[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The next James Bond :(

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 23 2005 08:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pierce Brosnan was fired as James Bond a couple of months ago because he was "too old" and about a week ago some jabroni named Daniel Craig was picked as the new Bond. This is what he looks like:

I could be wrong here, but I thought Bond was supposed to be suave and photogenic. Mr. Craig is neither. He'll never be as good as Brosnan, Moore, or Connery. Ever. Even Colin Farrell would have been better than this asshole.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Oct 23 2005 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They wanted more of a gritty Bond like the one "supposedly" in the books. I have never read any of the books, so I can not say whether or not novel Bond is gritty. But, hey, I like a change of pace.

And my favorite Bond film was License to Kill which was the most unBond movie of the bunch. It's just a good revenge film with a superb cast.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 23 2005 09:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've read a couple of the books, but the only one I really remember was The Man With The Golden Gun. The plot was *very* different from the movie with Christopher Lee, but Bond was still a gentlemen spy with stealth, cunning, charisma, and class. Bond was never meant to be gritty and even if that *had* been Ian Fleming's original intent, it's not want cinemaphiles want from Bond. They want cartoony villains, cool gadgets, covert operations, double crosses, action sequences, and a cute love interest. Bond doesn't need to be XXX. Besides, XXX sucked.

As for a favorite Bond movie, I'd probably pick Goldeneye, A View To A Kill, Die Another Day, or The Spy Who Loved Me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
OctoMan
PostPosted: Oct 23 2005 09:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I miss the days when things were simple: we were the Good Guys, and the Russians were the Bad Guys (I've also often wondered whether, in Cold War-era Russian films, the villains had American accents. I assume so. But anyway...)

I'm with Tebor, I guess: as much as I liked Pierce, a change of pace is fine (as long as the guy is British, at least... is he?). Besides, they can do wonderful things with makeup and wardrobe. Wink

As for fave Bond movies, I don't completely remember, but maybe GoldenEye and Diamonds Are Forever. Well, now that I write that, I have to think again... what's the one with the cool archvillain, and Fort Knox... oh yeah, Goldfinger. Oh, and I also love the one where at the end Jaws gets the chick (as a whole, that's one of the lesser movies, IIRC, but that scene is awesome Smile).
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 23 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Bond was never meant to be gritty and even if that *had* been Ian Fleming's original intent, it's not want cinemaphiles want from Bond. They want cartoony villains, cool gadgets, covert operations, double crosses, action sequences, and a cute love interest. Bond doesn't need to be XXX. Besides, XXX sucked.

"Moral is: Don't be a dick, Dick!" xXx is movie much like the Scorpion King to me. Neither is a great movie, but they were surprisingly fun. I can still watch xXx today (and did on USA, I think) and enjoy it.

Syd Lexia wrote:
As for a favorite Bond movie, I'd probably pick Goldeneye, A View To A Kill, Die Another Day, or The Spy Who Loved Me.

GoldenEye is a movie that is one of the most Bond of the Pierce's, but to me, I only like it because of the video game.

A View to a Kill is just plain awesome because: The Avengers' Steele is killed and Christopher Walken is the main bad guy as Bill Gates... well, someone like that. James Bond also bangs Grace Jones Shocked .

The Spy Who Loved Me, I only saw once and it was OK from what I remember.

Die Another Day... I'm not sure what to tell you, man. I am curious as to why it's one of your favorites though.

Tuckster wrote:
Oh, and I also love the one where at the end Jaws gets the chick

I totally agree with that one. In fact, I was just talking about that scene with some people (the conversation was about the side villains who have changes to the good side and side characters who turn out to be evil). Jaws' happy ending is a highlight on everyone's list. Except for people who hate life. And themselves.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tuckster wrote:
Oh, and I also love the one where at the end Jaws gets the chick (as a whole, that's one of the lesser movies, IIRC, but that scene is awesome

That's Moonraker, I think.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 02:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:

Die Another Day... I'm not sure what to tell you, man. I am curious as to why it's one of your favorites though.

It was a solid film with a good setup. After two fairly weak outings, this film showed that Bond could still be relevant in a post-Soviet world. Plus, I enjoyed all the references to the other 19 Bond films that they threw in there. The only bad thing about it was that Desmond Llewelyn died before they made it. If this had been the last movie, it would have been a strong end to the franchise.
Darklire
Title: I get a Title?
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't care that he died after I found out Cleese was the replacement. Cleese should just be Bond and make it comedy and I would see it because Cleese is funny and everyone else sucks.

I'm just being silly right now btw.

P.S. I was eating pasta just now and all of a sudden smelt pussy. Anyone think there's a connection? (No the pasta doesnt have fish in it, yes I've had pussy recently so I'm not aching for it.)

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 01:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Darklire wrote:
I didn't care that he died after I found out Cleese was the replacement.

Yeah, it was rather fortuitous that they introduced Cleese in The World Is Not Enough.
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 02:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It should've been Clive Owen...
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 02:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

greeneyedzeke wrote:
It should've been Clive Owen...

Hell yeah!
OctoMan
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

greeneyedzeke wrote:
It should've been Clive Owen

It should've been Owen Nolan.

Ok. Sorry. Razz
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 24 2005 05:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here here to Clive Owen. Alas, he would've come with baggage. Everyone knows him know. Baggage and Bond never mix, unless it is obscure TV baggage.

Reply to topic

Jump to: