"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The SHSIP Support Group

Reply to topic
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Oct 01 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What does SHSIP stand for? The SoldierHawk Self-Improvement Plan, of course!

(Warning, long and possibly boring post ahead. Just sayin'.)

So when I left for LDAC, I was in pretty awesome shape. Was in even better shape when I got back. Since then I've rather...well, fallen off the wagon, to put it kindly. Part of it is that the extreme pressure of LDAC is over, but the other part of it is just time and stress. I get up so fucking early, and go til so fucking late often 7 days a week doing multiple, highly stressful things, and I feel like I have neither the time nor the energy to exercise or eat properly anymore. (This isn't me whining--at least not much--I'm just trying to lay out the situation.) Also, since I'm a senior cadet now, we don't actually DO PT during PT time--we're in charge of running it, so no real workout there either. This is an unacceptable state of affairs, for three reasons:

1. I still have to take PT tests at regular intervals. I do NOT want to show badly on those. If I had to take one right now, I'd pass, but it wouldn't be pretty.

2. My pipe-dream goal is to meet the standards for the Physical Fitness Excellence patch by May (when I commission.) The standards are as follows for a 27 year old female: 42 push-ups, 73 sit-ups, and a 17:00 run time. I feel that these are more than achievable in this amount of time.

3. I feel like shit. I had this moment of clarity today while eating two Big Macs...this stuff makes me feel like crap. I don't need that feeling right now, when I need to be at my best energywise and healthwise.

Why do I say all this? Because you guys are my (virtual) buddies, and I need someone to give me a hand if this is going to work. Nothing major, I'm just giving you permission to hold me accountable if and when you catch me in the chat (or in this thread). You'll probably also see my updating on my progress here as a tool for myself as much as anything else.

This is the way I plan to achieve my goals:

- Actually work out. Like, fer srsly work out. Six days a week (Sunday is a rest day) regardless of time or energy level. Cardio every day, with a long run on at least two. Push ups and sit ups should be incorporated every day, regardless of the rest of the workout plan.

- Eat right. I know myself from that ill advised "kick fast food" attempt last year. Completely stopping will not happen I think. However, limiting it to say, once a week is very doable. Part of the issue here--beyond the whole "it tastes great and I love eating it" thing--is that it's so damn fast and convenient. To that end, if anyone has suggestions for easily and quickly prepared healthful snacks/lunches for someone constantly moving around, I'll take all I can get.

- Do some things that involve neither work nor school nor the Army for the sake of my mental health. Must read books for fun. Keep up with my comic reading too. Do not ignore friends, either IRL or on the forums here. Do not shut myself in doing nothing but lesson planning and homework and Army publicity stuff all weekend. Also: sun and fresh air is a requirement.

That's about it. Like I said, mostly for my benefit, but feel free to throw in your two cents and any advice or admonishments you may have.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 01 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
- Do some things that involve neither work nor school nor the Army for the sake of my mental health. Must read books for fun. Keep up with my comic reading too. Do not ignore friends, either IRL or on the forums here. Do not shut myself in doing nothing but lesson planning and homework and Army publicity stuff all weekend. Remember I have a blog and a youtube channel that people follow. Also: sun and fresh air is a requirement.

Fixed. I'm hardly the go-to guy for health advice (GP could surely help you there) but I'm sure if you set your mind to it that you'll do well. The only real changes I've personally made have been switching to fish/chicken instead of beef when I go to a place like BK (usually because I'd be sitting alone at the house if I didn't go), fast food salads are traps. Lastly, don't trust diet/Zero sodas, stick to water or juice.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Oct 01 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Noted. Must also actually create content for blog and YouTube. Got it.

militarysignatures.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Oct 02 2010 01:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hawk,

It is great that you are putting your own life in perspective and setting goals.

My advice is that you listen to either Sean Connery or Yoda, take your pick:

Connery - "Your 'best'! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."
Yoda - "Do or do not... there is no try.”

My point is that you need to commit or ultimately some temptation will lead you astray from your goals.

I wish you very good luck with this and am happy to be here for encouragement.

Tomdincan
Title: Test Icicle
PostPosted: Oct 05 2010 07:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hawk,

Not sure how much advice I can give you on the exercise partion...my PT scores were always in the 70s at best, but when my wife and I decided to start getting back in shape we found that planning out our meals in advance helped us to avoid going to fast food because we weren't hemming and hawing over what to eat. Start small and work up to a longer schedule. We plan our meals out for a month or so. We pre-schedule the days that we do go out to eat, which also gives us something to look forward to.

Throw a few little things into your exercise routine. When we go somewhere, we park far away and walk.

I know it's tough to get back into it, but it will become easier as you get a routine down.

Best of luck to you!

I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 12 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

As a cook, and person who has lost a lot of weight over the past few years, I can tell you that what you eat affects how you feel. Screw antioxidants and such, that stuff is all crap, but if you eat foods rich in vitamins and low in fat, you will end up much healthier and feel better, especially in the morning when your body needs energy to work for the rest of the day (boosting your metabolism).

It's hard to recommend for everybody, but some basic tenants are:

1. Eat a healthy breakfast. This means fruits with reasonable amounts of sugar, fibrous foods, coffee accompanied by room temperature water, etc.. This is important in boosting your metabolism, which will help you absorb vital nutrients, and use them in a beneficial manner.
2. Monitor protein intake. Protein is essential in building muscle, but that is only if you're doing a certain amount of work to turn it into muscle. Otherwise, all excess protein is turned into fat (some good some not, but that's such a grey area right now), which is good in some respects, but only in the right amounts.
3. Calorie counting isn't necessary unless you're trying to lose substantial amounts of weight. You sound active, so as long as you're under about 2,000 calories a day you should be fine. It's really fats that are a problem for most people.
4. Sleep. Eight to ten hours is best for a healthy adult. More or less typically result in poor health, limited energy, etc.
5. I'll get cries of "hippy" during this part, but try to eat fresh food as much as possible, organic, if you can. People will point to that "Big Hormones, chemicals, preservatives etc. haven't been observed much in the long run, but in many tests, they seem to find correlations between such additives and poor health. Just read up on corn-fed beef, and cutting down on mass-produced meat will be much easier.
6. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Pom is being investigated for their bullshit juice ads. Using a spoonful of Canola oil instead of a spoonful of olive oil will not make you into Jack LaLane. Ginseng/ginko/whatever stuff is also complete snake oil. Also, Santa Claus doesn't exist. Just about the only "easy" thing that's good for you are vitamins, and those are only useful if you aren't receiving your daily recommended amounts of certain essential nutrients.
7. Usual doctor stuff. Seriously limit sodium, get your Omega 3's, stay active, apple-a-day, wutevs, homes.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 12 2010 09:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
Screw antioxidants and such, that stuff is all crap

This statement is directly contradicted by your suggestions to take vitamines and eat fruits.

So lets try to clear this up.

Antioxidants by themselves will not keep a person healthy. Sure, they will help, but their use will be magnified by the way that a person treats their body in addition to the added antioxidants.

There are antioxidants in many foods and many of those foods belong in a regular routine diet. Not to mention, vitamine C is important. I don't think I have ever read something that says that Vitamine C is bad for you when taken in reasonable quantities.

When taken with a balanced diet and regular healthy physical routine, antioxidants derived from food or taken as a supplement can provide for additional health benefits.

SoldierHawk
PostPosted: Nov 12 2010 05:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info Jack! Great stuff.

So I haven't been intentionally ignoring this thread, just haven't been posting much (@*#~^& computer.)

I've done a very good job of sticking to my workout schedule. Diet...still a bit of an issue, but I have managed to limit my fast food intake to something approaching reasonable. (Last couple weeks its been twice a week, on days where I go straight through PT and classes from 5am-10:30pm.)

I took a diagnostic PT test last weekend while I was at drill, and was quite pleased with myself. I ran my fasted two miles of all time--17:07, which is very close to my goal. I have no idea where that run came from, and I didn't even realize I was on that kind of a pace until I crossed the finish.

My overall score wasn't as high as I wanted because I think I've been so focused on running--my weakest event--that I let my push ups and sit ups slide. Not terribly, I only lost like 10 sit ups and maybe 5 push ups, but that's a difference of 10-15 overall points. So the challenge now is to balance keeping up that run score while balancing keeping the others up as well.

Still, that run as a big confidence booster for me. At least I know I'm capable. (Which I did anyway, but seeing it official feels damn good.)

militarysignatures.com

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 12 2010 05:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Greg the White wrote:
Screw antioxidants and such, that stuff is all crap

This statement is directly contradicted by your suggestions to take vitamines and eat fruits.

So lets try to clear this up.

Antioxidants by themselves will not keep a person healthy. Sure, they will help, but their use will be magnified by the way that a person treats their body in addition to the added antioxidants.

There are antioxidants in many foods and many of those foods belong in a regular routine diet. Not to mention, vitamine C is important. I don't think I have ever read something that says that Vitamine C is bad for you when taken in reasonable quantities.

When taken with a balanced diet and regular healthy physical routine, antioxidants derived from food or taken as a supplement can provide for additional health benefits.

Sorry, GPF is right. I started typing one thing, decided not to, started on something else, and things got mixed up, and that's my fault.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Reply to topic

Jump to: