[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Star Trek vs Star Wars

Reply to topic
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 07:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

SnesGuy wrote:

Yeah i enjoyed First Contact but i never saw any of the other TNG movies, apparently their are a mess and dumb.

Please go watch them for yourself before venturing an opinion based on other people's opinions. You sound like an idiot condemning something you've never even seen. People, please stop pulling opinions out of your asses if you've never actually seen the damn movies!

I like most of the Star Trek movies and I'm not biased in any way (I don't even know what that means as bias really only applies to people like the cast, crew, and families of the actors). I especially liked the TNG films which do look like big budget films and not "made for TV dreck" as another person who has never seen the movies purported.

I can't really comment on the original series movies because I'm not a big fan of TOS, but the TNG films are pretty good. I know it's popular and hip to say "derp, Generations and Insurrection were like LAME man cuz they didn't have no actions" but if you watch them as just entertaining movies instead of looking for an action film, they hold water and are far from unwatchable. Episode fucking I is unwatchable with the terrible acting, incoherent plot, and CGI for the sake of CGI. To even compare that to a film like Generations which is actually entertaining and doesn't make you roll your eyes every two seconds is retarded. Did we forget about the Ewoks already and the clever plot device of "Oops! Another Deathstar! What a twist!"

By my count that's 4 Star Wars films out of 6 that suck ass and are really unwatchable. None of the Star Trek films are "unwatchable" if you're a fan of the TV series. And by unwatchable, I mean you literally can't keep watching the movie without forcing yourself to and even then, you barely pay attention to it. If you're not a fan of Star Trek, then obviously you're not going to be a fan of the movies so have no right to say which is better empirically. I like Star Wars, but am not haunted by nostalgia for it so can plainly see what's good and what's godawful. They're kids movies for the most part.

The 2009 Star Trek was a trainwreck in my opinion. I didn't like it at all which I find interesting. It seems those who liked the sci-fi, pointless action fest with no ending hated the TNG films and those who like the films hated the new one. It was obviously made for the masses, and not those who appreciate the deeper themes they've come to expect from the Star Trek license. I found the action scenes to be mostly contrived (action for action's sake regardless of the plot), the ending was ridiculously lame and anticlimactic, and if the characters weren't named "Kirk" and "Spock", no one would care; it would have been just another lame Sci-Fi movie. To like the new Star Trek movie and hate Nemesis really blows my mind.

Btw, I don't see what's so unbelievable about Picard driving a dune buggy when they land on a desert planet. Would you rather he be in Luke's gay hovercraft? Is that more believable? Fucking weird thing to take umbridge with when you have no problem accepting basic bad film making in the 2009 movie.
Dr. Strangelove
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone ever seen the star wars holiday special movie? I've heard that it was good-bad
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 02:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nice tirade, Panda, but you've outed yourself as a Star Trek fanboy so your assessments are hardly objective (Which was obvious by the language anyway). Also, you lost ALL credibility when you said that none of the Star Trek movies are unwatchable. I'm willing to accept that I'm harder on movies than most people are and that what I find unwatchable others may not, but to say that NONE of the Star Trek movies are unwatchable? This means you have now defended Star Trek V, which signifies one of two things: You have never seen Star Trek V, in which case you are spouting opinions on movies you haven't watched and are now a hypocrite, or your personal taste is SO unconventional (Read: bad) that your valuations of these movies are useless in coming to a general consensus.

Basically, if this were a scientific experiment, you would be one of the points on either end of the graph that was thrown out.

#edit: Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of the new Star Trek movie, it's hardly a trainwreck. It's also ironic that you're bitching about that movie since whiny little shits like you are the reason that movie was bad at all. The casting and acting was superb and everything through Starfleet Acadamy was great, but because of pains in the ass like you who think they're better than everyone else apparently, they had to spend most of the movie explaining why it was an alternate universe and why these weren't the same incarnations of the characters that they remember instead of telling a good story. The movie had a lot of potential, but it suffered to appease YOU, and you don't even fucking appreciate it. Before you start proclaiming how blasphemous these new incarnation of Star Trek is, wait for the next movie. As I said when I reviewed it, I disliked the new Star Trek movie on the whole when it came out, but I was excited for the sequel. The cast is perfect and the first half of the movie shows that they can write, so now that continuity is laid to rest all they have to do is tone down those fucking lens flares a bit and the sequel will likely be a phenomenal movie.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You could have very easily told people that you disagree with their opinions of the movies and tell your opinion panda, instead of calling people idiots.

My opinion on the matter is that the first 4 Star Trek films are great to watch, and I consider them classics. Generations and First Contact were alright, and I did buy them back in the day but I don't consider them on par with the first 4. Insurrection and Nemesis were just a chore to sit through, and I have never re-watched them, and this is coming from someone who owns about 20 VHS tapes of Next Generation. I like the series but I'm able to admit that not all of them are fantastic or even mediocre.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 03:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, pretty much what Jeebus just said.

Panda, I never said I hadn't seen the Star Trek movies. I'm not basing my opinions on what other people say. I'm basing it on my personal opinion and what I've seen. I've seen the vast majority of them. I think I skipped Insurrection and Nemesis (though I've seen portions of both), but other than that I've seen them all. I do find it interesting how most of the Star Trek fanboys don't like the 2009 movie when it resurrected the franchise. Star Trek movies were losing money, and like it or not you actually need people to buy your product to keep it going. So they had to change it into a watchable action film.

It's all personal opinion, obviously, but I don't think people are idiots or childish for preferring Star Wars.

Oh, and yeah, a "gay" hovercraft would have been sweet in that scene.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 03:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TL;DR
also
Pandajuice wrote:
umbridge

is Dolores' last name. Umbrage is what you take.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Pandajuice
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 03:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, first of all Jeebus, reading comprehension is a good thing. Re-read my post please. Or don't as I'll point out what you obviously missed:

Quote:
but to say that NONE of the Star Trek movies are unwatchable? This means you have now defended Star Trek V, which signifies one of two things: You have never seen Star Trek V, in which case you are spouting opinions on movies you haven't watched and are now a hypocrite, or your personal taste is SO unconventional (Read: bad) that your valuations of these movies are useless in coming to a general consensus.

As I said in my post (which you obviously missed): "I can't really comment on the original series movies because I'm not a big fan of TOS.." which means I haven't seen the TOS movies. I wasn't commenting on those. I was taking issue with the people who said the TNG movies were unwatchable or sucked ass and took even more issue with those who said the movies sucked but had actually never seen them.

Quote:

The casting and acting was superb and everything through Starfleet Acadamy was great, but because of pains in the ass like you who think they're better than everyone else apparently, they had to spend most of the movie explaining why it was an alternate universe and why these weren't the same incarnations of the characters that they remember instead of telling a good story. The movie had a lot of potential, but it suffered to appease YOU, and you don't even fucking appreciate it. Before you start proclaiming how blasphemous these new incarnation of Star Trek is, wait for the next movie.

Wow, I'm not sure how I got lumped into that group of people especially considering the things I wrote in my previous post. Again, I'm not a fan at all of the Original Series. I find it campy and silly but not in the good way that the Batman TV show was campy and silly. So I have absolutely no stock in the 2009 film whatsoever and hardly demanded anything, nor did I ever use the word "blasphemous". I merely said it was a bad film that when approached outside the lens of nostalgia, is a badly made and boring movie. You and I both disliked the movie for what it was, so I'm not sure what your beef is and how I got lumped into being a rabid TOS zealot.

Also, I'm hardly a Star Trek fanboy. Because I enjoy TNG and Voyager and love the TNG movies, I'm a fanboy? Isn't the definition of a fanboy one who blindly defends a particular license no matter what? I hate the Original Series, DS9 was shitty, and I can't even begin to talk about why Enterprise sucked. So no, I'm not a fanboy at all; I just enjoy TNG and the 4 TNG movies because they are GOOD.

Quote:

You could have very easily told people that you disagree with their opinions of the movies and tell your opinion panda, instead of calling people idiots.

I called snesguy an idiot because he hasn't even seen the movies but declared them to suck based on other people's opinions. To me, that's an idiot, i.e. one who is ignorant.

I enjoy every TNG movie and don't even find Insurrection a chore to sit through. It entertains me and that's just my opinion.

Quote:

It's all personal opinion, obviously, but I don't think people are idiots or childish for preferring Star Wars.

Again, I never said they were idiots or childish for preferring Star Wars. People are idiots for announcing Generations, Insurrection and Nemesis are shitty messes without ever having seen them. And let's face it, Star Wars is aimed at children and always was. That's why everyone loved them as kids. That's why my 11 and 8 stepsons like Star Wars and don't mind Jar Jar. It doesn't make one childish for liking it, I agree, but they are kids movies.

Quote:

And I like Luke's "gay" hovercraft!

Aha! I knew it!
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:
It was obviously made for the masses, and not those who appreciate the deeper themes they've come to expect from the Star Trek license.

So... something made so the majority of people will like it is a bad thing?

I enjoyed the new movie, probably because they eased up on some of the ridiculously boring depth that a minority of people enjoy.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 04:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Damn it! Panda quoted me before I had edited my post! The truth is out.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Dr. Strangelove
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 04:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:

I called snesguy an idiot because he hasn't even seen the movies but declared them to suck based on other people's opinions. To me, that's an idiot, i.e. one who is ignorant.

I think that the Twilight movies suck. Having not seen them, does that make me an idiot?

Also, idiot and ignorant are not synonymous. Darwin was completely ignorant of the concept of genes, does that make him an idiot?
Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Pandajuice wrote:

I think that the Twilight movies suck. Having not seen them, does that make me an idiot?

Also, idiot and ignorant are not synonymous. Darwin was completely ignorant of the concept of genes, does that make him an idiot?

That's because people look at the genius that is Twilight series and think of them as Sci-fi/Horror films, when in fact they are Action/Romance films!

That doesn't make you an idiot, kind sir, that makes you a hater!

Good, day!
Pandajuice
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 07:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Pandajuice wrote:
It was obviously made for the masses, and not those who appreciate the deeper themes they've come to expect from the Star Trek license.

So... something made so the majority of people will like it is a bad thing?

No, I just said that's probably why most Star Trek fans didn't like it. That comment was mixed in with my critiques of the movie so I can see why you thought I was saying that, sorry.
SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 08:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think it makes you an idiot if you base your opinions on n other people's opinions. Several people have told including my father and a science teacher that the TNG movies are mediocre and shitty. Now have a watched Insurrection and Generations? no i have not, however, having heard several opinions that i found believable from trust worthy people i assumed that the movies blew, but to show that i am not an "idiot" as you seem fit to call me, i plan to watch both of the movies and will get back to you on my own opinion.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I always liked Star Wars more, but that was mostly because my mom married some fat dickhead that loved Star Trek and since I hated him, I hated Star Trek.

The classic Star Wars are a little lamer now that I'm older but as a kid they blew my mind. The prequels I didn't care much for but it seems that was how nearly everyone felt. Those Star Wars cartoons they have on now are pretty "meh" too.

I suppose if it wasn't for my dickhead step-father I would have enjoyed Star Trek too. I do appreciate some of the stuff it did pop culture wise though. I don't know what the board stance is on that Star Trek movie that came out a few years back but I did see that and thought it was pretty decent. I'd probably even consider going back and watching old episodes if I knew where to start to see if I did like the shows.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SnesGuy wrote:
I dont think it makes you an idiot if you base your opinions on n other people's opinions. Several people have told including my father and a science teacher that the TNG movies are mediocre and shitty. Now have a watched Insurrection and Generations? no i have not, however, having heard several opinions that i found believable from trust worthy people i assumed that the movies blew, but to show that i am not an "idiot" as you seem fit to call me, i plan to watch both of the movies and will get back to you on my own opinion.

Dude, they're awful movies. Don't watch them just to sate a troll.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't seen all the star trek movies ( just 2,3,4, Generations , first contact, and the reboot.) or all the star wars movies (1,3,4,5,6) .I do enjoy 4,5,6 of star wars far more than the 3 star trek movies i like over:wrath of kahn and the reboot

Dr. Strangelove
PostPosted: Jan 05 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Out of curiosity, what makes Star trek V so bad? I have never seen it, nor heard anything about it other than it sucks.
SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
SnesGuy wrote:

I watched the first ten minutes of insurrection, i now have an opinion and i say its garbage because its a star trek movie trying to be an action movie but it blows. God this is terrible thanks panda

Pandajuice
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 06:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:

No, watch them to make a better, more informed opinion on the topic. If you're not willing to do that, then STFU on this particular topic. I'm not trolling Jeebus; it's just annoying when people declare something is shitty without having any experience with it. If I said the last 5 Magic sets were garbage and WOTC has gone downhill since 1996 without even laying my hand on a card and not having played Magic for 15 years, you'd think me an idiot too, wouldn't you?

And Snesguy, while I appreciate the effort to better yourself, watching only 10 minutes of a movie still isn't enough to formulate an informed or an even remotely respectable opinion. Next time, try harder and don't go into it determined to hate it. I'm not talking about ST movies only, but all areas of life.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 08:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice, be careful not to go down the avenue of demanding that all things be experienced first hand in order to make an informed decision. For someone to make commentary on a topic, they really only need to be informed. Perhaps to discuss the intricacies of it, they need first hand experience, but there is definitely a limit to how much a person must personally experience to make a wise choice and further discuss it.

I certainly hope that all of my politicians are not playing with nuclear weapons just so that they can go to Kim Jong-il and try to explain that nukes are bad. Having a few of them who can explain Atomic weapons well should be enough for the rest to make an informed decision.

Pandajuice
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 09:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's fine if we're talking about nuclear weapons and other hyperbole GPF, but we're not. We're talking about art i.e., movies. Nuclear weapons being bad is a fact and there are other facts one can study to reach that conclusion; there's no real subjectivity there.
How can one comment on whether a movie sucks or not without having seen it no matter how informed they may be? It's irrelevant how many other people they've spoken to because whether someone finds a movie good or bad is pure subjective opinion.

For instance, I liked Dragonball: Evolution when just about everyone else hated it. If I'd listened to those people and spouted off about how Dragonball: Evolution sucks balls to everyone without having seen it, I'd have missed out on something I actually liked and possibly turned off other people who may have liked it too. Forming one's opinion based on other people's opinions is just a dumb way to approach art.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

First off, I would like to state I have seen every Star Trek movie, as well as every Star Wars movie. Also, I have seen every episode of every Star Trek television series, as well as nearly every episode of all the Star Wars television series, save a few episodes at the end of the computer animated Clone Wars series. Now, Star Wars is iconic as a movie series, and Star Trek is iconic as a TV series. Based on those facts alone, Star Wars wins in the movie category. As far as television goes, Star Trek wins.

Hopefully one day they will do something better with the Stargate series in terms of film and it can join this type of ridiculous discussion.

This reminds me of when I got into an argument with my seventh grade English teacher over Star Trek vs. Star Wars and we compared the Enterprise to Star Destroyers and Borg Cubes to the Death Star. She was pissed because I read some Star Wars books and used them in a book report, lol. We got another teacher involved and both made our points and I ended up winning with my reasoning that Star Wars >Star Trek because of Lando Calrissian. That English teacher failed me later on, the bitch.

Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alas, the opening salvos of the Star Trek Wars have been fired...

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 03:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PandaJuice: I have never seen Inglorious Basterds, but I would hate the movie. Am I making a retarded, uninformed decision? Absolutely not. I HATE Tarantino's movies. The trailer for Inglorious Basterds looked like it would be a great movie, but I knew better than to go see it because I knew it would just be 3 hours of Tarantino's boring, self-indulgent dialogue with almost no action beyond what's scene in the trailer. From what I hear from people who love the movie, I am indeed correct and I would hate it. Also, while I wouldn't have been confident enough to bet money on it, I had a suspicion that it would end the way it did, and that ending appalls me.
Fun fact: that ending also appalled writers of like every Jewish magazine, who all thought the movie was garbage.

Now I have given my opinion of Inglorious Basterds (It is another Tarantino ego project that I would never want to sit through) without having seen the movie. Based on my reasoning, am I an idiot for judging a movie that I haven't seen?

UsaSatsui wrote:

Pandajuice
PostPosted: Jan 06 2011 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well somewhat. No, you aren't an idiot for making an educated guess based on a particular director that YOU would personally hate the film. I have no problem with that. But you would be an idiot if you went on a message board and declared that it was a shitty movie and a garbled, unwatchable mess without having seen it. Do you see the difference?

Fun fact: I love Tarantino usually but I really didn't like Inglorious Basterds. I made an informed and educated guess that I would love it based on his other movies, but I was incorrect.
Reply to topic

Jump to: