS4!" and I just don't think that's realistic. I think this system will carry some fantastic first party Nintendo games as well as being able to run any PS3 and 360 games that can be thrown at it, but to think that it's gonna be a direct competitor to the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft is kind of silly, and probably not what Nintendo is intending anyway.

I look forward to owning this console more so than anything else video game related in the foreseeable future, and I know I'll have fun with it, and that's all I really care about.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 28 2012 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do I think this console will compete with PS4/720? Yes.

Do I see it competing on graphics? No.

Third party games will look better on the Sony and MS systems. But I don't see there being a contrast the way there was with Wii vs. 360.

But I expect WiiU to be capable of running AAA games without dropped content, something the Wii was not.

PS4 could potentially be a problem. But market indicators say no. PS4 isn't expected until 2014, and Sony is in bad shape. Nothing is selling for them right now. If PS4 isn't an immediate hit, that'll be the end of SCE.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 28 2012 06:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Do I think this console will compete with PS4/720? Yes.

Do I see it competing on graphics? No.

I should clarify. I do think it will compete monetarily, I just think that cross platform games will probably perform and look better on the 720/PS4. There will obviously be exceptions, just saying what I think will be the case. And I'm okay with it. There is nothing dumber than some frat douche proclaiming "Hah, it can't look exactly like my other two consoles, it must suck." Why the fuck do you need 3 consoles that can play all the exact same games in the same way anyway?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 28 2012 08:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think the games will perform fine, but again, will lag behind graphically. I also don't see a system that's already more powerful than anything currentgen looking hideous compared to Sony and Microsoft's offerings.

I also see us being down to MS vs. N before the end of whatever generation this is. Eighth?
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Nov 28 2012 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Am I alone in the fact that I could give a flying eff about next-gen graphics? I've become so alienated with people emphasizing graphics as the most immediate and important feature of new games that come out that I've started mentally blocking out any mention of them whatsoever, positive or negative. Maybe I feel this way because the only games I've really gotten (other than Dead Island) in the past few months have all been indie games on Steam, but I really, really do not care about graphics.

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Nov 28 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
all I hear is negativity anymore

Not to be a prude.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Nov 29 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
Am I alone in the fact that I could give a flying eff about next-gen graphics? I've become so alienated with people emphasizing graphics as the most immediate and important feature of new games that come out that I've started mentally blocking out any mention of them whatsoever, positive or negative. Maybe I feel this way because the only games I've really gotten (other than Dead Island) in the past few months have all been indie games on Steam, but I really, really do not care about graphics.

I care about graphics, but I'm more concerned that we're reaching a limit to how much we can noticeably improve them. We already have games that look like they could be real life, where are we supposed to go from there? Once we can no longer distinguish between real life and a scene from a video game, I have no idea what's going to happen next that we could use to improve graphics.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Nov 29 2012 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:

I don't care much about graphics honestly as long as they aren't absolutely hideous. I mean if they are decent enough to tell what the hell is going on and the game is fun it really doesn't matter. If they look shitty, like say FF7's do, then they can be a bit of a put off for me and can make me give up on the game after a while. Pretty doesn't matter much if your game sucks ass.

I don't really think we're going to see much better graphics than we have now in the next gen consoles anyway. As long as I can read the text on the screen I could really care less if it advances any further anyway since it is very pretty already, at least on the PS3 since it is the only one I can plug in via HDMI. Seriously though they need to use some bigger fonts, hate having to wear contacts to play video games at more than 5 feet from the TV.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Nov 29 2012 02:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped giving a fuck about graphics after the first few Dreamcast games. Also, while FF7 might look shitty now, back when it came out it was decent. The backgrounds were great and the polygon characters were pretty standard for that time. Certainly not shitty, perhaps just not everyones cup of tea.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Nov 29 2012 09:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I care about graphics, but I'm more concerned that we're reaching a limit to how much we can noticeably improve them. We already have games that look like they could be real life, where are we supposed to go from there? Once we can no longer distinguish between real life and a scene from a video game, I have no idea what's going to happen next that we could use to improve graphics.

Virtual reality.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

"According to various publications like Guardian UK, Nikkei, and Wired, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata will institute a massive company restructure starting in December, which will involve expanding old divisions, creating new ones, and reassigning key personnel. This will be the first such restructure since 2002, when Iwata replaced Hiroshi Yamauchi as president.

Nintendo currently has two offices in the company's Kyoto headquarters: the main branch and the Kyoto Research Center. Iwata hopes to open a third R&D building in the city, which will offer room for over 1200 staffers. Meanwhile, Nintendo's largest division, EAD Tokyo, will continue to expand and create opportunities for veteran developers from Square Enix, Sega, Koei, Epoch, and Konami to easily transition over.

The biggest news of all is that Shigeru Miyamoto will be stepping down as head of EAD in order to lead a new division of younger talent to develop small-scale games -- a move that was planned at least since last year. Replacing him will be the current EAD deputy manager, Takashi Tezuka, who has worked alongside Miyamoto all these years on the biggest games in Nintendo's catalog. If Miyamoto is Stan Lee, I suppose Tezuka would be Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko.

These changes should hopefully inspire the creation of new large-scale IPs as well as faster turnaround time for more experimental software. If the 2002 overhaul is anything to go by, we are going to see a major shift in Nintendo's output these next few years."

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-planning-massive-restructure-for-2013-239444.phtml

I can take solace in the main point, that Nintendo will have 1200 new employees, a completely new division and lots more creative input in the near future.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure everything still has to get the Miyamoto stamp of approval. Hopefully. Fingers crossed that we don't get a Mario catastrophe of Super Mario Land 1 proportions again.

As for the graphics debate. Graphics can matter. In a 2D game or a game that uses 3D models in a fixed 2D perspective (e.g. MVC3, SF4), I could give a fuck less about graphics. I don't care if Guilty Gear is HD or not. It's fucking irrelevant. In 3D games, it matters. In Dead Rising 1, when Frank's teeth are clipping through his lip in a cutscene, that's a giant fucking problem for me. Most N64/PSX games are unplayable to me these days because that firstgen 3D is just fucking hideous.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( &#865;� &#8
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 04:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since when has Super Mario Land been a catastrophe?

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 04:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Most of us look at it fondly. I think it was fucking fantastic, though it's obviously aged badly, has control issues, is /weird/, etc.. It was an amazing fucking game at the time though, playing it at that Gameboy demopod they had set up at Sears when I was a kid was life changing.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 04:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think it maintains a certain charm. Also, the music in the first level is one of the catchiest songs in video game history. Seriously, only the Tetris theme is harder to get out of your head.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 04:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

sidewaydriver wrote:
I think it maintains a certain charm. Also, the music in the first level is one of the catchiest songs in video game history. Seriously, only the Tetris theme is harder to get out of your head.

I've never played the game, yet I've had like all of those songs stuck in my head at some point.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't "get" Gameboy when it first came out. A portable system that you can't play in the dark, and that isn't great to look at in many other lighting situations either? Why would I want this? SML1 was weird. It didn't look like Mario. It didn't play like Mario. It was like going to your friend's house, and he had a Master System instead of a NES and made you play some game that he insisted was "just as good as Mario", but then it wasn't. I loathed SML1 when I first played it on my friend's GB. I hate it less now, but it's still underwhelming.

SML2 though? Awesome. It looked like Mario. It was still weird, but it was weird in a good way.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 05:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I gladly welcome this. Although it may be heresy to say so but Shigeru Miyamotos design decisions at times have been questionable.

It's well known that he thought the Donkey Kong Country series was shit.
EDIT for quote:
“Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

...and even now he's just gone off the rails:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/12/miyamoto-convinced-the-paper-mario-sticker-star-people-to-ditch-the-story/

Quote:
Nintendo has published a great Iwata Asks interview with the folks behind Paper Mario: Sticker Star that is worth a read. Perhaps the most interesting part: Mario creator and legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto actually convinced them that story isn’t necessary to a Paper Mario game. Which might be why, when compared to the other three Paper Mario games, Sticker Star‘s story just isn’t up to par.

Here’s an excerpt:

Iwata: Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?

Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project-”It’s fine without a story, so do we really need one?” and “As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Like seriously...what was he actually thinking?

I'm glad he's stepping down. He's done his bit and we are all grateful but it is time for someone new to step in and fill his shoes.

Also to add on the SML discussion. I'm sure you all know but for those that don't: i guess it's so different because the designer on it was not Miyamoto. In fact if i recall he had nothing to do with it.

I can't remember who made SML1 but i know SML2 and 3 was made by Hiroji Kiyotake the guy who created Wario.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

wow. i didnt know that about sticker story. hmmm maybe he is just getting uber old now & needs to chill a bit

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Vert1
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 05:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had to tone down my post but it basically was this:

"Miyamoto doesn't give a fuck about story in Mario games. Neither should anyone else"

"Power Stone 3 will never happen because of these gamers who whine about story shit"

Quote:
The biggest news of all is that Shigeru Miyamoto will be stepping down as head of EAD in order to lead a new division of younger talent to develop small-scale games -- a move that was planned at least since last year.

Ughhhhh. Does this mean throwaway Wiiware stuff or lower budget physical releases? It's really a shame he didn't get to direct any game post-N64.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 01 2012 08:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
wow. i didnt know that about sticker story. hmmm maybe he is just getting uber old now & needs to chill a bit

Sticker Star is damn fun.
sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 02 2012 05:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gunpei Yokoi designed Super Mario Land 1. Miyamoto was so furious that someone else was designing a Mario game and that's what began the chain of events that ended with Yokoi's assassination. Miyamoto sabatoged Yokoi by getting him assigned to work on the Virtual Boy, a project that Miyamoto secretly rigged to gaurantee failure. Once it bombed and Yokoi was exiled in shame, Miyamoto and the top brass at Nintendo sanctioned his murder. True fucking story.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 02 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I read that somewhere!
Reply to topic

Jump to: