SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Things that piss you off, the TV edition

Reply to topic
kalemklub
PostPosted: Oct 10 2014 07:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Something else that bugs me: How much the survival of certain cartoons depend on merchandising. Not that I have any hard numbers that back me up or anything, but I feel like for every success story like the TMNT or Transformers franchise, there are others who mercilessly got the axe for failing to come up with toys that pandered to kids and, specifically, their parents' wallets.

Sym-bionic Titan was cancelled because, as rumor would have it, the marketing people couldn't figure out how to develop a toy line for it. And it was a show about aliens, monsters, and robots that combined to form an even bigger robot. Another example: Swat Kats was canned after two seasons because they couldn't get the toys out on time. (And also, supposedly, because the head of Warner "felt weird" when he'd see the female anthropomorphic cats onscreen.)
Methid Man
Title: Spawn of Billy Mays
PostPosted: Oct 10 2014 09:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

kalemklub wrote:
Something else that bugs me: How much the survival of certain cartoons depend on merchandising. Not that I have any hard numbers that back me up or anything, but I feel like for every success story like the TMNT or Transformers franchise, there are others who mercilessly got the axe for failing to come up with toys that pandered to kids and, specifically, their parents' wallets.

Sym-bionic Titan was cancelled because, as rumor would have it, the marketing people couldn't figure out how to develop a toy line for it. And it was a show about aliens, monsters, and robots that combined to form an even bigger robot. Another example: Swat Kats was canned after two seasons because they couldn't get the toys out on time. (And also, supposedly, because the head of Warner "felt weird" when he'd see the female anthropomorphic cats onscreen.)

What's sad is that many western cartoons are little more than half-hour long commercials. Their prime purpose is to sell toys/merchandise. If they can't serve that purpose, out they go even if they happen to be awesome... The 2002 He-Man cartoon, despite winning an Emmy award and being superior to the 80's series in some ways, didn't last as long as it could have because of the mishandling of the toyline.

jprime wrote:
Why is the forum named "Littlest RPG"? Does that stand for something other than "Role-Playing Game" or "Rocket-Propelled Grenade"?

No idea. I didn't create the forum.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Fuck Liefeld, Give Me Che
PostPosted: Jul 15 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Police procedurals and zombie stories: All the same these days, just like First Person Shooters.

C.B.S: All police procedurals and terrible comedies. Stephen Colbert and Supergirl were much better on other channels.

Disney buying Fox: It will probably turn a channel with a long history of excellent shows into boring bullshit.

Medicine advertisements that show cheerful imagery while listing horrible side effects: Dfinitely made by sociopaths.

Advertisements in general: Greedyy, manipulative, unpleasant and probably made by sociopaths.

Shows that do not let me fast forward the advertisements.

Censorship, fuck censorship, it ruins everything, deludes us, encourages fascism and is really arbitrary, and censors are the worst men in the world.. I do not believe in universal morality, except that censorship is inherently evil,
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Aug 14 2021 06:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Overly advertised edgy cartoons that are a ripoff of Family Guy. I don't watch much TV anymore, but there was a Reddit conversation about this, and I remembered hating it on Netflix.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Reply to topic

Jump to: