[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Mirrodin Pure/New Phyrexia

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 29 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much every major MTG hero either ends up killed or evil eventually. None of them ever grow old, retire, and die of natural causes.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Mar 29 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well that's not really fair, they've only really shown you large enough chunks of the Weatherlight characters' lives for you to say that. Sure, all the heroes live in turmoil during their active adventures, but some of them must by laws of odds settle down peacefully afterwards. Urza could have if he had just walked to some distant plane and dickered around for all eternity and not attempted to repeatedly assault Phyrexia, leading Phyrexia to get pissed off enough to want to crush Dominaria not just for the real estate but to just piss Urza off. And pretty much everyone who gets the shit end of the stick from the Weatherlight can trace their woes either directly or indirectly back to Urza. So really, Urza is the greatest villain of MTG.

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gerard decapitated Urza, good guys win.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 07:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Well that's not really fair, they've only really shown you large enough chunks of the Weatherlight characters' lives for you to say that. Sure, all the heroes live in turmoil during their active adventures, but some of them must by laws of odds settle down peacefully afterwards. Urza could have if he had just walked to some distant plane and dickered around for all eternity and not attempted to repeatedly assault Phyrexia, leading Phyrexia to get pissed off enough to want to crush Dominaria not just for the real estate but to just piss Urza off. And pretty much everyone who gets the shit end of the stick from the Weatherlight can trace their woes either directly or indirectly back to Urza. So really, Urza is the greatest villain of MTG.

And going back even further, Urza's war with his brother was directly responsible for the bad things in the early expansions like Ice Age, Dark, and Fallen Empires.

So, there you go.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 02:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just want to clarify for Black Zarak that I don't hate Phreyxia. I do hate infect though, and Mirrodin Pure most likely would not have had any infect in it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, why do you hate infect so much? I know it's not just you either, but really it's not that hard (at least in Limited) to not die from it and really hard to kill people with it. And if you're playing with people who are slapping Whispersilk Cloak on Blightsteel Colossus or something, fucking tell them to quit that shit, it's not like there wasn't already an entire grouping of banned dick moves in our playing circle...

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 30 2011 05:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is that when infect DOES work, it's infuriating.

I had this happen to me:

Turn 2: Opponent drops Ichor Claw Myr
Turn 3: Opponent drops Accorder's Shield, equips, swings for 1. I take it.
Turn 4: Opponent drops Ichor Wellspring. They swing in for 1 with the Myr. I don't block. Double Mettle. Game over.

Now, granted, that doesn't happen often, but it fills you with rage when it does. Normally, infect chips away at you early, gets you to 4 or 5 poison, then swarms and Untamed Might, FTW.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. Infect can suck my balls.

I have not purchased any cards from the Mirrodon block, and I have a friend who had gone ape-shit over it. It's sad that I have had to make decks just to counter his now overly powerful artifacts and god I hate the proliferate/poison synergy.

It's bullshit that damn near every card in the vast Magic library that had anything to do with counters says "Target Permanent", and then they decide, "oh well poison counters exist in a little world all their own on the battlefield, so you can't touch them except with new cards now."
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's the whole point, they wanted poison to be something you actually had to deal with instead of just saying "OK, here's a card that completely negates your deck."

And I don't really think anything in Mirrodin is "over powered", at least nothing that Alara didn't set the trend for.

Really, you guys whine so much about poison but it's not that big of a deal. Unless you're playing with cheap jack offs who just do something like the Whispersilk + Blightsteel example I made earlier, it's not that big of a threat. I have a poison deck that gets beat constantly and rarely manages to get the opponent to ten counters. There are hundreds of cards in Magic that can stop poison threats before they ever touch you, probably a couple dozen in Type II alone, it is not this impossible, unfair mechanic that no one can ever beat. Frankly, exalted annoyed me more than poison does.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
That's the whole point, they wanted poison to be something you actually had to deal with instead of just saying "OK, here's a card that completely negates your deck."

But, that's been their MO for ever.

Got a Direct Damage deck?

Layline of Sanctuary
True Believer
etc.

Got an Artifact Deck?
Shatterstorm
Herkyl's Recall
etc.

I could go on, and on. Why make only one mechanic unstoppable?
(And, yes I know Leeches can stop poison. But, good luck finding one, if you don't already have it.)
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The point isn't stopping the mechanic, it's that since it's on (largely) small creatures, you have to kill them before they start hitting you hard. Also, the mechanic just fucking premiered, even though they've said otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see an answer to poison come down the pike within a couple years. Or, you want an answer to it? Platinum Angel. Or if you want to work backwards on it, Infernal Persecutor...

Also, this is probably their attempt at creating something that you need to think harder about to beat, instead of just pulling out the get out of jail free card that affects it like those other cards you listed are.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I only really see Infect in draft/sealed and it's fucking annoying, and there aren't a whole lot answers to it, other than trading creatures with them. Of course, then they drop Accorder's Shield and you're fucked. Or they drop Darksteel Axe and you have to throw a 4/4 in front of a 3/1, because all you have is the 4/4. And then suddenly your 4/4 is a useless 1/1.

In constructed, yeah, Infect decks suck. You can easily outrace them, or just clear the board.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Mar 31 2011 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know something that really annoys me about this? How they played up the whole "Mirrodin vs Phyrexia!" thing and had tournaments and game days where you picked a side and stuff like it mattered, and yet, the whole thing was already decided ahead of time. Mirran decks could have splattered the fuck out of Phyrexian decks, and it doesn't matter, Phyrexia still wins. A "support your side" thing doesn't work when the outcome is predetermined.

There was a CCG called Legend of the Five Rings that I was really in to (it still exists, but it sucks now. Seriously.), and something they did I really liked was that tournament results actually changed the storyline and affected what cards got printed. Their first major tournament resulted in an epic story...the organizers had one binder for each faction that could have won that contained the story that would have happened if that faction had won the tournament, including the corrupted evil side (and they even bribed people to secretly support the evil faction, one of these guys even made the late rounds), until the finals where there were two factions who were in storyline hated rivals...and they agreed to a draw. The organizers discussed it, chucked the last two binders and wrote a new path for the story based upon the idea that these two factions had made peace with each other.

I don't expect the WotC guys to be able to pull something like that off on the fly, what with the production schedule, but I would have liked to seen SOME sort of influence on things.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 01 2011 05:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Any hope of seeing something like:

Peroxide Blast 1RR
Instant
Remove X poison counters from target player as an additional cost.
Peroxide Blast deals XX damage to target creature or player.

?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 01 2011 08:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know damn well they won't.

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Apr 01 2011 08:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I played LOT5R during those times, and I have to say, the participatory nature of things really made it a more engaging game (the RPG adaptation is excellent as well). And I think, at this point, it's the point where I have an issue with MTG anymore. One of the things that would probably entice me back into it would be something like that, which Games Workshop/Warhammer does frequently (one of the reasons I stopped playing MTG; the other was that, despite the relatively high price per piece for Warhammer figures and the time investment, there's not a need for constantly going out and dropping 20-30 dollars at a pop on more cards; I get one piece and I can work on it for a month or more, then play with it indefinitely [or at least until some little kid breaks it in the store]).

UsaSatsui wrote:
You know something that really annoys me about this? How they played up the whole "Mirrodin vs Phyrexia!" thing and had tournaments and game days where you picked a side and stuff like it mattered, and yet, the whole thing was already decided ahead of time. Mirran decks could have splattered the fuck out of Phyrexian decks, and it doesn't matter, Phyrexia still wins. A "support your side" thing doesn't work when the outcome is predetermined.

There was a CCG called Legend of the Five Rings that I was really in to (it still exists, but it sucks now. Seriously.), and something they did I really liked was that tournament results actually changed the storyline and affected what cards got printed. Their first major tournament resulted in an epic story...the organizers had one binder for each faction that could have won that contained the story that would have happened if that faction had won the tournament, including the corrupted evil side (and they even bribed people to secretly support the evil faction, one of these guys even made the late rounds), until the finals where there were two factions who were in storyline hated rivals...and they agreed to a draw. The organizers discussed it, chucked the last two binders and wrote a new path for the story based upon the idea that these two factions had made peace with each other.

I don't expect the WotC guys to be able to pull something like that off on the fly, what with the production schedule, but I would have liked to seen SOME sort of influence on things.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 13 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, since Karn is in it and is not visibly corrupted, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even though Phyrexia wins, Wizards still pulls hail mary bullshit with Karn breaking free of their control at the end and killing or banishing all the praetors or the different factions of New Phyrexia devolving into civil war and the Mirrans still beating them back at the very end. Which is kinda lame, I was hoping for a corrupted Karn planeswalker card.

Also, this is pretty cool, New Phyrexia gets specific tokens depicting compleated versions of native creatures:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/689

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay you babies, you can stop bitching about how infect is impossible to deal with since Melira has been leaked. There's your fix-all card that makes poison worthless, hope you're happy,

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

A black deck that can't get rid of a 2/2 green creature probably sucks anyways.

And man, I can imagine the rage down at the WotC office for letting that godbook loose.
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I know, the spoiler on MTG Salvation went from 44 last night to 175 this morning. Somebody squealed!

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Yeah I know, the spoiler on MTG Salvation went from 44 last night to 175 this morning. Somebody squealed!

Yeah, someone on MTGS got a hold of the godbook, which is a list of the cards and the images.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I may or may not have a copy of this alleged God Book.

And to be fair, while the outcome to the Phreyxia/Mirrodin War was almost certainly predetermined, Mirrodin Pure actually was designed. Also, there is still some Mirran resistance in New Phreyxia, so they'll probably rise up and prevail at some indeterminate point in the future.
Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 21 2011 07:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even though I know it'll become Extended, Mindcrank + Bloodchief Ascension w/ 3 counters = win.

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Apr 25 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

The site has the entire visual spoiler up today, a bit earlier than usual. Guess they figure the cat's out of the bag...

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Apr 25 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They knew that the entire world has seen the full spoiler (in visual form, in fact!). They weren't going to pretend otherwise.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Reply to topic

Jump to: