"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Star Trek vs Star Wars

Reply to topic
slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jan 02 2011 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alright I'm just going to come out and say it. I prefer Star Trek to Star Wars. Although that maybe contrary to most of America. Star Trek movies are often hit or miss but at least there is some kind of interesting plotline, not to mention far better dialogue, acting, and character development. Star Wars is really more for children.
Miguelius
Title: 83956789546
PostPosted: Jan 02 2011 06:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm kinda old schooler in this one. I like Star Wars better, but I call Star Wars to only 3 movies.
I think I didn't watch enough Star trek either...
slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Jan 02 2011 06:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well to be fair there is a significant difference between the old Star Wars and the new. The new ones were so atrocious I can't even believe they have the 'Star Wars' label on them. The old ones were classic, however I probably enjoyed them so much because I was a kid when I saw them.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

mavsfan0041
Title: Title
PostPosted: Jan 03 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am really fond of the books written in the Star Wars universe. They're very good IMHO. I haven't read any similar Star Trek books though.
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 03 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

i wouldn't compare. i like both in different ways.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Jan 03 2011 04:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Never really dug Star Trek, I can appreciate it's pop culture impact though, Star Wars is one of those things that was awesome as a kid and gets lamer the older I get.

When it comes to sci fi franchises Battletech has always been my favorite, although getting new novels in dead tree format will probably never happen again, and I don't do kindles or e book readers, so my dose of fiction comes from what they cram in between each chapter of a rule book, and what I free ball on my own for an ongoing campaign, which is sadly on permanent hold until I get my friends interested again and finish painting all my miniatures.... what were we talking about? Confused

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jan 03 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've always preferred Star Trek, mostly because I somehow missed the whole Star Wars thing as a kid so by the time I did see it and understand why everyone loved it, I was too old for it to really get a hold on me. However, coming home from school every day and turning on ST:TNG is a very happy memory.

Not to blow my own horn but I wrote a piece for Gunaxin last year that deals with this very subject, in a way all hetereosexual men can understand. Have a read!

Link: http://girls.gunaxin.com/where-are-all-the-star-wars-babes/37279
IceWarm
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 03:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I loved the original Star Wars movies and really enjoyed all the Star Trek movies/shows. For me its a toss up.

"Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it’s because they sat there that they were able to do it."

"Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties, number one being, you're fighting in a basement."

"You're Not So Tough Without Your Veggie!"

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

With the sole exception of the new Star Trek movie made in 2009, I would rather watch Jar Jar Binks dialog scenes than just about any episode or movie from Star Trek.

Comparing to video games... in many ways I feel like Star Trek is very similar to a multifaction RTS, while Star Wars is an Epic MMO.

The idea being that Star Trek is always about the small micromanagement of large amounts of people while Star Wars is about larger conspiracies but always has a tight focus on a few key individuals.

Dr. Strangelove
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

For me, I feel that in both situations the originals were better.

However, Next Generation and the other star treks >> Star wars prequels. Those have to be the biggest budget bad movies ever made.

I suppose I liked the new star trek movie, but I couldn't stand the guy they got to play spock, mostly just because of his wimpy voice.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since this is the movie's forum, I'll focus only on the movies and not on the various shows. Based on movies alone, Star Wars is easily better. Exactly 50% of the Star Wars movies are unwatchable. More than 50% of the Star Trek movies are unwatchable. Simple as that.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with Jeebs. Overall, I like Star Trek as a setting better, but in terms of just movies, I have to say Star Wars. I still can't stomach ep. I or III, but I guess that's just a personal thing.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 01:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well episodes 1, 2, and 3 are the 50% that are unwatchable. The list of unwatchable Star Trek movies is like 75% of them though.

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Well episodes 1, 2, and 3 are the 50% that are unwatchable. The list of unwatchable Star Trek movies is like 75% of them though.

See, I didn't mind II that much for Star Wars, but yeah, pretty much everything besides Wrath of Khan and the remake are just awful.

Dr. Strangelove
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 02:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

See, I didn't mind II that much for Star Wars, but yeah, pretty much everything besides Wrath of Khan and the remake are just awful.

Choosing which prequel is the best is like asking someone to choose between Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis.

But yeah, comparing movies only, Star wars wins

edit:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Since this is the movie's forum, I'll focus only on the movies and not on the various shows. Based on movies alone, Star Wars is easily better. Exactly 50% of the Star Wars movies are unwatchable. More than 50% of the Star Trek movies are unwatchable. Simple as that.

You are forgetting the star wars holiday special! That was certainly unwatchable
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i don't get it how you can possible dislike star wars episode 1-3 that much as a person who really liked star wars 4-6. I mean, yeah, the whole movies have no charme and the actors aren't that great. Take that and add Jar Jar and yeah, i can understand the grief. But anyway they are Star Wars movies wich round out a one of the greatest storys of our time. You have to appreciate that.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

SNESGuy
Title: El Duderino
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 02:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

I never thought Start Trek the motion picture was that bad, its just it had no action and was boring, but it was interesting boring

aeonic
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 03:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
i don't get it how you can possible dislike star wars episode 1-3 that much as a person who really liked star wars 4-6. I mean, yeah, the whole movies have no charme and the actors aren't that great. Take that and add Jar Jar and yeah, i can understand the grief. But anyway they are Star Wars movies wich round out a one of the greatest storys of our time. You have to appreciate that.

Actually, and this is just a personal opinion, if the episodes I-III hadn't been made, I'd have been just fine with that. The story was pretty much self-contained to start with until Lucas decided he needed exposition/shitloads more cash.

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

2009 Star Trek was good. Other than that, I have no interest in it.

Star Wars III and forward are awesome IMO,
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

First Contact may not be brilliant, but it's certainly not unwatchable. Also, Steppenwolf.

UsaSatsui wrote:

SNESGuy
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 06:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
aeonic wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

First Contact may not be brilliant, but it's certainly not unwatchable. Also, Steppenwolf.

Yeah i enjoyed First Contact but i never saw any of the other TNG movies, apparently their are a mess and dumb.

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 06:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that Star Trek is hit or miss, although the bad Star Treks are still better than the bad Star Wars. Mostly due to the much better acting and the character development was in existence. The original Star Wars were certainly better as far as character development and acting, however as a kid they are far more enjoyable. As an adult they don't stimulate me as intellectually any more. The bad Star Treks are still occasionally fun due to some humorous quirks from time to time. However the new new Star Wars movies were absolutely INSULTING to anyone over twelve.

A quick rundown IMO
Star Trek: the Motion Picture...kinda boring and unmemorable
Star Trek II...good one, liked it
Star Trek III...pretty good as well
Star Trek IV....pretty good, funny as hell
Star Trek V.....pretty awful
Star Trek VI...not bad
Generations....eh, just okay
First Contact....pretty good
Insurrection....just okay
Nemesis....not bad
never saw any others

Star Wars
Ep. 1....Awful. Just a light show for kids and special effects whores
Ep. 2 ...same
Ep. 3....same, Darth Vader screaming NOOOOOOOOOOO at the end had to be the cheesiest moment in any movie anywhere ever.
Ep. 4....Fun to watch, although Luke was kind of a baby. Liked Han Solo's character though
Ep. 5....Overall good movie, probably the best movie in the original trilogy
Ep. 6....The movie of my childhood, although seeing it now the ewoks are a little annoying.
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 06:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you would list Insurrection and Nemesis, especially Nemesis, as anything other than fucking terrible, you're heavily biased.

UsaSatsui wrote:

SNESGuy
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 09:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
If you would list Insurrection and Nemesis, especially Nemesis, as anything other than fucking terrible, you're heavily biased.

My thoughts exactly i heard those were complete garbage, and also generations was shit apparently.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jan 04 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What's the one where Captain Picard is fighting off aliens while driving a dune buggy? I turned on Syfy during that scene and couldn't last more than 5 minutes. The Star Trek movies I've seen are either horrible or merely OK. A handful have been decent, though this last one was really great...which ironically is the one that pissed off the most diehard Star Trek fans.

Say what you want about the Star Wars prequels, but at least they're well-produced and look good. The bad Star Trek films look like made-for-TV dreck.

As a whole, the Star Wars films are far superior. It's not even a contest.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Reply to topic

Jump to: