Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 01:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

i only played the genesis Ren & Stimpy, and that game was awesome

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 01:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

We do not want a fucking challenge, we want something fucking fun to play.

Kirby's Adventure was bounced out, and if someone wants to organize that one next, that's fine by me, but I have it planned as a solo project after FF9, so I won't be involved with it.

Also, I added an inspirational picture to the first post. Enjoy it.
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I woke up this morning just not feelin' it.

Until I saw the inspirational picture. Shit yeah!
Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
We do not want a fucking challenge, we want something fucking fun to play.

Well if you want fun, the SNES Ren and Stimpy will not oblige.

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

Preng
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The torch has been passed!

I've emailed my savestate to Satsui and SnesGuy. I will begin working on the video at the shared account soon, though it always takes me awhile to complete the annotations.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Mar 01 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Snesguy, 5 days to get your part done.

To use that save state, BTW, save it in Kega's folder. Open the game and press F8. Don't save over it.
SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: Mar 02 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Snesguy, 5 days to get your part done.

To use that save state, BTW, save it in Kega's folder. Open the game and press F8. Don't save over it.

Got the email, it'll be done by friday, Tog if you see this try to send me your email by friday Smile

Preng
PostPosted: Mar 02 2011 02:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Satsui, since I've got the first video, I was thinking about creating an opening image that says "Sydlexia Collab" or something like that (similar to my "Preng Presents..." screen on the Mega Man videos). Any objections?
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Mar 02 2011 02:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

You can do what you want with the video.

Just make sure you put your name on it somewhere.
MellowMeek
PostPosted: Mar 02 2011 07:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Preng wrote:
The torch has been passed!

Oh man, I love this image. Talk about motivation.

Preng
PostPosted: Mar 03 2011 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

My video is complete. Enjoy!

Some miscellaneous notes:

• Here's a boilerplate that you can use in your video descriptions:

This video is part of SydLexia.com's Sonic the Hedgehog 2 collaboration project. The game was divided into different zones and assigned to participating forumers; these players were to complete their zone, create a savestate, transfer it to the person on deck, and upload their recorded run. The ultimate goal is simply to complete the game, though everyone is free to play under their own individual style. For more information, please see this thread: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14862

• I'm pretty sure most of us will want to advertise our channels during this project. I put my name in the video tags, but perhaps it would be best to list everyone's channels at the end as a form of credits.

• I started a Tails death count. You don't gotta continue this, but it'd be a good ongoing gag.

• He's always going to be Dr. Robotnik to me.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Mar 03 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's what I call a dozen lawyers at the bottom of a cliff right there.
Greg the White
PostPosted: Mar 04 2011 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jack Slater wrote:
I vote for Ren and Stimpy: Veediots on the SNES. There's a fucking challenge!

I never got past the second level. I watched a video that showed me how stupid I was, and I cried.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

SNESGuy
PostPosted: Mar 05 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have passed the save onto Tog, will upload my video soon, God speed Tog!

Jack Slater
PostPosted: Mar 05 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:

I never got past the second level. I watched a video that showed me how stupid I was, and I cried.

That game is so fucking hard, that there are only four levels. Any more would open a giant chasm in the earth and unleash the spawn of hell.

Preng
PostPosted: Mar 05 2011 03:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SnesGuy wrote:

I will never look at Satsui the same way again.

Also, is something currently wrong with YouTube? My video's annotations worked the first night but now aren't showing up. I've gone into the annotations settings multiple times and hit the "publish" button, but that hasn't done anything.

There will be much grumbling if I've gotta do all of that again.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Mar 05 2011 08:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

EDITED: Okay, here's what I need.

SNESGUY - I need a copy of the save state you sent Tog. Also, you need to upload the video to our collab channel. I made a comment about it, it looks fine except for the frameskipping (hopefully you can fix that), but if you can't, don't sweat it too much.

TOG - I looked at your vid, and I'm very curious as to how someone with a week of experience pulled off some of those tricks. Particularly the one where you walk right through an enemy. Don't upload anything to the collab channel until Snesguy does his upload.
Jack Slater
PostPosted: Mar 05 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dude, who's gonna cheat on an assignment where the only thing you gotta do is just play through the level?

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Mar 05 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jack Slater wrote:
Dude, who's gonna cheat on an assignment where the only thing you gotta do is just play through the level?

You'd be shocked.
SNESGuy
PostPosted: Mar 06 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
EDITED: Okay, here's what I need.

SNESGUY - I need a copy of the save state you sent Tog. Also, you need to upload the video to our collab channel. I made a comment about it, it looks fine except for the frameskipping (hopefully you can fix that), but if you can't, don't sweat it too much.

TOG - I looked at your vid, and I'm very curious as to how someone with a week of experience pulled off some of those tricks. Particularly the one where you walk right through an enemy. Don't upload anything to the collab channel until Snesguy does his upload.

Yeah i was worried about the framskipping and the lag but i dont really know how to fix that so i guess ill just upload it, and ill send you the save file now

Preng
PostPosted: Mar 06 2011 03:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, Togdor talked to me awhile ago and I took a peek at his video. There were a few things that were very, very strange looking - I haven't played the genuine console with cartridge method in many years and have no recollection of these occurrences happening - but I was able to reproduce everything that struck me as questionable.

Togdor forwarded me the email where SnesGuy passed on the savestate, which was used for testing.

0:33 - Running through the badnik
Turns out this is actually very easy to do. If Sonic is moving at what I think is his normal maximum speed (fast enough to do the blur-wheel feet animation, like in Togdor's case) then he'll simply move right through the enemy.

1:20 - Column glitching
This one was quite tricky to reproduce, but it ended up requiring maximum speed and a perfectly timed and placed jump. If done properly, Sonic does exactly what happened in Togdor's video and literally gets stuck inside the column. This strikes me as some sort of trick speedrunners would use, but I'm sure that Togdor was just as surprised as the rest of us when it happened.

There were other columns in the stage that I could jump into as well without the aforementioned speed, timing and placement. I'm guessing these tiles aren't programmed as well as they could be.

2:01 - Hammer dodging
It looks like Robotnik hits Sonic - who is plainly standing on the platform between attacks - with his contraption's hammer after his fourth hit. I was able to reproduce this and not take damage. On a different situation, I had Sonic in midair when the hammer came down, and instead of taking damage he simply moved slightly out of place for a quick moment.

I don't know whether or not these glitches could be caused by shortcomings in the actual Genesis cartridge or problems with the ROM, but Togdor isn't to blame for anything. I recommended that he made another video anyways where he tries to avoid the glitches; he may or may not be able to do it, but I think it would be a good way to avoid future suspicions.

I didn't make any recordings of the glitch reproductions but if you try out what I described you should find 'em yourself.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 06 2011 07:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice try, Preng. But you'll never convince me that ToG isn't a dirty, rotten cheater.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Preng
PostPosted: Mar 06 2011 08:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe this entire time I've just been ToGdor's alternate account - created specifically to protect ToGdor from flack, bump his threads, and generally elevate his standing with the SydLexia.com community.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 06 2011 08:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, he's clearly premeditated this whole thing. He is a cheater through and through and will do anything to mess with the reputation of everyone else involved.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Mar 06 2011 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I really questioned was running through the enemy. The other stuff I've done, but I've never been able to run through an enemy like that. I have no idea how he got that good at the game within a week, but as long as it's legit I'm fine with it. It's a damn sexy run.

I got SNESguy's state, I'm guessing Tog will pass his off as soon as he gets a chance (does he have the collab channel password? or Sarge's e-mail?). Once he does, it's his turn.

EDIT - Maybe I should explain something. I didn't mean to go all crazy and "YOU CHEATED!" and such. Tog's video is amazing and, quite simply, not what I'd expect from someone who has a week's worth of experience with the game. There are some things in the video that made me question whether it was legitimate, and all I wanted was an explanation, which was given to me. I'm sorry if I hurt any feelings.
Reply to topic

Jump to: